I am converting my retail site into an affiliate shopping portal. I became somewhat expert in PERL in my day job automating a Configuration Management system for a software team, and I have written a simple product search engine in PERL... debugging was tricky, but I did it in a few days after work.

The question is whether to use my PERL expertise in my new affiliate marketing venture. Most every post I've read talks of PHP, HTML, and ASP. But what about PERL? I prefer it because I'm comfortable with it, but I don't want to write my datafeed and search software twice... the question being whether I'll regret using PERL. If PERL is a mistake, then I'll learn whatever language I have to.

Thanks in advance!

If you know perl, stick with perl. There is no real difference in the languages. You learn what you learn and use what you can use.

I say if you are comfortable with perl, stick with that one.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

Ditto as Cditty.

Rather than starting all over again just master your skills what you already know. That will save lot of time and your sites will be up and running quickly.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

abound...

I do all of the html programming and lay outs
    on our sites... I also handle the marketing... but...

I don’t know jack about php, perl, etc... I set it up and
    turn it over to my son, who is the programming whiz...
    He uses perl, all perl, and nothing but perl....

According to him... php doesn’t allow you to do half the
    things that you can do with perl... all I know is... all of our
    sites work like a charm... our datafeeds integrate beautifully...
    retrieval is fast and easy, and any little bugs that pop up
    are fixed simply and quickly...

so from where I sit... you’re better off with perl than
    anything else out there... at least it works great for us...

fwiw
    Bob
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Oops... forgot to say...
    Welcome to ABW...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

You see lots of PHP, ASP questions here because thats what newcomers are using - and maybe we'd all be doing the same if starting out now.

There are lots of us using Perl, we just happen by and large to have been doing it a bit longer and so are a bit more self-reliant.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The only Perl book I ever bought I gave as a gag gift to my sister for her birthday. She's totally computer illiterate but has a hobby making beaded glass, crystal and faux perl bracelets. Title was "Advanced Perl Threading Techniques", Her hubby who has figured out AOL e-mail and chat fell off his chair laughing
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I'll agree with the others who recommend sticking with what you know.

I use Perl for all my sites. It's probably not as quick to develop as more modern languages, but it's far more flexible.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    You see lots of PHP, ASP questions here because thats what newcomers are using - and maybe we'd all be doing the same if starting out now.

There are lots of us using Perl, we just happen by and large to have been doing it a bit longer and so are a bit more self-reliant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

The whole damn internet practically runs on PERL.

And there's bucket loads of code out there in modules to do most of the stuff you want.

PHP is only popular because it's easier for newbies to use simply by uploading to their website, rather than having to make sure you have a server that allows forieng perl scripts etc.

Thank you everybody all the positive responses. I am so relieved I don't have to learn php. Maybe I will for fun one day (yeah right), but I for now I will just stick with what I know.

Thanks again!
    Mike

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread