PPC - Affiliate link Conversion Analysis Tools?
    Hello guys,

Can you point me to tools that can give me some Marketing analysis?

I want to see how well an individual Overture or Google PPC campaign is doing in affiliate sales on Linkshare, CJ, Performics.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Only way you can track Overture and Adwords campaign conversion stats is to be a merchant with access to a shopping cart with an e-mail option. Some merchants can spend big bucks or monthly fees and code PPCSE links as if they were running a indy affiliate program...for themselves. I'm assuming your wanting click conversions to sales stats.

Current merchant client having me devise this on the cheap show 1/18 from Adwords and 1/37 from Overture clicks on same keywords. They get a e-mail on every PPCSE click successfully converting. Most other merchants cannot achieve this ratio month in and out. Best PPCSE position for conversions is #3.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Smile
    I'm not selling anything, so shopping carts do not apply.

I want to track a google adwords, overture ppc click to see how many
    result in actual sales through my affiliate links to the Dell, Buy.com etc..

Use a different site ID for each campaign. This way you'll know that sales attributed to this ID originated from a particular campaign.

Yes I can use a different site id on the overture, google landing page, but
    I have a bunch of different links from different vendors on my site.

I don't see a way to track it unless I use different sessions id for each user session and then vary the bfinfo field (for example) for each user session.

Hi Cassy,

YOu can track AdWords keyword and creative using sessionID in a multi-step process:

1. In your ad, place extra URL variables you want to track, such as keyword, creativeid.
    2. When visitor clicks your ad, send them first to your dynamic redirect page (ASP, PHP, whatever) that removes your URL variables, generates a SessionID and stores both in a database with the SessionID as primarykey.
    3. Have your dynamic page issue a server-side redirect to the CJ link, but first have it append SID=123456789, where 123456789 is the unique SessionID that was just created and stored in the database.
    4. If you make a sale, generate a lead, or just plain old convert and get paid, the CJ report will return the SID field to you.
    5. Match up those SID numbers in the CJ sales report to the SessionID number in your database.
    6. Voilla, you can now track everything you ever needed to know and optimize your AdWords campaign to kick the pants off your competition.

Hi fclark,

Would you be able to post or give a link for so I get the details about how to do this with PHP for example? Also what about Front Page extensions? Do they get messed?

Thanks,
    King

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I wrestled with this for years. I did the fclark deal above - paid someone to workup the code and implement it. All techniques to complete the ROI loop, as an affiliate, have pitfalls - some are so labor intensive that you'll spend all your time setting things up and maintaining...

Google and Overture both have free tracking tools - as asserted above, without a cart, you feel shat out of luck. But what I do is have my merchant customize their "thanks for ordering" page within their site. The custom thank you page, customized for my unique affiliate code, contains the Google and Overture/Yahoo tracking code snippets. The set up is simple. Someone buys from my merchant, my custom thank you page loads, runs the Google / Yahoo tracking snippets, and records back to the PPCSE with the needed data.

This way, all buys are tracked to the keyword and are dated. All the data is mated up and available within the AdWords & YahooSM reports already. You can even attach varying values, static and dynamic, to the purchases for more complete ROI analysis.

All you need to do is to find a merchant willing to do this custom work.

And get over the fact that Google and Yahoo will be housing (and therefore have access to) your return information.

A thank's for ordering / confirmation page already exists. All the merchant has to do is make that page "see" your aff id and then load with the tracking code snippets from G / Y for anyone buying under that code... your code.

That code looks for cookie that gets planted when the clicked on your ad... and that tracking cookie has a max life of 30 days (and often no life if cookies are disabled) so the tracking is not going to record every purchase (like the other techniques). fclark's suggestion above also has the inability to properly track someone who is returning later to purchase... they clicked your ad yesterday and bookmarked your site after browsing... today they return and there's no ad variables appended to the url string - looks like a natural SERP visitor... have to realize all have shortcomings...

The tracking is cookie based - so it's not absolutely perfect (nothing else is either). But the code snippet is simple - like setting up adsense... If your merchants site can accomodate the customized thank you page, they have maybe 10 minutes worth of work to set you up.

I struggled with this important issue for years. Wasted tons and tons of time. I wish I would have known then what I know now. And why every Affiliate Manager doesn't strive to have this offered is beyond me... is a very simple solution to a complex and time consuming problem.

If you sell a lot for a merchant, they'll want to do this for you - helpos you focus your PPC spend where it matters most. If you're a tiny little affiliate, they'll pretend they have no idea what you're talking about...

Lastly, give some thought to fclark's #5....
    5. Match up those SID numbers in the CJ sales report to the SessionID number in your database.
    This is a TIME hog and a repeating task. With the G and Y tools, this is all done automatically for you...

Donuts my systems for tracking PPCSE clicks to sales is fool proof, simple and free to both affiliate and merchant. It requires no programming script on the final checkout page beyond the normal cookie parsing affiliate referral script. Any of my Holdup Suspenders affiliates can email me for the simple way to get an e-mail notice of each PPCSE generated sale as I trust them all. They also get sales commission info in that e-mail.

This is a feature in my Safe Haven Network model, but will not be implimented, as I firmly believe a PPCSE click is NOT a legit physical click if it's tied to a re-direct or links directly to the merchants site. Makes for lazy affiliates with no web sites playing PPCSE arbritrage as if that's affiliate value-add marketing which comes from affiliate page pre-sell content. What the heck can an affiliate put in a one sentence PPCSE spin line? OH ...I forgot. Trademarks, Brands, Coupons, and text duping searchers into thinking your the merchant.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Donuts my systems for tracking PPCSE clicks to sales is fool proof, simple and free to both affiliate and merchant. It requires no programming script on the final checkout page beyond the normal cookie parsing affiliate referral script. Any of my Holdup Suspenders affiliates can email me for the simple way to get an e-mail notice of each PPCSE generated sale as I trust them all. They also get sales commission info in that e-mail.
    If I run PPC to my aff site (where I do my pre-sell), how does the keyword and campaign name get passed to the suspenders site?

How does the data, in the many emails I'd get (I sell a lot of units), get cross-indexed to my ppc campaigns and bids and such - so i can tie it all together?

This is a feature in my Safe Haven Network model, but will not be implimented, as I firmly believe a PPCSE click is NOT a legit physical click if it's tied to a re-direct or links directly to the merchants site. Makes for lazy affiliates with no web sites playing PPCSE arbritrage as if that's affiliate value-add marketing which comes from affiliate page pre-sell content. What the heck can an affiliate put in a one sentence PPCSE spin line? OH ...I forgot. Trademarks, Brands, Coupons, and text duping searchers into thinking your the merchant.
    while i LARGELY agree with you, there is some value in direct-to-merchant ppc campaigns... keyword depth. if a merchant is unwilling to spend the time to develop fringe keywords, why not let a direct-to-merchant aff attempt to find value there, where a merchant is unwilling. if a merchant says "no bidding on these keywords" and parks their own list as unavailble for arbitrage, what's wrong with affs pursuing the scrap phrases [or what the merchant assumes to be the scraps (one man's treasure and all that...)]?

[Note, just for the record - other than the rare 1-2 weeks conversion tests (before agreeing to promote a new merchant) I don't do any direct-to-merchant ppc myself.]

Donuts asked ..."If I run PPC to my aff site (where I do my pre-sell), how does the keyword and campaign name get passed to the suspenders site? How does the data, in the many emails I'd get (I sell a lot of units), get cross-indexed to my ppc campaigns and bids and such - so i can tie it all together?

Makes no difference if you want to track PPCSE click/conversion ratios to your pages or the merchants landing page using my system. The commerce server sets the click tracking cookie passing both a unique Affil ID tag and optional e-mail notification tag. Every physical click gets cookied. The landing page in the affiliate link can be your site's suspender page or men's fashion page...or it can be any page on the merchant's suspender site or their Sloops Jeans site. ( common cart for all their sites just like the SHN model)

The keyword or PPCSE can easily be the alias in the e-mail notification. The sales confirmation e-mail notifies the President of the company as to which keyword on Overture or Adwords converted a sale in real time. I allow the same affiliate to have multiple ID's for tracking multiple sites or campaigns all payable in a consolidate check.

Bonus: It's Illegal for Norton to block the banners or links as that is a restraint of trade blocking access to the merchants shopping cart. The PPCSE reports (including conversion stats) plus the e-mail sales notices makes for a simple system. The SHN model will incorporate much more robust reporting and clickstream analytics to radar fraudulent clicks.

See the sample affiliate linking codes showing three variables they have complete control over.... www.suspenders.com/banners.htm and the light bulbs will go on.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I firmly believe a PPCSE click is NOT a legit physical click if it's tied to a re-direct or links directly to the merchants site. Makes for lazy affiliates with no web sites playing PPCSE arbritrage as if that's affiliate value-add marketing which comes from affiliate page pre-sell content.
    When I open my program I certainly won't hamstring it with such odd rules. I don't give a rat's patootie if it "makes for lazy affiliates." I'm not in business to try to get kicks making people w*rk. Any high-ranked SE listing, free or paid, that's going to me instead of the competition = good.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader. Picking a merchant who takes full responsibility to close all targeted traffic is a blessing and rarity in this affiliate industry. You'll never hear a peep out of the ABWers who applied and qualified for my managed program. Why? Cause they want no mass advertising SEO/SEM artist breaking in upon their treasured merchant. The group has worked a day this year on page changes, because they put forth a few minutes effort many moons ago, and just pick off some sales at an average 1 sale per 18 click pace. They sure don't want others to know Fathers Day is twice the market for suspenders then Christmas.

They built a page or place some banners and a text link and forget it. Not much work there, and well within your work pain threshold. Face it you never applied because you knew you could never game the AM or Merchant in the SERPs and you get no thrill unless you can play the gray areas. Anyone notice over the years Leader, nor anyone else, can find any affiliate enabled merchant even approaching this merchant's steady conversion ratio. Sure wish I had a handful of honest high converting merchants not tainted by the ABW tricksters where I could build a page 7 years ago that that constantly ranks high in all the natural SERPs making sales every day ...on the house! Some here call that work ...ROLMAO.

Now deny this merchant, and his affiliates, don't have simple tools to track PPCSE conversion ratios as this thread referenced. Anyone ever see a Holdup Suspender BHO popup? Ummmh! Someone must be on their job in choosing only legit affiliates. Bizrate/Shopzilla missed the boat by not applying for affiliate status. Same goes for Amazon, who both make money sideways with the merchant, as they fail to check their own conversion stats while spending bucks on PPCSE campaigns driving sales on their own dime.

Now if I could only get Nextag off my back as they want to perform tricks with a complete merchant feed. Fat chance of them getting more then I'm will to release to them as they transition beyond just being a comparision shopping engine. eBay gets the same response given to Catalog.com years ago, and we don't drop ship for the major Men's Fashion brands. Guess it boils down to protecting the Brand, fortified by USA Patents and registered trademarks on every product, from those with a pure play advertising mindset. I was right years ago when I suggested getting thousands of fine men's shops and apparel outlets would be easier then recruiting value-add affiliates.

Now Donuts would make an ideal affiliate keeping me the laziest Affiliate Manager earning him some bucks year after year.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Face it you never applied because
    BECAUSE there can't be enough commish to be worthwhile in something so cheap as a couple of strips of spandexed fabric!

And because H-e-double-ell will never be cold enough for me to allow you to actually impose your ideas on me. The highway to bankruptcy is wide and the entrance is marked "do sites like Ecom says to."

you could never game the AM or Merchant in the SERPs
    ROFL Dream on...

where I could build a page 7 years ago that that constantly ranks high in all the natural SERPs making sales every day
    The LACK OF COMPETITION is certainly what's responsible for THAT!

Anyone ever see a Holdup Suspender BHO popup?
    Fleas don't jump on dead dogs

you get no thrill unless you can play the gray areas.
    Nothing's bad about a panel in the SERPs...unless you're the competition!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread