Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http and a telephoto
    Another DOS attack
    My server has been down for several hours do to a DOS attack. The ip numbers are being run now and if any of you idiots on this board were responsible legal action WILL be taken.

It is a shame that an open forum has turned into an open attack forum if you don't agree with the majority.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Why the F are you blaming anyone on this board?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I posted the same mesage to 2 boards, because these are the only places that there are people that would do something like this. It wasn't random. With Ben being hit recently maybe this should be a heads up for everyone that speaks out to check their security settings. My host installed an upgraded firewall and has taken care of the problem and will be sending me a full report. I would hope that once I have IP addresses I can get some cooperation in identifying who those IP addresses belong to.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    With Ben being hit recently...
    was that really a DOS attack?

Well, I seriously doubt that any "service interruption" would have originated from anyone here.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    Ben's or mine? Ben stated his clearly was and my host asked who I pissed off because mine clearly was also.
    Deborah Carney

I feel very discouraged that you would think that someone on this board would stoop to such an action against you for 'speaking out' here.

Please keep your fellow ABW'ers updated to your findings. I truly hope your incorrect.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

ABW Ambassador
    "It is a shame that an open forum has turned into an open attack forum if you don't agree with the majority."

That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "It is a shame that an open forum has turned into an open attack forum if you don't agree with the majority."

That's crazy.
    wouldn't be the first time.... remember Tom?

I doubt it came from here.
    Ebudae

Evidence? One would usually produce that before making wild accusations. I understand you must be very angry and upset but you should really think before making such statements in any situation such as this.

I have not been here for very long but in the short time I have I have never gained the impression that anyone here is more than willing to help. Maybe you should amend your post to a more conciliatory tone and Iím sure we would try to help in any way we can. Good luck in resolving this matter and let us know how you get on.

kili

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I posted the same mesage to 2 boards, because these are the only places that there are people that would do something like this.
    So was it someone here or someone from the other board? Which is it?

It wasn't random.
    Are you sure? How do you know that? DDoS can indeed be random. They aren't always related to someone you've p*ssed off. I had someone I use a business service for that suffered a very intense co-ordinated DDoS attack. They worked with the FBI during and after the attack. They were being DDoS'ed for extortion money (pay us and we'll stop the DDos). FBI told them this is becoming an increasing problem. Not saying that happened in your case, just pointing out that DDoS attacks can happen for many reasons.

once I have IP addresses
    I certainly hope that you don't assume that who those IP's directly track to are necessarily repsonsible for the DDoS. If someone DDoS'ed you off their own direct IP then you were DDoS'ed by a complete and total idiot (going beyond being an idiot for doing a DDoS to begin with).

In the spirit of cooperation here's is what you need to do if you want to pursue action. DDoS attacks are a Federal crime. Falls under the FBI. You call up your local FBI office. You ask for the Desk Agent. You tell them you've been DDoS and want to file a complaint. You provide them with the information given to you by your hosting company. You let the proper channels handle it and investigate where it originated from. As with any criminal investigation, you keep in contact with them as to updates and you let them do their jobs. You stay on their case to do their jobs. You wait and see what they find and who they feel should have legal action taken against and you refrain from making blind accusations until you have the facts.

They could simply be DDOSing you because you're a competitor ranking well in certain categories.

DDOS attacks are a non-trivial matter - you either have to hunt down someone who can do it and pay them, or have your own zombie army of PCs ready to go.

I quite understand why you're pissed off though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

These things are malicious and not random. People are targeted for attack.
    It seems quite likely that it happened due to participation in this or another forum.
    I too would like to think it wasn't an active poster here.
    Deborah, I'm sorry you're having this grief.

You must've pissed off someone at ecomxpo, hehe, they have plenty of people over there who could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The ip numbers are being run now and if any of you idiots on this board were responsible legal action WILL be taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I would hope that once I have IP addresses I can get some cooperation in identifying who those IP addresses belong to.
    Just a hunch loxly, but I would assume you would be more likely to get cooperation from people here (and on the other board where you posted the same thing) if you refrained from calling them idiots.

[left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

These things are malicious and not random. People are targeted for attack.
    I don't think this is necesarily true.

There are many hacker types who just love nothing more than to prove to their buddies they can do it. I would suspect myself it is one of these types that has done it.

I'm certain it would not be an ABW member or I'm sure many more of us would have suffered the same before today as I'm sure I and many others must have pissed off many people on these forums with some of our more outspoken posts.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I certainly hope that you don't assume that who those IP's directly track to are necessarily repsonsible for the DDoS. If someone DDoS'ed you off their own direct IP then you were DDoS'ed by a complete and total idiot (going beyond being an idiot for doing a DDoS to begin with).~Kellie
    Agreed!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Loxly,

I don't think anyone on this board, or any board you frequent, would do that just because we disagree.

We are all outspoken here in one way or the other, but I seriously dought that an attack just because we disagree would happen just like that.

A DDoS can be launched from anywhere in the world using any IP address, as it is routed that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jrami
    A DDoS can be launched from anywhere in the world using any IP address, as it is routed that way.
    A DDoS attack requires multiple sources to work though. Affiliate marketers are just that.. not hackers. This sounds like the work of hackers who want a slice of the pie.

What's more, because these are most likely zombie PCs, the originating IP addresses could be just about anywhere.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Loxly's Hacker(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    I don't think this is necesarily true.

There are many hacker types who just love nothing more than to prove to their buddies they can do it. I would suspect myself it is one of these types that has done it.

I'm certain it would not be an ABW member or I'm sure many more of us would have suffered the same before today as I'm sure I and many others must have pissed off many people on these forums with some of our more outspoken posts.

Excellent points, Gordon !!

Myself, I think it could possibly have been just a brainy
    13 year old guy having what he calls "fun".

I think Cheesehead had his site defaced recently by a
    bunch out of Saudi Arabia.

But, on the other hand, if it is malicious criminal actity
    by adults, I would file charges.

Stay cool, Loxly. We are all rooting for you !!

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

http and a telephoto
    First, let me clarify that I think the attack was launched by someone that *reads* this board and doesn't post here. I do think it was a personal and not a random attack and that it wasn't an "eliminate the competition: attack, but a "nah nah, we can get you" attack.

My point is that anywone that speaks out can be a target, check *your* server security.

I found ABW about a year and a half ago and I have learned a lot about affiliate marketing in general and datafeeds specifically. I have joined programs here that make me money, I have learned what programs not to bother with. I don't have a personal problem with anyone here. I don't have a problem with other people making more than I do. I don't have a problem with people that disagree with what I have to say. I *do* have a problem with people that attack instead of educate. Or that just plain attack.

Freedom of speech is now freedom to open yourself to attack, just because someone can, and that is sad.

The *one* idiot that I am speaking directly too *will* read this.

Haiko, feel free to lock this thread, my point has been made. Take care and be safe.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Well, I seriously doubt that any "service interruption" would have originated from anyone here.
    A board dedicated to educating people about parasiteware will have people (mainly lurkers) both capable of and inclined to DoS and other attacks. Sadly, quite a few marketers have a totally mixed up view about the way the world works. Looking at the marketing book section of the local bookstore, all of their best sellers had titles about how Sun Tzu or Machiavelli would go about marketing. Machiavelli is also taught in business schools.

With the supposed intellectuals in the US giving up on civil society, I am quite impressed at how civil sites like ABW are...however, I would not be surprised to find active posters on this board practicing the Art of War and performing DOS attacks on their enemies.

"My server has been down for several hours do to a DOS attack. The ip numbers are being run now and if any of you idiots on this board were responsible legal action WILL be taken."

Maybe one of your new "friends" found out that you associate with the "idiots at this board" and decided to shake you out of their tree just in case you're spying on their wares.

"... these are the only places that there are people that would do something like this."

It's sad to think that anybody "here" or anywhere even thinks that way or says things like that.

As one of the idiots here I find this very offensive and insulting!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast