Would anyone be interested in using datafeed software for OS X? I am trying to determine interest on whether or not I should release the software or not. Thanks!

I am sure (even though I use Windows) that if you release it, there have to be some people who would use it. ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Alex Martin:
    I am sure (even though I use Windows) that if you release it, there have to be some people who would use it. ;-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Very good! How many people here use OS X?

I would certainly like to try it out and I seem to hear of more and more people working with osx.

If the software works and there is nothing comparable out there, then you can be sure there will be an interest for it

Cheerio,

Peete

Peete - That is what I am aiming for. I have not noticed anything, other than web merge, that will work on OS X. Webmerge is a little expensive for my taste and since this is what I do for a living(programming) why not create my own! Maybe one of these days I will release it to the public...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Well OSX comes with PERL, so any perl scripts will work with maybe a bit of tweaking.

But doesn't everyone running datafeeds do it on their servers? Why download huge files to your home machine, only to have to upload them to the server afterwards?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Well OSX comes with PERL, so any perl scripts will work with maybe a bit of tweaking.

But doesn't everyone running datafeeds do it on their servers? Why download huge files to your home machine, only to have to upload them to the server afterwards? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why put the pressure on your server when your home computer can do it just fine?

Well...

Which is more server intensive?

Uploading one datafeed once...

or...

Uploading thousands of html pages each time that a change needs to be made to the site?

And this is what a server's job is for. Besides, why spend hours uploading files to the server when you don't have to? I never really understood why people did/do that.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

Hey, no bashing please! I merely wanted the challenge of parsing through huge datafeeds and create static pages for them. Oh and I wanted to do this in less than 2 seconds. For those that care, I am finished with the first feed from Overstock. I went with the computer_home_office.csv file. I scan through each character in the file and create around 40 files in about 1.6 seconds using &lt; 5% of the CPU and around 20MB of RAM. Pretty fun exercise if you ask me!

Next comes the automatic ftp to the server and another couple of feeds.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread