Ok, here's the score. I currently run entertainment sites, looking to start up some new sites using datafeeds selling specific products on each site.

I've been reading a little on here about Webmerge, sounds good. I do know a little PHP and MYSQL though, so would that be a better option for datafeed sites. If I know PHP, is it going to be easy to make a datafeed site using it? Has anyone got any sample scripts that I can take a look at?

I'm really looking to automate things as much as possible.

When you use PHP/MYSQL for datafeeds, do you generally have to use your own databases, or will some affiliate companies let you link to theirs?

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

far far away....
    WElcome to ABW..

YES, and YES...

if you know PHP/MySQL you are light-years ahead of most newbies that come here asking these questions...

As for a sample... there are many templates offered here using this format...

signup for one of them and then grab your copy of the temple... Chet at Proudmedia is the creator of these templates...

So I'd say get the signup for Dead Sea Point the temolate is the forum for members of that program... just remember that it's a dynamic template, meaning the database is on chet's server...when the Dead Sea database is updated all websites using the template are updated at the same time...

Just change database config in config.php to you r website's database info... simplier then it sounds...

that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Thanks for your welcome and reply

I wrote all the PHP for my own sites and they all use MYSQL databases, so I'm guessing I should be able to do this without too much trouble.

From having read a bit more, I think using PHP is a much better option that Webmerge.

I'll check out the templates, sounds like a good idea for starting off. Presumably those templates only work with that specific affiliate program though?

How do I get a general template that I can modify to make my own sites using my own databases if need be? Or am I just going to have to write some code myself?

If you are happy with coding up PHP and mySQL then I would stick with doing your own thing.

That way your site will be absolutely unique, which has to be good news from a SEO point of view, as long as you were doing the SEO tsuf right in the first place.

I have been in IT nearly 30 years and have used a whole variety of things over the years and think PHP is pretty nifty.

The bonus is that is you are stuck on something in PHP and bung a few keywords into Google, then 9 times out of 10 someone has been there before and you will find an answer within a minute or two and often sample code as well.

For all my new work now I use PHP classes so it is then easy to do a global change to all pages in one go.

Have a read of

You''l need to read this page and when at the bottom click on the "next" link (bottom right).

You may find it easier to cut and past all the pages for this article into a Word doc and then print that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Les I'll check that out in the next few days as I try and find some spare time to start on the coding.

Even if working on the datafeed with the flat file itself, and not importing it to a MySQL database you should still have an easier time of it with PHP, then with a static generated site.

The 'upgrade' path when a new version of the datafeed is released is a lot simpler.

Flatfile - upload - done

Flatfile imported to MySQL - upload - import - done (The only thing you need to make sure is you remove any products which are no longer in the datafeed)

Import the datafeed into static pages, upload all of the individual pages (30,000+ with some programs; I've seen some that are even worse - 500 meg+ monster sites generated from datafeeds.)

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread