Not converting...whose "fault"
    Opinions wanted please...hubby just started his first ppc campaign to drive traffic to his credit repair site; traffic is up, clicks are up...I know it is a tough market, but we have had NO sales a week into advertising. I have tweaked the site some, made it easier to read...how do you determine if it is just your site, or the merchants who are not converting well?

There are several merchants linked through our site, so I am feeling the burden is coming my way...any insights or suggestions for improving conversions?

Outsourced Program Manager Allen - AMWSO's Avatar
    one way to potentially improve conversions of your merchants is pre-sell the visitors on your site with content and product links so that all your visitors have to do when they reach the merchant is checkout.
    [SIZE=1][B]Allen Miller. Affiliate Manager, EZvacuum.com / UnitedShades.com[/B]
    [/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    How many clicks without any sales? Are you using the right keywords? If someone types in credit cards, does your credit card repair ad come up? Sometimes i see PPC ads for Zappos or Shoes.com for a nike shoes search even tho neither of them sell nike shoes. The person running the PPC should have used nike as a negative keyword so it doesn't show for that search.

Credit Repair is highly competitive, I'm sure you've got alot of PPC fraud skewing results, I would never advocate doing PPC for a site that I didn't know what the (long term - you define the term) conversion rate ... That to me is just paying the PPCs for logoed post it pad or clock. - I'm not trying to be mean.

Tried and true, then go to PPC and rock and roll!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Ok, not TONS of clicks, but probably about 20 per day with no conversions...it is a highly competitive area and I don't think meanness was intended, I wanted serious feedback on the issue and I can see that ppc is probably not going to work out like we hoped. I am making more off of the google ads served on the site than the merchant programs! Have only had two actual conversions from a small handful of clicks to date on the site...we just haven't done much actual advertising or link exchanging to speak of until we decided to give google a go...Thanks all for the comments!

Animal Lover
    I am making more off of the google ads served on the site than the merchant programs!
    That could be why - your visitors are finding a better deal elsewhere because someone else has pitched them something better. Have you tried taking the ads off your site so that visitors have to click through or click the back button? If you are still finding that they aren't clicking through, then it's likely to be your sales pitch or something else that isn't enticing enough for them to click through to the merchant.

Oscar

Devil's advocate:

I like to use PPC to test the viability of a site before wasting precious time and resources trying to promote it in the natural SERPs.

You pay for PPC... you get more information -- fast. Be sure to track your visitors from AdWords click to landing page, to which link they click out on (you can do it with javascript and a database). Analyze it -- associate and correlate. Then try to tweak your PPC campaign with the new info. You may find that your idea just won't fly. Better to lose $500 and a few days than weeks or months of hoping for free traffic.

With a week's worth of 20 clicks per day, you've only got about 140-ish clicks so far. While I'd probably be worried if I was in your shoes, that might not enough clicks to be *sure* that the conversion rate is too low. Especially when you've been sending those 140 clickers a mixed message with the adsense ads.

There are several merchants linked through our site...
    Do your merchants tell you how many clicks have come from your site or any other metric that could provide additional clues?

I'd probably remove the adsense ads & give it a few more days. You might get 4 conversions tomorrow and be in good shape. Or you might learn that the site or merchants just don't convert.

Good luck,
    Ross

or you might learn that the aff links should go and you are better off with AdSense arbitrage....

Quote Originally Posted by Allen - AMWSO
    one way to potentially improve conversions of your merchants is pre-sell the visitors on your site with content and product links so that all your visitors have to do when they reach the merchant is checkout.

I've always wondered how you can set that up so all the customer has to do is checkout. Is it specific merchants only? Or can you set it up like that with all merchants?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread