Cool How To Write Killer Adwords Ad Copy?
    I've been reading a bit about how to get the best click through rates in Google Adwords. It seems to me that a huge percentage of that is the quality of the ad you write. Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to put into an ad to make it successful? I'm very interested in kicking around ideas.

Thanks, Dave

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Try experimenting with a combination of WTF + various domains or brand names to see if that 1 sentence ad copy gets more clicks. Anyone want to bet it will perfom CTR miracles.

Jeeze my meds must be kicking in as I'm blabbering out secrets.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Sorry to come off as ignorant, but what's WTF?

It takes years on the affiliate scene to figure out WTF as well as Ecomcity.

What The ?????

I wonder if that would get by the adwords filters?

On a more serious note. I've heard call to actions or questions motivate people more but I haven't had the time or the budget to test adword techniques lately.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

1>title needs to grab attention...
    2>benefit(s)
    3>feature(s)

4>great landing page that gets clickthrus...

this is the key to any direct market campaign... that better you are at it the more successful you will be using adwords as a delivery vehicle....

just one word of caution... not every affiliate program converts well with adwords...
    I have found that some programs with good CTR with organic SE traffic don't measure up with PPC traffic...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

"just one word of caution... not every affiliate program converts well with adwords...
    I have found that some programs with good CTR with organic SE traffic don't measure up with PPC traffic..."
    Ain't that the truth!! I never could figure why that is?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    Ain't that the truth!! I never could figure why that is?
    I think the answer is really simple... because ofthe "love affair" with affiliates that google enjoys... the cost per click for most products is too high..

I have found that unless a program converts at 3 or 4% it's not going to be successful as an adwords campaign...

this is because of several factors..

1>CPC to be in the top 4

2>Google's software forces us to bid high or risk getting disabled for low CTR

3>Many SEMs bid the moon thinking more is better... and therby cause the above mentioned problems in #s 1 and 2

4>Because relevence is everything with Adwords... it's very hard to set your self from the rest of the pack in the tiny adwords ad.. when there are 20 or 30 other marketers all wanting the same business... how many ways can you describe "vitamin C"

5>Once you have the click what are you doing with it???

Do you have a killer landing page? Are you able to get the visitor to do what you want them to do?

It amazes me have many affiliates have Adsense ads on the PPC landing page...

Am I the only one who realizes how STUPID this is...??

Why would you have a leak to some other affilaite's site... for the same product you are trying to sell... especially near the top of the page! or even above the fold? on an page you paid to bring visitors to?? again how stupid is this??

I once had a campaign that I was getting a ton of paid clicks (PPC) for... I was getting the visitor to click 90% (I track everything) of the time to the merchants site... yet I converted very few... ??

this left me puzzled... especially when the merchant told me they converted in the 5% range...

I finally figured it out.. there was several leaks (adsense ads) on the merchant site and my visitors were finding them... what i did was asked a group of college kids to visit my site and respond to the sales message..

(I have a friend who teaches "communication" at the local college, he often uses my ads and sites in his class instruction as good and bad examples of persenting an ad message)

The majority of the class responded to my ad by clicking thru... once on the merchant landing page they would start to dig for more info about the offer...
    some would click on the buy button...

what I didnt know was the leak was on the shopping cart page... this merchant put adsense ads on the frist page of the shopping cart because as he reasoned... 75% of his orders were never completed.. so why not make a few bucks off this traffic... what he did was lower his sales rate... but his income level stayed the same so he didnt worry about it...

I wonder how many other morons are out their that we havent found yet?

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Who knows
    My2cents your, post opened up my eyes. That was soo insightful. I was just about to embark on a adwords campaign ,got a copy of "Google Cash" and nowhere in that book was there any discussion about the landing page pitfalls.
    Thanks again my2cents. I am now going to go through the programs and how they measure up to the adsense leaks.

tracking
    i'm curious who thinks they have the best method for tracking and roi analysis. that is, how to compare keyword cost to revenue. anyone care to share?

adsense
    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents

It amazes me have many affiliates have Adsense ads on the PPC landing page...

Am I the only one who realizes how STUPID this is...??
    well, if you're making $ on the adsense, why not? if you can find $0.05 clicks and then trade them for $0.50 adsense (or some other other ppc engine) clicks, why not?

ABW Ambassador
    Because the ads on your page are going to be the same keywords that you used to get the original click......you will probably get paid something less than one half of what you paid for the click.

That isn't always true. One my websites that I use PPC to direct traffic does 12x the revenue from Adsense than it costs me.

Quote Originally Posted by wyvern
    Because the ads on your page are going to be the same keywords that you used to get the original click......you will probably get paid something less than one half of what you paid for the click.
    not always true, i may have paid $0.05 for a click, but the ads shown might be $1.00+ per click - and yes, this often happens : )

In writing your ad, know your audience. Write to your audience. Talk to them. Guide them to do what you want. Click it. Create curiousity and they will click it. Ask their question and who clicks will be a targeted customer. Talk to your public like you want to be spoken to. They are just like you. Just make sure you have some killer copy when they do click.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread