Cool Datafeed website
    I have been reading the various post about datafeeds.

Can someone post some examples of websites with datafeeds.

I am a one person operation. Can I get some feedback from other one person outfits that use datafeed about the time involved. I spend a lot of time all day long working, tweaking and building my site, I need to know what is involved timewise with datafeeds.

Also, with all of the free datafeeds being offered by various merchants, I can't see why anyone pays CJ or Linkshare for datafeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup

I am a one person operation. Can I get some feedback from other one person outfits that use datafeed about the time involved. I spend a lot of time all day long working, tweaking and building my site, I need to know what is involved timewise with datafeeds.

Also, with all of the free datafeeds being offered by various merchants, I can't see why anyone pays CJ or Linkshare for datafeeds.
    Once you have worked out how to create your datafeeds and used say excel to automate cleaning with marcos it's relativly easy. If your not a php myql coder then I would suggest the excellent webmerge as the ideal tool for you, bit of a learning curve but theres plenty of support amongst the guys here Frank is the boy to help here and I can recommend him if you wish to take advantage of his paid services although he's very helpful here in the forums but is always there should you need proffessional help.

A great instruction on webmerge can be found at Frank's site
    http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

Unfortunalty some of the feeds needed for an area you may be selling in are on CJ . I've just paid the $200 , but at least they let you work it off as you earn.

Kili

http and a telephoto
    Some feeds are more work than others, some are free and some are not. Webmerge is great for some people and not for others. Does that cover it? LOL. Best thing to do is start reading in this datafeed forum and the Webmerge forum and you will see the answers to all your questions and more.

If there are free feeds available in the market you are targeting, then there is no need for you to pay the networks to access the full feeds.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I think loxly has the point... there's no general rule of thumb... if you are a coder like me, then forget webmerge, altough you can build great sites with it you don't have the flexibility to change some line of code to make your site 20% different in a minute :-)

Post examples of websites with datafeeds

Thanks to all that have replied.

In my opinion the best datafeed example out there is www.pricegrabber.com. It's very clean and offers a good amount of functionality. There's also shopping.com and bizrate.com but I don't like them as much.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib,

Have you ever seen the Star Trek next-gen episode where they are just a little out of phase with the regular universe, and they can't be seen? I think it's the one with Geordi and the Bajoran woman.

Fred

Now you're just confusing me, wish I knew what you were talking about, maybe send me a PM

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by jez_kewler
    I think loxly has the point... there's no general rule of thumb... if you are a coder like me, then forget webmerge, altough you can build great sites with it you don't have the flexibility to change some line of code to make your site 20% different in a minute :-)
    You're right: at a few milliseconds per page it may take three to five minutes.

But seriously, I would be interested in learning ways to make WebMerge for flexible. If I could trouble you to describe the sorts of changes you're implementing with another system I'd be happy to see what I could do to make it even easier with WebMerge.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How about a way to automatically clean the oddball characters out of a feed?

That’s because, when ~Excerpt from HomeVision's feed
    See that crap that's there instead of an apostrophe? That's the kind of stuff I mean...

Unless you've got that in 2.4 already. I keep forgetting to d/l that...I'll probably catch it tonight now that I'm thinking about it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    How about a way to automatically clean the oddball characters out of a feed?
    How does a company use that data? If it's a problem for a thousand affiliates, chances are it's equally crappy for themselves. I'm surprised they can use that data themselves.

If you could email me a snipped of the raw feed I'd be happy to see what I can do to correct for their problem.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Okay, I'll cut out a few lines and send 'em to you...

Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    If it's a problem for a thousand affiliates, chances are it's equally crappy for themselves. I'm surprised they can use that data themselves.
    They don't.

By the time we get it, it usually has been translated a couple of times out of it's naitive format. I have seen many feeds that are obviously something that the IT or DB folks have been "forced" to provide for "those affiliates."

Fred

Nevermind Snib, I just don't have time to explain it.

Fred

Talking Off the Track
    Hey guys. Ya'll have gotten off the track here! I went to Price Grabber and it doesn't help me. Remember, I am a one man outfit trying to figure out if adding datafeeds to my site is worth the time and effort. Right now I am having enough trouble keeping up with all the coupons, offers, specials that come my way.

evitamins.com, zappos.com, overstock.com, essentialapparel.com, sportsfanfare.com. Those are only a few of many, many, websites that are datafeed driven. {You didn't really expect anyone to list their own sites, did you?}

I am one person. Use of datafeeds can speed up the development of a products website. But, only if you already know some server side coding. Specificaly how do you get the data into your server, and how do you get it out onto your page? It can take quite a while to learn this segment of our craft.

It generally takes me about four of my working days (literally from 2 to 4 in the A.M.) to flesh out a full sized datafeed driven site. So, around eight hours. These eight hours compress over a year of self study and the help of some talented members of ABW. Maintenance is almost nonexistant. Tweaking goes on all the time.

If you want to use datafeeds and don't know PHP, ASP, MySql, etc, then get WebMerge. You can do wonders with it. Cditty and Ray Thomas also have some options you may be interested in.

Sometimes the only way to get the precise product you want to promote is to have one of these costly feeds.

It's unlikely you will get an affiliate to post an example of a datafeed site. Just do some searches for products at Yahoo and G**gle, the ones that send you somewhere else but seem to have all of the product catalog - are affiliate datafeed sites.

Fred

Some of the data feeds contain strange characters because some non-IT person in the chain has done something like cut and paste from somewhere, e.g. from a web page into Excel, or Word to Excel. Apostrophes, typographic quote marks, etc are common examples. There is a feed out there with solid bullets in the feed, some have HTML tags in them, etc.

While we can blame the merchant, the affiliate manager is also to blame if they don't realise that these characters cause problems for affiliates or they regard them as a deliberate hurdle to keep novices out.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread