Musical instrument merchants?
    I'm looking for a musical instrument merchant that sells band/orchestra type instruments. Zzounds is supposed to be pretty good, but they don't sell those kinds of instruments. Anyone know one that does?

Thanks

I found a couple with linkshare, but I know nothing about them. I wish there was an instrument merchant who was an active member here. These could have parasites or anything, and they look like they both have 800 numbers all over their sites - but they sell all the exact things I'm looking for!

Not sure what to do.

15 years and counting
    I can tell you my experience with music123. I made a ton of money selling their instruments during the time they were affiliated with CJ. Never had a (major) problem. Then they switched their program from CJ to LinkShare, reduced their commission rate and cookie to something ridiculous. Their AM was fired, the president of the cie got involved, it became a real mess. Their first month with LinkShare was a disaster, the second not better, and it didn't improve later. I gave up and worked with better merchants on other verticals. I had several calls from music123 asking me to promote them again, I didn't. I've more non commissioned sales than real sales and their rate is still way too low but I don't care anymore. Try at your own risk.

As far as I know Woodwind & Brasswind and Music123 on LS are the same cie.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks Haiko, but they don't have any woodwind, brass or similar types of instruments though.

Zeus - yes, it looks like Woodwind & Brasswind and Music123 are owned by the same people. I also found a place at cj - Giardinelli.com. They've got other types of instruments, seem higher priced though. And unfortunately, 800 numbers everywhere, and probably parasites.

It doesn't look like I have much of a choice with merchants though, for those types of products. That really sucks!

STOP

Get over to River City right now! You should have asked Professor Harold Hill about this...

He's comes up with a fast talking site http://www.wwbw.com/ and it has an affiliate program. Now how's those apples? One thing, It's a link(snare)drum program.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

That's the Woodwind & Brasswind program - has 800 numbers and maybe parasites.

I've done some more checking around, and the following is a brief summary of what I've found. Hopefully it will be of some use to someone. If anyone has something to add, or correct - please do!

- non band/orchestra merchants: I've found zzounds.com and samedaymusic.com, which must be associated with each other in some way, as the affiliate sign up pages on both sites are very similar. I've only heard of samedaymusic from Haiko mentioning it earlier in this thread, but have only glanced at the site.

merchant: zzounds
    parasite free: yes
    datafeed: yes
    network: not sure, maybe inhouse or cj
    commission: 6% and up, depending upon sales, plus bonuses
    800#: I think they might do tracking of phone orders
    cookie: 45 days
    other: looks good but it lacking in band/orchestra instruments and sheet music

merchant: samedaymusic.com
    parasite free: don't know
    datafeed: dont know
    network: don't know
    commission: 5% plus bonuses
    800#: don't know
    cookie: 1 year!!
    other:

For band/orchestra instruments I found 4 merchants, actually two, because some are associated with each other. There's music123.com and Woodwind & Brasswind (at wwbw.com), which are owned by the same company, and have nearly identical products. And Musicians Friend and Giardinelli, which are owned by the same people too. Giardinelli seems to have a little more expensive stuff.

merchant: music123.com
    datafeed: don't know
    network: linkshare
    commission: 2-8%, depending upon the product
    800#: 800 numbers everywhere and no mention of any order tracking through them
    cookie: 7 days - can you believe that?
    other: has lots of band type instruments and quite a bit of sheet music too

merchant: Woodwind & Brasswind
    network: linkshare
    commission: 2-8 % depending upon the product
    cookie: 7 days again!
    other: nearly same products as music123, less sheet music I think though

merchant: Musicians Friend
    network: I think inhouse or cj
    commission: missed this
    cookie: don't remember
    other: has an exclusivity thing in the agreement.

merchant: Giardinelli
    network: I think inhouse or cj
    commission: missed what they said
    cookie: don't remember
    other: also has an exclusivity thing in the agreement.

for sheet music, as I mentioned music123 has quite a bit, another choice is musicnotes.com, who I think is a member here. Has a lot of electronic sheet music. Is somehow associated with Musicians Friend

merchant: musicnotes.com
    parasite free: I think so
    datafeed: I think so
    network: inhouse
    commission: 8-12%
    800#: not sure
    cookie: 120 days

Amazon also sells musical instrument, but they are still in beta. Some are sold through some of the merchants already mentioned above. Don't know what the commissions, if any, are like.

I think what I will end up doing is use music123 for the band and orchestra type instruments, and use zzounds for the rest. Although samedaymusics 1 year cookie sounds nice. The exclusivity thing for Musicians Friend/Giardinelli really turned me off from their programs.

For the sheet music I will either use music123 or musicnotes, or both.

Ideally, if zzounds would also sell band/orchestra products, I would just use them. Or if another merchant comes along that has a long cookie, phone order tracking, parasite free, etc, that would be great too. Chris? Andy? Someone?

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.

Does that place have a feed Haiko? If so I will gladly join

One thing you should know is ZZounds lowers their commissions if you sell them next to a competitor. I think they reduce you to 5% or something.

I talked to wwbw one time over the phone and was somewhat interested in working with them despite their horrible commission rates and cookie durations. He gave me a couple options, but neither sounded good. He also said he would contact me with information about their datafeed, but he never did. I figured if he was going to drop the ball on this, he might drop the ball on paying me so I never joined up. Unfortunately there isn't a good option for orchestral instruments. I gave up this expedition months ago.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I didn't notice that about zzounds, I will have to check into it. I did notice the bonuses were lower if you have other instrument merchants on the site. I wonder if it will matter if I only promote other merchants with products they don't sell?

ABW Ambassador
    For sheet music, don't forget about Sheet Music Plus.

For instruments, i always seem to see Musician's Friend popping up in my reports. Haven't had much luck with the others but that's off a general shopping site.

I'll keep Sheet Music Plus in mind.

That exclusivity thing still bothers me with Musician's Friend. Plus, the fact that they mail out tons of catalogs, I don't want to have to compete with that!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread