Good day,

I have built sites before using PHP and MySQL, so I imagine I won't have a hard time loading a datafeed via phpmyadmin ... my question is about SEO.

How does Google and other SE's see a datafeed site? Will they crawl through and see a completed page and index it as a customer would see it, or would they realize it is being built by a database and only look at the static content of the page?

Jason

ABW Ambassador
    Search engines see the same stuff as you would if you clicked 'view source'. There are issues with spidering dynamic content though. Try to keep the number of parameters down to a minimum.

IE: page.php?product=1 is fine but page.php?category=1&subcategory=24&product=1&color=blue&size=large&type=widget&cost=25 etc. is bad.

>>>Try to keep the number of parameters down to a minimum.
    <<<

This is where mod_rewrite comes in handy

page/product/1
    could be translated to;
    page.php?product=1

Its up to you how you do it, but from personal experience (with one of my sites), it seems that Google LOVE mod_rewrite. I changed it over about 2 months ago, so I use page URL's like;

http://www.cool-clipart.com/Cartoons...tridge_1_L149/

I basically use the category name, the title of the image itself, and then the ID number of the link (so my script can work out which detailed page it wants to show).

Just a little pointer, as it does seem to increase your traffic (this is only a relativly new site, and its already getting 100+ unique page views a day, of which 50%+ of that is from Google ).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

hi, could someone please explain how I can make a mod rewrite for my site that is using ASP. It has been online now for several months but google won't list it except for the home page & Privacy page. Sometimes I have seen a few dynamic pages listed but only the title and no description. I have put so much work into this but I have no rewards yet and is very depressing.

Hi. Unfortunatly, its not that simple. We need to know the ins-and-outs of the product really, to be able to give any advice.

Any particular reason you are using ASP? IMO it has to be one of the most horrible languages in the world (mainly due to the fact that its by M$ =)).

Cheers

Check out IIS ReWrite (http://www.qwerksoft.com/products/iisrewrite) or
    ISAPI ReWrite (http://www.isapirewrite.com).
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any particular reason you are using ASP? IMO it has to be one of the most horrible languages in the world (mainly due to the fact that its by M$ =)). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    sigh ... every time someone asks a question about ASP it's the same thing.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

well since its the only scripting language i know then i dont have much choice. im still learning it after several years but i have managed to get to a level where i can do basicaly everything i need. i like asp although i know most people who became web developers in the last year or 2 use php but for old timers from the 90's like me are happy using it. Since im more of a designer than a coder then i don't really want to start leaning php etc and i would really just like to start making some money one day as i have been doing enough learning for the last 7 years.

getting back to my question, is the method you use only applicable to php or can i do something like this with asp or am i asking in the wrong place?

rAd

Should add that I have experimented with a 404 custom error handler but I wasn't super happy with the results. I do have pages cached and they draw traffic but that site has never been as good as some others, although it was launched after Google beat me up this past spring.
    ISAPI_Rewrite is by far the most popular option amongst those I have talked to and it's about $70 for a license if your host doesn't have it already installed.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

ISAPI_Rewrite is absolutely awesome, but just like mod_rewrite, it requires significant understanding of regular expressions.

The Helicon folks have a newish product called LinkFreeze they created specifically for SEO, which looks more user friendly, although I haven't tried it because I'm happy with ISAPI_Rewrite.

http://www.helicontech.com/linkfreeze/

BTW, this company's support is second to none.

The only problem I've found with ISAPI_Rewrite is that most shared hosting providers are reluctant to install it. There are some that will do it, you just have to look around to find them. Otherwise you need a dedicated server.

For those with mod_rewrite experience, is this something that's available with pretty much any Apache hosting account?

If your hosting provider has support for custom .htaccess files you should be able to mod_rewrite, a lot of hosting providers if it is available, you can search their support sites to find out.

While it may be a standard part of Apache, hosting providers can disable it, and any other features of Apache. Some disable features like mod_rewrite and/or SSI because they add extra strain to the servers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Newby:
    Its up to you how you do it, but from personal experience (with one of my sites), it seems that Google LOVE mod_rewrite. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was comparing rankings of sites using a particular feed and noticed that the ones using mod_rewrite ranked lower than the ones showing the URL as a long cgi string. I did over 20 different searches for this particular feed and as this is not a meaningful sample, I wonder what is the experience of others.

Google loving mod_rewrite has little to do with ranking, which is more important. For example, the long URL usually contains a keyword that is lost in the rewritten URL, which could be a factor in the secret ranking formula.

(I do know that ranking is caused by many other factors, that Google doesn't show true PR or all backlinks, etc etc -- in my searches, most of the high-ranking pages had low toolbar PR, few backlinks)
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

Mod-rewrite's not a requirement but it does help keep down the number of variables. Also, if done correctly, it can help assure your page names fit into your optimization scheme.

I re-write some sites but not all. Google and other SEs have no problem crawling either in my experience. The bigger issue is the quality of what you do with the feed to help optimize it or make it not just another 'feed site' me thinks
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread