I, like many of the others here, have had run-ins with LinkShare and their IP requirements. I am trying to use my hosted web site (that has a static IP [yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy])

When I activate the ftp program to connect with LS, the ftp uses the main host IP [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] and LS does not recognize that IP.

I asked LS if I could use the host IP [xxx...] and they said I could only if that IP resolved only to my site...it doesn't as it is the shared IP for all of the sites on that server.

Does anyone know how to command the ftp program to use my IP rather than the host shared IP? Or are there other suggestions?

Charles Michener

http and a telephoto
    I *think* it is your computer that is connecting to LS that needs to have the static IP address, that is something your ISP provides, not your *host*.

Unless you are using a server to server connection?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I had this problem it took me weeks to figure it out.

If you want to get the feeds downloaded to your computer you need your computers IP (your cable or internet connection IP).

If you want the feeds to download to your website the IP required is NOT your websites IP (the DNS #'s) but the IP your host uses. You will have to ask your host for this IP.

Hope this helps it took me literally weeks to get myself fixed up.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

@Loxly/Gordon - this is a problem with server:server transfers

@Charles - are you doing this from the command line (via SSH or - horror - Telnet) or from a script?

This script grabs a single LinkShare merchandiser file - you'll have to insert your ID, merchant ID, etc etc

==================
    #!/usr/bin/perl

use Net::FTP;

print "transfer start ... \n";

$ftp = Net::FTP->new('aftp.linksynergy.com','Debug',10);
    $ftp->login('YOUR_MERCHANDISER_ID','YOUR_MERCHANDISER_PASSWORD');

# set transfer mode to binary

$ftp->binary();

$ftp->get('MERCH-ID_YOUR-ID_mp.txt.gz') or warn "Couldn't get file!";

$ftp->quit; # this sometimes seems to get done before file fully transferred
    # can be commented out and ftp will time-out anyway

print "transfer done ... \n";

==================
    As written, this should be run from the shell (SSH) but you could add html output and run it from a web page.

Beyond that, I'd say that if a command line and/or scripted ftp transfer wasn't using your "own" IP, then this is all about an unusual setup at your host. As LS use the IP access method as a security mechanism, we can't really blame them for not wanting to allow access from shared IPs.

Thanks all - Gordon wins the prize - once LS added both my IP and the main site IP I was able to login and pick up the files. My next steps will be to learn enough perl... to use Crazy Guy's script concept to automate the process but that is for another day. Thanks again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thanks all - Gordon wins the prize <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> YAHOO!! can I call myself a Boffin now?

Glad it helped, it took me weeks and weeks to get access to my Linkshare feed, you would think they would know this and inform their affiliates properly.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

What do I save this file as to get this scipt to work. Please provide more info.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CrazyGuy™:
    @Loxly/Gordon - this is a problem with server:server transfers

@Charles - are you doing this from the command line (via SSH or - horror - Telnet) or from a script?

This script grabs a single LinkShare merchandiser file - you'll have to insert your ID, merchant ID, etc etc

==================
    #!/usr/bin/perl

use Net::FTP;

print "transfer start ... \n";

$ftp = Net::FTP-&gt;new('aftp.linksynergy.com','Debug',10);
    $ftp-&gt;login('YOUR_MERCHANDISER_ID','YOUR_MERCHANDISER_PASSWORD');

# set transfer mode to binary

$ftp-&gt;binary();

$ftp-&gt;get('MERCH-ID_YOUR-ID_mp.txt.gz') or warn "Couldn't get file!";

$ftp-&gt;quit; # this sometimes seems to get done before file fully transferred
    # can be commented out and ftp will time-out anyway

print "transfer done ... \n";

==================
    As written, this should be run from the shell (SSH) but you could add html output and run it from a web page.

Beyond that, I'd say that if a command line and/or scripted ftp transfer wasn't using your "own" IP, then this is all about an unusual setup at your host. As LS use the IP access method as a security mechanism, we can't really blame them for not wanting to allow access from shared IPs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FYI, here's a script I wrote to download all new or changed datafeed files from Linkshare:

Linkshare Datafeed FTP Script

Hope this helps.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread