Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    File name options for v2.5
    Now that WebMerge 2.4 is out the door I've been working on v2.5, and of course tops on that list is extending the naming options for generated index files.

The most common request is to allow page breaks by field value in conjunction with the ability to specify a specific number of pages. This would give you good categorization with a manageable number of entries for longer categories.

I plan to also add an option for not numbering the first indedx page, so a sequence of index pages could look like:

myindex.html
    myindex1.html
    myindex2.html
    etc.

What other naming options are must-haves, and are there any nice-to-haves you'd like to see as well?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

File name options for v2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    What other naming options are must-haves, and are there any nice-to-haves you'd like to see as well?
    For search engine purposes, I think that some folks might prefer a numbering convention that includes a hyphen, e.g.
    myindex.html
    myindex-1.html
    myindex-2.html
    etc.

Regards,

FRANK,
    Baetracks

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Baertracks
    For search engine purposes, I think that some folks might prefer a numbering convention that includes a hyphen, e.g.
    myindex.html
    myindex-1.html
    myindex-2.html
    etc.

Excellent suggestion!
    That was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

What else?
    Richard Gaskin

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    , I think that some folks might prefer
    Ditto.

Or

search-1.html
    search-2.html

or

store-1.html
    store-2.html

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    myindex.html
    myindex-1.html
    myindex-2.html
    Just plain old "index.html" for the first one, without the "my" part, will do nicely

If I think of any more I'll post again...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

> I sure still want the ability to specify what comes before the "number part".
    > I assume that'll still be there.

Absolutely. As a general rule I try to never remove any existing functionality, only add. To date, after more than a dozen free upgrades, I haven't pulled a feature yet.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Affiliate Manager
    How did my last post wind up with being attributed to Mike O?
    Richard Gaskin

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How did my last post wind up with being attributed to Mike O?
    It's most likely you accidentally hit "edit" instead of "quote..."

I did that a couple of times with the old board software...took me ages to realize what had happened!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

That makes sense -- I hadn't thought about how mods have the ability to edit other's posts.

Glad to hear no functionality will be lost no matter how you add the new feature.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Hows 2.5 doing Richard I'm looking forward to the function that allows Pages 1,2,3,4 etc at the foot of a page .

Kili

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by admad1
    Hows 2.5 doing Richard I'm looking forward to the function that allows Pages 1,2,3,4 etc at the foot of a page .
    That feature has not been committed to one way or another for v2.5, but the request has come up before. Last time it did I asked for suggestions on what the syntax for such a tag should look like, considering that only some customers will want to use numbers and others will want category labels and still others will want letters.

Suggestions?
    Richard Gaskin

http and a telephoto
    That feature has not been committed to one way or another for v2.5, but the request has come up before. Last time it did I asked for suggestions on what the syntax for such a tag should look like, considering that only some customers will want to use numbers and others will want category labels and still others will want letters.

Suggestions?
    Why can't it be a variable? it is a MUCH needed feature, as well as navigation creation in general.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Why can't it be a variable? it is a MUCH needed feature, as well as navigation creation in general.
    Agreed. But the question remains: What specifically should this look like?

I've been discussing this in depth with a great many users for some time, but if all you folks need here is something far simpler I may be able to do yours sooner... (providing, of course, that we can get a few motivated souls to help test it before release)
    Richard Gaskin

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by admad1

Kili
    This would be an excellent addition. I would love to see something like that found on Google. I attached a little photo for everyone to see what I mean. I have about 15 pages built off my index right now and it would be great for visitors to be able to jump to a page 5 or 6 for example.

Letters would also be a good thing too. However, the number system above might be simpler to achieve? Not sure.

Anyway, this is a feature that would be nice to have if possible sometime.

Thanks,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

This may come out a little complicated, but here goes.

Several datafeeds that I have use secondary categories (that is, categories that are one level down from the main category), which generate files of an average length. Good, but a few items in that secondary category make an index file larger than is reasonable to deal with. In other words, most index files in the secondary category might have 30 products - good. But some might have 100 or more products - too many.

Silly (IMHO) to go to the trouble of building yet another (lower) tier of index pages, but do you - give the user a huge (300k) index file to download for that secondary category? Impractical. But we do it every day!

Possible solution:
    A function in WM that says, if the number of records on an index page reaches [a number selected by the user] then look at the next category (next field name in the datafeed), and make a link to that sub-sub-category page (not a detail page). WM shouldn't care, because it is simply writing a link on to a page - just based on a different field name.

The user will have to build index pages for that sub-sub-category separately, with links to the detail pages.

Going one step further, why not change WM so that one could build their entire site with one run of WM? WM would have to have several tabs for index page building ("main index," sub-index," sub-sub-index" and so on (templates, and directories for each)).

On second thought, Richard, why don't you simply re-design the entire product? Really though, one single (site) build, with one .4ww file, using multiple templates would be pretty nifty. Remember, most affiliates have to run WM at least twice to build a single site.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    > On second thought, Richard, why don't you simply re-design the entire product?
    > Really though, one single (site) build, with one .4ww file, using multiple templates
    > would be pretty nifty. Remember, most affiliates have to run WM at least twice to
    > build a single site.

That's the plan, right after I finish the new naming options for v2.5. Initial design work has been in progress for such a version for some time now....
    Richard Gaskin

Well there ya' have it ! Thanks...

Fred

Richard

I currently edit the filename field in my datafeed so that I can break up large index pages in the following way ...

First page is simply ...

pagename.html

Extra pages are named ...

pagename02.html
    pagename03.html

and so on.

I did this (ie '02' instead of just '2') so that if I have more than 9 index pages, the filenames will arrange themselves in the correct numerical order, when viewing them in Dreamweaver and other software - it just makes admin a little easier and less confusing.

For example - without putting the zero in there, your files would arrange themselves in the following order

filename.html
    filename10.html
    filename11.html

So essentially, what i'm saying is - can you give us the option for Webmerge to have this '2 digit' method of numbering files?

IN ADDITION

If Webmerge is going to now 'split up' large index pages - will it also have tags to create navigation links for them?

For example

If I have a long index page that has been split into 3 separate short index pages, I would like to put navigation links at the top of these 3 pages as follows ...

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

Thanks

like with most e-commerce (store) scripts managing a database the following would be very handy:

1.- automated creation of menubars with categories and subcategories

2.- automated creation of "related items" table presented in each "detail" page (with images and text). what would go in such tables would be derived from the records preceding and following the current "item" - in a manner that may be instructed by the user. For example, if the "item" of a detail page originates from a record numbered "10" and the "related items" are four, the record sequence may be:

8, 9, (10), 11, 12 or,
    6, 8, (10), 12, 14 or,
    4, 7, (10), 13, 16

meaning every other record preceding and/or following the current record, or every other two records, or every other three records, and so on, according to preference, so that the whole process may be totally automated.

best,
    heisje

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiebreaker
    can you give us the option for Webmerge to have this '2 digit' method of numbering files?
    Ideally it should be more than two digits to allow for larger file sets. But yes, having a preceding zero would be handy. If I can't squeeze those options into v2.5 I'll definitely make room in v3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiebreaker
    If Webmerge is going to now 'split up' large index pages - will it also have tags to create navigation links for them?

For example

If I have a long index page that has been split into 3 separate short index pages, I would like to put navigation links at the top of these 3 pages as follows ...

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3
    This has been requested before and I'm very interested. All I need now is some guidance on what the syntax should look like.

For example, we need to specify how many pages are listed -- all, or just 10 with a "More..." link, or ...?

Also, we need to specify the text that goes in the links.

Any suggestions on what such a tag should look like?
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by heisje
    like with most e-commerce (store) scripts managing a database the following would be very handy:

1.- automated creation of menubars with categories and subcategories
    How do the templates for these other tools specify what goes in there and how it's laid out?

Quote Originally Posted by heisje
    2.- automated creation of "related items" table presented in each "detail" page (with images and text). what would go in such tables would be derived from the records preceding and following the current "item" - in a manner that may be instructed by the user. For example, if the "item" of a detail page originates from a record numbered "10" and the "related items" are four, the record sequence may be:

8, 9, (10), 11, 12 or,
    6, 8, (10), 12, 14 or,
    4, 7, (10), 13, 16

meaning every other record preceding and/or following the current record, or every other two records, or every other three records, and so on, according to preference, so that the whole process may be totally automated.
    I like it. I've been looking into ways to modify the WM-Record tag so you could specify records by number relative to the current record, e.g. currenRecordNumber-1, currentRecordNumber+2, etc.

It sounds like that would provide the key to what you need, and have a great many other uses besides.

Is my understanding correct?
    Richard Gaskin

1-. good e-commerce scripts may be very complicated, but they usually provide a strong "user interface", whereby you may enter your preferences and the templates are generated and/or edited automatically. you have also the possibility of editing templates "manually". they are also called "cart scripts" and RedHat was providing a very good one for free, albeit very complicated. when you have the time you should venture into that, it will give you great insight regarding the direction WM should be going, as its ultimate goal should be to create advanced "static html" stores from merchant datafeeds in milliseconds . . .

2.- currenRecordNumber-1, currentRecordNumber+2, etc.: this is exactly what I meant, and it should do the trick . . .

best,
    heisje

Richard

Ideally, I'm hoping you will be able to give us an option on file numbering - ie choose between ..

filename02.html or filename002.html

This is because I have many files already created in the format 'filename02.html' - so it would save me having to rename them

As for navigation links - the way I do it is as follows ...

If I have an index page split into 3 pages, at the top of the first page I would say

Page 1 of 3

Then I would have links below saying ...

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3

This tells you how many pages there are in total - which page you are on - and it's clear that these links are different to the usual navigation links that take you to entirely different index pages

At the top of the second page, the links would stay the same, but I would say that this is 'Page 2 of 3' - and so on.

Also - to add something else to the file naming requests

An option to make all file names lower case would be good

PLUS

Changing the way Webmerge treats multiple occurrances of invalid characters - eg if it encounters a field like ...

small - widgets

It would produce a file name ...

small---widgets.html

So a rule that if Webmerge encounters more than 1 invalid character in sequence, it just replaces all of them with one single hyphen - instead of a hyphen for each one.

It just helps to make file names look more sensible and less 'spammy'.

An option to make all file names lower case would be good
    Yes, but in the meantime I still use the Crimson Editor 3.70 Release (Freeware) to Convert the selected text to lower case.

When I get any feed with strange things in it, I like to open it with Crimson to see the entire feed numbered at once and be able to edit, replace or convert any stuff I don't like on that feed.

PLUS

Changing the way Webmerge treats multiple occurrances of invalid characters - eg if it encounters a field like ...
    small - widgets
    It would produce a file name ...
    small---widgets.html
    So a rule that if Webmerge encounters more than 1 invalid character in sequence, it just replaces all of them with one single hyphen - instead of a hyphen for each one.
    It just helps to make file names look more sensible and less 'spammy'.
    I agree on that too. Those many------dashes look too ugly on the links.

And while I sometimes had used Crimson to edit the feed and prevent those many------dashes, that takes too long do, so I normaly don't even bother.

So that feature will sure be a nice thing to have it, included in WebMerge.

Sal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast