Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's your business USP...?
    Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) is the marketing statment you use to impress upon your future customers the merits of your business, like a catchy sales slogan.

Would you like to tell us your (USP).?

What's your Competitive Advantage ?
    Your in business as an Affiliate Markter.......

What's your Competitive Advantage?

Why would a customer prefer to buy from
    you or through you rather than your competitors?

Thanks for helping.

Will your Affiliate business be viable?
    Your new at Affiliate Publishing/Marketing or your an old hand at it and your having another go at it.

Why do you think your proposed Affiliate business will be viable?

Thanks for helping!

That's great question ontop and I think many people won't answer this question specifically because they don't want to give away their secrets, but I'll answer generally. I feel my competitive advantage is the high level of technology involved in my websites. I do everything I can to code up every feature I find useful on any site I find. I think the technology involved in my websites far surpasses that of any individual affiliate at this point. I'm just waiting for the customers to think so

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Some people may not want to answer as all of us have different styles and ways of doing things... Unlike Snib I am far from being technologically advanced, lol, if you only knew.. My edge may be my sites all have unique content not found elsewhere, my quirky personality shines thru in every different sites I build, all plain simple sites but they sell.. Some are content sites, some aren't, but different parts of me and my personality are in every site. Sell what people want , give them as much info as you can, be individual, use all the tools out there, and be honest, it does really make a difference.

Because you are new here, and I'm taking a break, here's my answer:

No, for the following reasons:

1. You are not my employee.
    2. You have not signed a nondisclosure agreement.
    3. This is a public forum.
    4. I consider information like that confidential.
    5. Giving that information would disclose my URLs which I do not do in a public forum.
    6. I have enought trouble with site copiers as it is.

Then again, it may be that I'm in a foul mood because I just paid my lawyer another $250 to force someone to take my material off their site.

Ray

Ummmm....

Yea.

I have a unique site with content that draws users and would be difficult for someone else to recreate (without plagiarizing that is), so I feel my niche is pretty secure. I've had to change merchants a few times, but the basics behind my websites continue to stay above water no matter how high or hard the Google and MSN search waves go up and down.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Justdoit - you and I are on the same train. Create sites and content that are unique and not easily reproduced (except by illegal copying). Stick to good HTML, use H1 and titles properly, and don't overdo the keywords.
    I also work hard to find good niches and build up a stable of reliable merchants - when you cultivate merchants yourself, they have a tendency to give you special treatment.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Ray I don't think he's asking you to divulge any URL's or secrets.

I'm curious to hear what people have to say about this. I like to impress my technology upon merchants and customers. I use functionality catch phrases like wishlists, reviews, comparison shopping and newsletters to catch their attention. Just one of these features isn't enough, but if you've got enough of them you'll eventually draw some attention.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Why would a customer prefer to buy from
    you or through you rather than your competitors?
    A lot of the time lately, it's just because they found ME and not the competition! And I have no problem whatsoever with that. A "great" site doesn't do any good if it's sitting unseen at Listing #100,000, at least not unless you advertise the heck out of it instead...

As for non-SEO factors, that depends on the category. For some, it's because I bother to list products that other sites don't. Some competitors only want to deal in "best selling" items. But *I* know how frustrating it is, to be a customer looking for an obscure item, knowing it's got to be out there somewhere, but not being able to find it. (I just had to hound through literally 10 sites and 4 bricks-n-mortars last month looking for one of these gemmy items not many people want to bother with stocking/advertising--but is absolutely essential to what I was trying to make. I finally found it on a tiny merchant site--in Yahoo's engine.)

For certain other items, it's all in the sales pitch. This is especially true of nonfeed pages, where if anything's going to be said, I'm going to have to say it myself. That's when I can really aim the pitch at the areas I think the customer really is interested in.

For others, it's more that the competition just plain sucks!

In all cases, I try to avoid doing things on my sites that would irritate me if I was a customer. IMO my sites *are* as close as I can get to what I think affiliate sites should be like--otherwise I wouldn't make them that way!

The only big thing I intend to do that's much different from what I've done already is changing the backend by automating the *&%&^$ updating. I was recently motivated to open (and actually READ) my PHP book, so it won't be long until manual upd*tes are history for my sites.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "like a catchy sales slogan."
    Giving that information would disclose my URLs which I do not do in a public forum.
    Ditto. Most of my "slogans" are actually my URLs! I put the catchphrase right in the URL. Short and sweet. At least it seems short until I have to type "www.SomeSalespitchyNameHere.com" to bring up my sites.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

My USP is doing stuff better than the competition
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar

The politically corrected version of what I tried to donate to Overstock... Good Sh*t -Cheap!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Gosh, he was just asking. It's not like he was twisting your arm or anything like that.

I think it is a fair question...at least from the merchant perspective.

I would state, though, that one's USP is not the same necessarily as a "catchy slogan." BUT, you can base your marketing communications programs upon your USP.

How to develop a unique selling proposition? Well, if you have a business plan, you already have it. If not, you look at those in the same "space" as you and put together a list of those things that you do or provide that the other's don't...hence unique. But be sure these are things that matter to customers, and not just puffery like "most comprehensive coupon site" etc. unless you really are.

An example of our USP for New Line Shop is quality, licensed, authentic merchandise. You are buying from the studio, not someone in a far-off country peddling counterfeit knockoffs.

Even when I review affiliate sites, I review them with an eye for what I think are their USP's. Some sites are beautifully designed, other sites are downright ugly, but provide their visitors with comprehensive links, frequent updates, and occasional product endorsements.

Feel free to PM me if you need help developing your USP.
    Best,

David Rogers
    Sr. Manager, E-Commerce
    New Line Cinema
    212 649-4900
    NewLineShop.com
    WBShop.com
    TheOCInsiderShop.com

The reason why people are cagey is that the USP is by far and away the most important thing with any successful commercial enterprise. (OK, maybe not everybody has a Unique Selling Proposition for their site, but successful sites tend not to have too many direct peers.)

If you know my USP, then you can replicate it. Competition in this respect is a bad thing. The key thing is to find your own USP and carve out your particular niche in the market.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All my clients get one to focus themseleves and shoppers.. Suspenders so unique -they're patented!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

>If you know my USP, then you can replicate it

Then it is weak. The best companies are able to create a value proposition (AKA USP) that (1) is truly meaningful to its customers and (2) is nearly impossible to replicate.
    Proof: how many of you have replicated Dell's value proposition?

>quality, licensed, authentic merchandise
    Not very Unique -- unless you control the exclusive license to the merchandise.

So..who's your customers?...do you know?
    I'm doing a spot of AM research, here's a couple of business questions I
    hope you can help me with.....Thanks!

In general who is your typical customer?

Why do you think they buy your product or service?

ABW's USP:

Create and foster ***true*** and opencommunications within the affiliate marketing industry so that ALL, learn and earn more, symbolically.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Question Doing a spot of AM research...
    Just doing a spot of AM research
    hope you can help me with this..... Thanks!

In general who is your main competitors?

You have competition and a lot of it, can you demonstrate/tell me the demand for your product or service and how do you know?

ABW Ambassador
    AM research for who? Who are you?

Yeah, Ontop, looks like you're in an MBA program somewhere. The series of questions you are posting look remarkably familiar...

ABW Ambassador
    You have asked 4 questions...
    >I'm doing a spot of AM research

Welcome to ABW ontop.

What is your real name?
    Where are you from?
    How old are you?
    Are you married or single?
    What company do you represent?
    Is the company for profit or nonprofit?
    Why did you choose to join the company?
    What do you intend to do with your research?

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    What's your business USP...?

What's your Competitive Advantage ?

Will your Affiliate business be viable?

So..who's your customers?...do you know?

Doing a spot of AM research...
    Hello ontop,

In the last 24hrs you have asked all these questions. What type of research are you doing. Is it a school project. Perhaps I can provide you with a link that has all those answers for you already.

Are you an affiliate? A merchant?

We know nothing about you, since your profile says "n/a" but you want to know everything about us.

Just curious, don't mean to imply you are asking or doing anything wrong.

We welcome all questions from all "Inquiry Minds".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast