View Poll Results: What site search tool are you using?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not using search.

1 5.88%
  • Server based search (example: HtDig).

5 29.41%
  • Server based entropy (commonly available via cpanel).

1 5.88%
  • Web-Based (service) search (example: Google).

5 29.41%
  • Other.

5 29.41%
    On your data feed site(s) what search tool are you using (if any) to give your site visitors an extra chance to find the product they are looking for.

Sites from a few pages to a few hundred pages can use many search tools available - if this is your situation, my question is not for you. But those with thousands or tens-of-thousands of pages need something much more robust, and potentially more costly.

So my question specifically applies to sites with thousands of pages (or more), not just a few.

I know the answers in the poll, won't begin to cover all the possibilities, so feel free to elaborate (please). What are you using, and what are you paying if anything?

Thanks,

Fred

I am using HtDig at two of my sites. One site has approximately 110k documents, while the other has about 70k in documents.

I use HtDig, because it is free, capable of indexing millions of documents, super fast and the search algorithms are very configurable. The downside is that is requires shell access at the server, and uses a great deal of disk space (several hundred MB for >100K of documents).

The remainder of my sites use the standard entropy search available through cpanel. They are free too.

The reason I went with a free tool, is I am on a budget (who isn't), and was SHOCKED by the ridiculous pricing offered by the "pros" who are happy to come and index your pages for you.

Fred

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I use the Google search and am amazed how many users use it.

I was really excited about the tool you use until I got to the part about shell access LOL

ABW Ambassador
    If you build your site off of a mysql backend, their full text search - using boolean logic, is great.

Chet

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I use the Google search and am amazed how many users use it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd think that was cool if the free version didn't also have a "web" search option...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Just curious Jack,

I was thinking about this option too.

Has Google indexed all of your pages, and how long did it take for them to get them all indexed? How often do they index?

Fred

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Google API through www.digitalpoint.com

I use the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine on some of my sites.

I like how you can customize the look of the results page, and include "Look for whatever at this merchant" links with a bit of tweaking
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Thanks so far for the replies folks, most appreciated. I am going to look into some of them, maybe they would be a better fit for some of my stuff.

Fred

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got FDSE on one site now. For me, it was able to handle a lot more than the docs suggested before it started to bog down. It may not be Google-fast, but it stayed fast enough for quite some time...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Currently using MySQL's full-text searching capabilities. Works pretty fast considering its searching 2.1 million rows.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    I use the http://www.xav.com/ on some of my sites.

I like how you can customize the look of the results page, and include "Look for whatever at this merchant" links with a bit of tweaking <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

I installed my yesterday and in less than 1hr, I had all my pages indexed.

It's very easy to install and have many features that are not available with other free search engines out there.

I recommend the [Fluid Dynamics Search Engine]. What is the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine?

FDSE is an easy-to-install search engine for local and remote sites. It returns fast, accurate results from a template-driven architecture. Freeware and shareware versions are available with Perl source ...more Features...

Sal.

I'm with Chez and Loucon. I just started using a mySQL fulltext boolean search and can't imagine anything better. Good to hear that 2.1 million rows won't inhibit it. I'm only up to about 400k at the moment but am adding more every week. Loucon, do you create static pages from all those 2.1 million rows or do you dynamically generate each one per user request? I'm doing dynamic at the moment and thought when I got to that point I'd have to start writing a static page generator. Anyway, fulltext search is the way to go!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I use my own for the "top 5 positions" then the backfill is based on relevance by google, Yahoo, andseveral others. It can be broken down by either relevance or search enigine, but I still maintain the top5.. a couple of the sites are..

www.411locate.com
    www.city-yellowpages.com

I write my own site search using PHP. It started with a free script from http://www.cj-design.com/ and I changed it to suit my needs. I use a client program to create the data file.

The latest example can be found at http://randysmusic.us/

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread