I show individual web pages for each product in a datafeed without prices (using a 'more...' leader to get folks to continue on to the sales site. How often do others doing roughly the same refresh their pages (ie - daily/weekly/...)

When there were only three sets, no problem - now as I add more it becomes significant and something of a problem to remember which when...

http and a telephoto
    It totally depends on the merchant, if you have a merchant adding lots of seasonal merchandise and you don't refresh to keep up, you will lose shoppers you might otherwise have.

Checking the CJ datafeeds, some merchants haven't updated their supplied feed for over a year, so those don't need to be redone. UNLESS you want to add different content around the feed, like updated graphics and specials, links to your other sites, etc.

It's your site, it's your income, you are in control of how fresh and relevant your pages are
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I am still quite green when it comes to datafeeds. How do you keep track of customization?

I recently downloaded a few updated feeds and discovered that they had changed the catagory names, etc. I am now almost starting from scratch to update my site.

It is starting to appear to me that keeping my sites updated is going to be a very big chore.

Also, how do you avoid having page file names being different? IE redundant content?

School me please. I need to get things straight before I proceed to take on more feeds.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Webdango:

&gt;It is starting to appear to me that keeping my
    &gt;sites updated is going to be a very big chore.

Welcome to affiliate marketing. It's not easy money, despite what you might htink. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize there is a lot of work involved. My point was that when a feed is changed so drastically it is almost like starting over to update my site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

&gt;Also, how do you avoid having page file names
    &gt;being different? IE redundant content?

I'm not sure what you mean. How can you have redundant content? Are you building a searchable site or a browsable site? IF you byuild a page to show tennis rackets and and another to show bicycle gloves, they won't be redundant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By this I meant when I update my site I have a feed that has products named slightly different then when I created the site. A new file name is created and loaded to my server. How do I clear out the old to make way for the new without killing my SE rank?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

&gt;School me please. I need to get things
    &gt;straight before I proceed to take on more
    &gt;feeds.

My experience is just that - experience. I started with a single site that consisted of static links. Four years later and I'm running voer 20 sites with dynamic content from 40+ feeds.

You do need to get things straight before you proceed, but the only person who can school you is yourself.

If you want to benefit from my hard fought and hard earned experience, I'd be glad to help... as a consultant and for a fee. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not looking for a consultant just some helpful advice from someone who has been there done that. For example: to avoid loosing your SE ranks when updating a feed do this and this and this. Here is a link to get more info.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Webdango:

I'm not sure how other people do it, but I don't build static pages. I build dynamic pages that pul content based on a dabase query. For exmaple, my tennis racket page will contain a query to go intot he database and pull out all tennis rackets. So my page, tennis-rackets.asp never changes; the content remains fresh as long as I keep my database fresh.

Don't build static pages, build dynamic pages.

In a nutshell. Build your own database. Load the datafeeds into your database. Query your database to pull product out. Keep your database fresh by reloading the feeds on a regular basis, probably once a week minimum.

TO do the above you will need to know a web programming language. I use ASP in VBScript. A lot of affiliates use PHP.

You will need a database. If your aspirations are small, an Access database will work (I used one in the beginning when I only had a few feeds), though updating an access db is a manual process. Download, update, upoad. Now I use SQL server (which I paid for, by the way, with my affilite profits), in which I can schedule jobs to automate the update process, stored procedures to optimize recordset paging, and full text indexing to maximize search capability. There's also MySQL, but I'm not familiar with that.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just started into the book at the bottom of the page. Steep learning curve though.

I started using webmerge but I am getting into the predicament I am in now.

Thanks for the advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm not familiar with WebMerge, but I"m getting the impression that it build static pages from a database or feed, so that every time you update your db/feed, it rewrites the pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is pretty much it. Works well but like you say if you don't have the file names the same ....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You might benefit from getting a program like Dreamweaver MX, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya I have Dreamweaver and have dabbled in ASP but found it confusing. I was told that PHP is easier to learn so I have gone that route.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Good Luck! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks I am going to need it.

whenever I remember to, I disabled the auto-crons during a server move.. they work but I've had feeds change structure on me without notice.. causes havoc with page display.

Mine are automated as well. I have implemented a few features to accomodate things like products that no longer exist or to deal with duplicate item names etc.

I think it is something that just depends on how much cutomization you want to do, how you want to handle spidered pages that may no longer exist or have changed, etc.

I do think that PHP has a smaller learning curve than ASP. I have never used WebMerge because I prefer some of the dynamic advantages I have found using PHP. I find new ways to improve my automation process all the time and I think you will to given time.

Good luck, keep reading and learning...
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

Shophist:
    Maybe you can get the pre-written store scripts or are you going to start up from a scracth?

I'm using Webmerge, not bad but I like the database driven sites, but I do not want to spend 6 months to have my site ready...

I prefer PHP, is that book enough? I'm getting the chapters to dig on.

Any advice...

AL

The book comes highly recommended and from what I have read it is pretty good.

I am planning to do this for the long haul so even if it takes me a couple months to learn it will be worth it.

Yes get the chapters and read through. That is about all I can suggest.

Webdango: I love your post. The info is greatly appreciated. I had used art.com feeds to plug into my wife’ s site about arts-antiques and we provide some content about the products. Now I’m planning the next move: PHP and some dynamic pages with a feed.
    Still a high learning curve, this a part time project (I do Peoplesoft)…I hardly find 2 hours daily…

I use LunarPages $6.99 monthly, I guess with a stable income I might run my site myself…

Excellent post Webdango -- thank you!

When I read one of your previous posts, I was wondering whether you were running SQL from a home box. I kind of lost interest at that point, but now I am intrigued once again.

Interestingly, I was just on the phone with my ISP about a static IP today!

You know, I never thought about actually running the whole show from home, but you sparked my interest!

I guess I am really fortunate to have a 6MB down and 724k up...without commercial class service. It still seems slow when I try to upload those databases and when I use static files. It would be awesome to have it all online at home!

The drawbacks I have been concerned with about home-based servers are:

1. security - do you worry about hackers?

2. The electricity going out. Doesn't happen often, but you never know. Do you have backup power in place?

3. What if the cable provider goes down. My cable isp says business class gets a response time of no more than 24 hours. Yikes, that is a long time in internet hours! (I did have it go down for 3 days once, that was infuriating!)

What were your biggest concerns before going all "home-grown"? What did you do to overcome them?

Anyone else hosting their own sites from home servers?
    - I am not young enough to know everything

Hi WD,

You are the only one so far I have seen using ASP for your pages. Everyone says its better if I do my pages with php. Wanted to know whats your experience says. I mean regards to datafeeds and all other material available to help affiliates to drive sales. Did you come across any instances that you thought php would have been better. I am asking this as I already have a good know how of ASP and it will take little effort on my part to master it instead of learning php from the scratch.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PMed you as well.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

webdango: thanks for your response.
    I went through your sites (from the signature) response time looks ok to me. (2.33pm ET).
    You have PR 4 on most of your sites, do u get enought visitors on each site??? I'm just curious how you deal with duplicate content? I do not create more than 200 pages trying them to looks different (70-80 % different) using webmerge...

Did you quit your day time job...hope so...
    Greetz.

ABW Ambassador
    My product database is 2.5 million non-media records and is completely refreshed once a week, sometimes twice a week.

My primary web site uses a legit copy of SQL server on some massive hardware to handle this large DB.

I have several $99/mo windows wed edition servers around the internet that host bunches of web sites. These all have a MSDE back end (SQL Server Desktop Engine - FREE)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    I can push tables from my primary SQL server to the MSDE engines to update my data.

MSDE is just like SQL Server but it only handles 5 queries concurrent queries. This is not a problem for most affiliate operations. MSDE runs a site of mine that gets over 1.1 million page views per month without blinking. Performance is NOT an issue.

MSDE can also be controlled with Enterprise Magager from SQL server, can run DTS jobs, has a scheduler, etc. It does NOT have replication (big deal).

Windows 2003 Web edition is $350 and can run the MSDE engine. This is not an expensive solution for hosting.

Why not use MySQL? That's what I use and it works fine. Mine seems to handle up to 300 requests per second without even blinking. Full Text indexing is available in the newer versions.

Linux, Apache, and MySQL is a tough combination to beat.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread