Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    It's a sale? really?
    I get so tired of these stupid eBay ads. I go to google, and type in 'Build It', because I am looking for ideas for a domain name, and up pops this ad:

Build It Sale
    New & used Build It.
    Check out the deals now!
    eBay.com

Now, is eBay REALLY having a sale on Build It? I can actually go to eBay and buy a Build It? Would those be found in the Widget category, or do you consider Build It a lawn and garden item?

Isn't it slightly misleading to imply that, not only can you find a 'Build It' at eBay, but - hey, what about fortunate timing - it also happens to be on SALE?

My curiosity piqued, I then proceed to type in 'dead bunnies'

Sure enough, the only ad to pop up:

eBay: Dead Bunnies
    Great deals on hard to find items.
    Free & easy registration! Aff.
    eBay.com

Well, yeah, you can't just find dead bunnies ANYWHERE, but I'm thinking that, should I search on eBay, the odds of being able to purchase a dead bunny - no, dead BUNNIES - is somewhat remote. I do hope that, should I be proven wrong, they habitually ship on an overnight basis.

I am, after all, not interested in buying 'dead, stinky bunnies'.

And somewhat to my relief, I find that no, an eBay ad does not pop up on the search phrase, 'dead, stinky bunnies'. I guess there is a limit, afterall.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    eBay: Dead Bunnies
    Great deals on hard to find items.
    Free & easy registration! Aff.
    eBay.com
    Those ads drive me nuts, too, because of their coming up regardless of real relevancy.

I also wonder how on Earth an "aff." can make a profit with such broad per-click advertising. Every click on an ad for something that's not really up for auction = a DUD (nonconverting) click, I would think! And there are so many irrelevant terms they come up for, I would expect that it wouldn't take long to end up in the hole.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Those ads drive me nuts too. For the heck of it I typed in maggots and this is what I got:

maggots
    Great deals on Maggots
    Shop Today on Official eBay Site
    ebay.com

I guess you can buy anything on eBay.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

>> how on Earth an "aff." can make a profit with such broad per-click advertising

Its a volume play just like how the real world broadcast ads works !

Stuff enough of the searching public with cookies and you may endup with profit...

Sure their ROI is not exciting and maybe in the range of 10-20% but volume make up for the sub par ROI !

Put the ebay am name in google you will find her on ebay too - eva hung - is she for sale too actually her name is shared with a poet
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Internet Cowboy
    Damn!!
    I was looking for dead bunnies and maggots just last week and bought them new.
    I could have saved money on Ebay!!!!

Maggots and dead bunnies on sale in US ONLY?
    I tried the Google "maggots" test from my office in Germany this morning, and there were no ebay sale offers over here. I also tried "Maden", which is of course, "maggots" in German, but again, no offers from ebay. Germany does have some pretty strict advertising laws though, so maybe it's not legal to buy magots overthe internet here. "dead bunnies" was a no-go too (and "tote Häschen" too). Perhaps the danger of getting a maggot or two with your dead bunny was enough to stop the sale of bunnies too. (Did I REALLY have to go there?)

Anyway, my guess is that the dead bunnies test only works in the US, or maybe English speaking countries. Can someone from the UK or Australia give it a test?
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    eBay caters to the brain dead American audience will to pay big bucks for 20 year old half burnt grilled cheese sandwiches. Must be nice to be a well Hung Adwhore squeezing every nickle out of the bosses Adwords budget.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

>> how on Earth an "aff." can make a profit with such broad per-click advertising

Its a volume play just like how the real world broadcast ads works !
    But broadcast ads don't charge per-click! And I'm sure there are a lot of TV and radio programs where the ad fee doesn't add up the equivalent of 5c/click... Plus, mere exposure can help a TV advertiser--their customers don't have to click a particular link in order for them to get credit for a sale!

Stuff enough of the searching public with cookies and you may endup with profit...
    With free listings or even cheap listings, I could see that being true, but at a nickel (min) per stuffing combined with the mass irrelevancy (diminishing the conversions), I think it'd be easy to get the budget slaughtered...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scohaz
    Damn!!
    I was looking for dead bunnies and maggots just last week and bought them new.
    I could have saved money on Ebay!!!!
    I've been hoarding all the dead bunnies and maggots - trying to dry up the supply so I can get a better price for what I have in my warehouses. It's a cartel - eBay can't compete! But keeping the maggots off the dead bunnies is keeping me plenty busy!

www.deadbunniesandmaggots.com = available... Muah-ha-ha. Take over the world.

- - - - -
    Great deals on Maggots
    - - - - -

ewwww..............

Others:

Body Parts for Sale
    New & used Body Parts. aff
    Check out the huge selection now!
    eBay.com

Psycho Killers
    Low Prices & Huge Selection!
    Register on eBay.
    ebay.com

Dog Fur
    Dog Fur for sale. aff
    Check out the deals now!
    ebay.com

Dog Fur
    Dog Fur for sale. aff
    Check out the deals now!
    ebay.com
    Oh, but this one actually exists~!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...135863811&rd=1

Oh, that is so wrong, jeeese, wearing hats made out of dog fur.....

I stand corrected, however, maybe there is some truth in advertising after all...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Try "Parrot Poop" and see ebay honing in on this in-demand product....

Sponsored Links

/ Bird Stand Gym Toy
    Pet Supplies - Birds - Other
    Home & Garden at eBay
    www.eBay.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread