when the check bounces ...
    I had an extremely small check from a merchant managed by linkshare bounce. I have e-mailed them asking for the original amount plus the $5 the bank charged me and am waiting for a response. Should I pull all my links? Could this possibly be an honest mistake or is it an indicator of big trouble? wwyd? thanks.

I would base your decision on how well and how quickly they respond to your complaint. If you don't like the treatment you're getting, pull the links.

Even big companies sometimes bounce checks. Amazon UK bounced one on me, and I did pull all the links because they gave me the run-around for over a month before they paid up (and they never explained why the check bounced). I am willing to be patient and forgive mistakes, but I do not trust or work on behalf of people who treat me poorly.

who is the merchant ?
    can you PM me ?

I don't have enough posts to pm. Is it ok if I say it in public forum? It's not a very popular merchant, and not one with a forum here.

hmm, I just saw this on a related thread link

"Please note due to a bookkeeping error the affiliate check you received dated January 31, 2005 may not clear your bank. We at Ecomworks, Inc. are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please have your bank re-deposit the check.

We know that our affiliates are our most valuable asset and sincerely apologize for this error.

Sincerely,

Maurice Bretzfield
    President & CEO
    EComWorks, Inc.
    "

I didn't get this message, but it was an ecomworks check. I guess that is the problem.

I got that email. I called my bank, and they said they mailed it back to me. I checked my po box on Tuesday, but it wasn't there yet. My bank didn't automatically redeposit it, so I'll have to do it. Have you redeposited yours yet? Did it bounce a second time?

Unless it was an error made by Ecomworks' bank, can you imagine what the fees are going to be for bouncing all those checks? Most banks charge $30-$35 for each bad check written.

I actually didn't get the e-mail but I saw your other message tracy and pasted it in from that. I am going to try to redeposit it tomorrow. My bank charged me $5 for the bounce.

My bank just charged us $20 for the bounce.... I've sent an email to Ecom asking about a refund for that... I'm gonna see if I can find cooking.com email also to send to

damn, that's brutal. i've never had one of my cheques bounced.

I had a merchant some time ago that bounced two checks on me.

I ended up eating the fees and never did redeposit the checks. They were worth less than the fees the bank was charging me for the bounce. I probably should have approached the merchant about it, but instead I gave them the punishment I felt they deserved, I dropped them.

Although, I might not have done so if they were a bigger merchant of mine, or had been a merchant with which I had a long relationship.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

I tried contacting Ecomworks about sending me another check since I threw the bounced one away. I sent emails to 3 different email address but none of them respond to me, its been a few days

If it helps, the affiliate manager is Shin Kim (SKim-at-Cooking-dot-com). However, they've dropped Ecomworks and moved to CJ. My guess is Cooking.com will say that they paid Ecomworks and we have to deal with them. But then again, if cooking.com receives enough complaints, maybe they'll put pressure on Ecomworks.

I wrote to Shin today and (s)he is following up with Ecomworks.... I'll let you know...
    Last edited by TJ; February 24th, 2005 at 05:22 PM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I tried contacting Ecomworks about sending me another check since I threw the bounced one away. I sent emails to 3 different email address but none of them respond to me, its been a few days
    I had to contact Ecomworks on an unrelated matter last year. They were SLOW--I'm talking *weeks*--to respond to emails. But they finally did cough up a boilerplate response to my query.

Hope you have better luck.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Who changed my title? my original title was only "when the check bounces " I don't think a mod should be changing peoples titles for anything other than a violation of the rules.

Mine was a Hilo Hatties check.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Dunno who did, but I didn't change it!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    My bank redeposited the check and charged me $3. I don't know yet if it's cleared.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread