I'm new to datafeeds with my first feed going up just a few weeks ago.

I'm quickly finding the biggest consumption of time is cleaning up the datafeed to work with WebMerge (e.g. getting rid of non-url friendly characters like punctuation marks).

Those of you who have been at this for a while, can you give me some tips to for making the datafeed feed process faster?

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sweat:
    I'm new to datafeeds with my first feed going up just a few weeks ago.

I'm quickly finding the biggest consumption of time is cleaning up the datafeed to work with WebMerge (e.g. getting rid of non-url friendly characters like punctuation marks).

Those of you who have been at this for a while, can you give me some tips to for making the datafeed feed process faster?

Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Punctuation marks work fine in seo.. no problems.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ABW Ambassador
    "Punctuation marks work fine in seo"

When 10,000 others leave the same ones in the same place?

OK

Animal Lover
    If you think working a feed is easy then think again. Yes the bulk of the time is spent cleaning up the feed (although there are merchants out there with relatively 'clean' feeds that you can work with) and working out how to use it so that it's not like 10,000 others out there. It's work too - not as much work as static pages but still work.

I haven't used Webmerge - I use php/mysql but I still have to clean the feed using Excel.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

If you go into Excel and then click on Tools, then Macros you will see there is a Record option.

So if you are regularly doing the same thing over and over again in Excel then you can record it, save it as a macro and then replay it next time round.

If you have any programming background then you can even edit the macro VBA code and fine tune it to your requirements with dialog controls such as drop-down boxes etc.

Les

I didn't even think about the Macro command. That would work great with replacing marks like paranatheses.

Thanks.

A good freeware text editor which has complete search & replace and macroing is "Programmer's File Editor", its no longer being actively developed, but that's because its perfect the way it is... ;-)

I've been able to use it with text files which are in the mega-meg range.

And it makes any search & replace tasks really easy.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

Is that similar to BBEdit? I use to use BBedit when I first launched my site in the mid-90s and was using a Mac. Even the lite version was a great and fast program.

I've found .Edit to be great for editing files. You can get it to search and replace in individual files or all files in a folder. Very Powerful. Very scarey if you make a mistake

R

PFE is like Notepad on steroids... ;-)

Multi-file text editor for Windows which has a capactity designed for huge files (I've edited 2+ meg files with it; and playing around was able to create even larger ones - the capacity is limited only by your systems memory).

But it was designed from the ground up to provide virtually everything that a programmer (including web programmer) could ever ask for. Macros, S&R, a configureable menu of external programs you want to launch frequently, templates, and a whole lot more.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread