Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Exclamation Kazaa Lite Changes to HOST File
    Hi All

One of our affiliates found that he couldn't make LinkShare links work on his PC, upon checking further he found a range of changes to his HOSt file that had been done by Kazaa Lite, once removed the changes stayed...which from what (little I know of host files) of the below means that he could not access anything to fo with LS once removed as the local pointing IP had nothing to refer too...anyone care to expand or put me right please? I have sent to LS to review too.

HOST Changes by Kazaa Lite

127.0.0.1 ad.linksynergy.com
    127.0.0.1 click.linksynergy.com
    127.0.0.1 www.linkshare.com
    127.0.0.1 uk1.linksynergy.com
    127.0.0.1 uk2.linksynergy.com
    127.0.0.1 uk3.linksynergy.com
    127.0.0.1 uk4.linksynergy.com
    127.0.0.1 uk5.linksynergy.com

One would imagine that the 127 IP is a local one run through the
    software that cause all traffic to be tagged... .

When Kazaa is removed... LinkShare is no longer accessible as this
    host file change remains in place

Thanks

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thats the major problem for 98% of "John Q Public" system users. They don't know how to find and replace the HOST file or even what it does. Remove the app causing the problem and the apps dropping still muck up the works.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Chris,

Kazaa Lite (not to be confused with Kazaa) has been doing that for quite a long time now and not with just linkshare links. Actually Kazaa Lite isn't the only one to do this sort of thing with the host file. And you are correct, it blocks the end user from accessing the sites placed in the host file.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Thanks Kellie....

Yep you're right there Mike...and of course who do they blame...the site they are trying to reach.

Took 10 emails between me and the aff partner before we found out it was Kazaa that had done this and not a bad link from LinkShare!

Seems to me we have a compliance issue

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    I was just testing KazaaLite about a week ago, it also blocks all Clickbank hoplinks.
    When I completely uninstalled KazaaLite then the links worked again. It comes with
    'supertrick' an ad blocker which was causing the links to be blocked. When installing
    KazaaLite it gives the option whether you want to install supertrick also, although
    it is checked by default and most people install it along with the KazaaLite installation.
    I noticed if I unchecked this box during installation, then the Clickbank hoplinks would
    still work. Once you install KazaaLite with supertrick though, the only way to get rid
    of supertrick is to completely uninstall KazaaLite.

ABW Ambassador
    Also, if you have Microsoft Antispyware on your computer, it will give you a warning
    before these changes are allowed to happen. All affiilates should be recommending
    Microsoft Antispyware to their visitors.

127.0.0.1 is "localhost" - i.e. the traffic just gets sent back to your own PC and doesn't go anywhere. If you're running a web server on your PC (not really recommended) you'd connect to that, rather than the intended target.

Kazaa Lite does this presumably to act as some sort of primitive ad blocker, but there's real concern that it would be possible to use a parastive to alter HOSTS for more important things like PayPal and banking, and redirect them to another site almost indetectably.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I've found that changes to the "hosts" file are almost always the problem when customers report that the links don't work. This will impact ALL browsers, not just IE, since it's basically overriding DNS.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread