Thumbs down Automatically rejected by American advertisers because based in the UK
    Although we are based in the UK, we run a network of successful family-friendly US specific sites.

I believe that being considered a UK publisher may have been the reason why we keep getting rejected instantly when we apply to promote US advertisers.

Is there anything we can do to ensure we are not automatically rejected by American advertisers at CJ?

i know that i've been rejected by UK advertisers immediately too...probably b/c the site is based in the US...

>>probably b/c the site is based in the US...

it is because your physical address is based in the US

I had the opposite problem -- I was rejected for the UK version of a program because I am based in the US. This although I already belong to the American version and make sales for it. I know my site, I know my visitors, and I know I get lots of British visitors. It's just plain silly to reject publishers based on their mailing addresses. The Web is world-wide. Wake up, advertisers!

I agree. Mine is even worse as my physical address is in Singapore althought my sites are targeted for US.

>>Wake up, advertisers!

it is cj who provide the address filter in the first place,
    cj should make all advertisers aware this limitation
    of their filter in the first place

Quite a lot of advertisers are smart enough (?)
    and not use that filter.

Affiliate Manager
    Our program is new to this area. As part of the Account Management team, originally, we set the auto-decline which denied apps for companies based in other countries. We can only ship to US and Canada. We turned that "auto decline" off and have to manually approve each one-we do so very quickly In the applications we receive, there is a place for targeted areas-be sure to use that area. If you are rejected and feel strongly that there is a match, contact the advertiser. I can think of several examples where they were auto-denied based on their location. Had they not contacted us, we would not have learned that this was happening and that we could fix it. An advertiser should then make a new offer, and then you will be off and running.

I can think of several examples where they were auto-denied based on their location. Had they not contacted us, we would not have learned that this was happening and that we could fix it. An advertiser should then make a new offer, and then you will be off and running
    Exactly! This had happen to me almost 50% of the time when I applied for the new merchant(s), auto denied. But I didnt give up hope and drafted an email explaining my targeted traffic and sent to the merchant every time I got denied. To my surprise, more than 90% of the time merchants approved. And I am not only talking about small merchants but big merchants like ebay-US, Discovery Channel, Wal-mart, Cross etc. etc. and not only with Cj but also LS and BF. And site I am talking about was not an establised site at that time but .

As per my experience, I would suggest if you get denied the first time, write back to the merchant. Draft an email and just change merchant's/AM's name :wink:.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

When approving the affiliiate the country of origin is second to site, relevence to products and quality of presentation. I don't care if your on the moon, but if you have good traffic for my products and especially cater to US traffic, then your going to get approved.

Easy for both of us.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert
    When approving the affiliiate the country of origin is second to site
    Exactly. I have one site that is directed at the UK, but only a minority of traffic comes from the UK despite it being on a .co.uk domain and I get plenty of emails from elsewhere asking if we can ship overseas.

You really have to try hard NOT to get international traffic, but rather than make that effort, why not meet the needs of the international visitors -that's what most affiliates do, it's just some merchants that make it more difficult than it need be.

"Exactly. I have one site that is directed at the UK, but only a minority of traffic comes from the UK despite it being on a .co.uk domain and I get plenty of emails from elsewhere asking if we can ship overseas. "

Well it's no wonder, I'm in the US. When I am searching for a product, I can't figure out why Google shows so many UK sites. (Not affiliate sites either) Sometimes the whole first page is loaded with them. I would think that Google would show US sites based on IP address or search "like some store in UK" if thats what I was looking for. Mind you I don't have a problem with UK or any other country, but when Im looking for a fishing pole, I don't need to see UK merchants.

But that may explain why your traffic becomes high from us sites even though it's a .uk address....

Anyone else in the US noticed this?
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Affiliate Manager
    When approving the affiliiate the country of origin is second to site, relevence to products and quality of presentation. I don't care if your on the moon, but if you have good traffic for my products and especially cater to US traffic, then your going to get approved.

Easy for both of us.
    Absolutely-target audeince on site is the most important-I am just suggesting that if you apply to a program and can use the drop down box for "targeted areas", you may not get declined by those who approve manually (which I also know many publishers do not like-manual approval) and think that because of your location, you do not cater to US.

With all of the outsourcing of just about everything these days, makes me wonder if some of the tools in the application process need to be changed and tested.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Rugman is glad to advertise in UK!
    My comment title says it all. As the AM for Rugman.com, I can tell you that we are happy to have UK affiliates (and others around the world) in our program, because we ship our handmade rugs all over the world. (Feel free to check us out!)

As far as I'm concerned, the more local exposure we can get in the various markets we cater to, the better. I'm not sure why an AM wouldn't want that for their product/service (provided they cater to international or even just UK markets) but each business has its own strategy, depending on the individual objectives of THAT particular business.

Warm regards,

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    As far as I'm concerned, the more local exposure we can get in the various markets we cater to, the better. I'm not sure why an AM wouldn't want that for their product/service (provided they cater to international or even just UK markets) but each business has its own strategy, depending on the individual objectives of THAT particular business.

Warm regards,
    We would love exposure everywhere. However, our particular business (we are a licensed manufacturer of software) prohibits shipping/marketing these products in other countries. We do not buy closeout, so although the licensing/replication agreements prohibit this additional marketing, we are able to obtain a larger library of products that are available to us in other channels (the other areas of our business) in addition to what we can offer through afiliate marketing. For those of you that can go everywhere-more power to you

Nancy

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread