Where do they sleep at night??
    Your html and data files that is....

I have been very happy using a hosting company in Vancouver who is both efficient, reliable.... and UP 99.9999% of the time

The problem is - now that I am starting to use DataFeeds, I see my page content growing exponentially (but not my bandwidth yet) and wonder what is the breaking point where one starts to think of having their own server. Break point in terms of either bandwidth, storage requirement.. or both.

I am sure that I am not anywhere near that point yet... but I do want to be looking ahead to a great year!

I also realize that with managing your own server goes a lot of headaches... like software currency, firewall and virus protection, not to mention up-time (hell I am in Florida where power outages are a regular occurrance.)

I am wondering how many affiliates run their sites on their own "under the desk" server.... and how/when they made that decision.

Thanks for any input, thoughts or ideas.
    [color=black][b]Tom[/b][/color]
    [size=1][b][color=Blue][i]“Laughter is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one place.” [/i][/color][/b][/size][color=Gray][size=1]
    [/size][/color]

I have both leased-dedicated hosting and a few self-owned servers in a data center. Probably not a good idea to run it out of a server in your house unless uptime isn't critical to you. Even if you have a good UPS, what if some construction worker down the street takes out your cable/dsl/T1 line? how long will it take to get it back? what's the fallback plan?

When a client wanted to set up a server configuration that was prohibitively expensive at Rackspace.com I checked with a local data center in the city and with the dot-bust the cost for 1U or 2U of space and bandwidth is pretty cheap these days. Most places have capacity to spare. The downside of owning your own server is you're also responsible for service contracts, spare parts, etc...

A leased-dedicated is a good alternative. Somebody else is responsible for keeping the hardware going & you have control over the server and what's on it. If you don't have the unix knowledge to keep the patches up to date and the firewall & services locked down & read the logwatch reports, find a buddy who does. Don't necessarily trust your hosting company to keep up with that for you.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

the logical step for most affiliate marketers with a lot of small sites is a reseller account on a shared server ($20-$40/mo)... then a VPS account ($40-$100/mo)(basically a mini-server) all the control of a dediacted server without the cost or head aches.. I good way to work into a deicated server..
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Well I am paying $4.84 a month for 150MB of storage on a canadian based site... so I guess that is a pretty good deal. As I grow I will look at more options. Hopefully the growth will fund the increased hosting fees.

Thanks all for the info.

Tom
    [color=black][b]Tom[/b][/color]
    [size=1][b][color=Blue][i]“Laughter is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one place.” [/i][/color][/b][/size][color=Gray][size=1]
    [/size][/color]

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread