Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Ebay Says No More Reversals
    Improved eBay Reporting: No More Reversals

We have exciting news to share! Effective March 1, 2005, you will no longer see daily reversals in your Commission Junction Account Manager for the eBay US program. With our improved reporting, you will only see those sales and leads that you will be paid for - no more seeing transactions post and then corrected out! More important, this new process delivers your qualified transactions in a matter of hours instead of 1 - 2 days. We hope this new process will improve your performance in the eBay program as it will give you faster, more meaningful information.

You can use this more timely information in a variety of ways. For example, in paid search, you can understand high-performing keyword campaigns faster so that you can invest more in those and thereby earn more commissions from eBay. In natural search and content sites, you can use this information to understand how new topics or products featured on your pages may correlate to more sales/leads to eBay.

We recognize that time is of the essence for Internet advertising. As such, we hope this improvement helps you better manage your programs with eBay.

Wow! That's fantastic! Sure is going to save me a lot of time tracking my income. If I ever had a complaint about eBay, it would only be the tracking. Knew there had to be a way to track the cookies without having to post/reverse transactions.

I don't know if I like this. It essentially makes the system less transparent. We have to put more faith in eBay, and quite frankly, I'm not convinced the system is working the way it should.

On occasion, I get a clickthrough from a very targetted page to eBay with a resulting registration, then I get a reversal. The time difference between click date and action date is a matter of minutes. I don't know who is getting credit, and eBay will only say "one of our other partners is".

I just had one of these this week. Someone searched for hockey trading cards of Colin Pepperall on my website, they got to his card list, they clicked through to eBay, registered and bid within 5 minutes of clicking through, I got the $20, then a couple of days later it was reversed.

I can understand a reversal if someone registers and bids on an item unrelated to the search done on my site, and I can understand a reversal if the registration was far removed in time from the clickthrough, but I can't understand this particular situation. What did that user do that caused the commission to go to someone else? I have a hard time believing that another site deserves the commission when I led this user to eBay, and they bid on the unusual item that I introduced them to eBay with.

Less transparency is generally a bad thing, even if it makes us feel more comfortable. Think about this -- you can't monitor a true parasite, like an eBay image hosting company that is cookie'ing users (this was done once before -- and was only stoped when I alerted CJ/eBay to the practice). Does that mean that things are hunky-dory? Wouldn't you feel better if thousands of independent eyes were watching the program instead of just two less-than-independent parties?

Ralph

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Less transparency is generally a bad thing, even if it makes us feel more comfortable.
    BINGO!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Here look, they have been reversing things without real proof for a long long time, and the affiliates tolerated it. If you didn't trust them then, there is no reason to trust them now. But if you trusted them then, then nmothing has changed. Less transparancy in this case is meaningless. At least now you know that any bid or signup you get now you can keep. Losing the signups was driving me nuts, but I had only one alternative, either accept it or remove all ebay links from my site. I suppose all I am saying now is, there is no point in complaining nothing really has changed.

MIke

This kinda makes me think I may NEVER see another $20

Thumbs down
    Wasn't eBay voted up here as the worst merchant on Planet Earth?

huhu

and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

I actually emailed the user that was responsible for the transaction I referred to above, and she clued me in on what she did. It seems she clicked through to eBay, viewed the auction, then left eBay to email the seller of the auction. She then returned to eBay -- probably by typing "ebay" into the browser -- and registered.

I turned this person on to eBay, but since eBay has deals with MSN, Google, AOL, etc., they got the commission, not me.

I suppose that can't exactly be helped, although I think that they could be a little more fair to the smaller affiliates by letting the "first cookie" win in the case where there are a couple within an hour of each other, or at worst, splitting the commission.

It's hard to make the case that the second cookie would be the one responsible for the lead -- kind of like spending all your time with one salesperson, asking him all kinds of questions, he sells you on an item, then you leave the store to get your wallet and that salesperson loses his commission. Not exactly right.

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    I'm liking it better already. So far have 3 showing up, nice to know they're not going anywhere.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Slate
    I don't know if I like this. It essentially makes the system less transparent. We have to put more faith in eBay, and quite frankly, I'm not convinced the system is working the way it should.

Ralph
    Well, I'm pretty sure eBay is still using qksrv.net for the image tag on the bid confirmation page - when they should have changed it to one of CJ's new domains a LONG TIME AGO.

This means that affiliates (and CJ) are still not being reimbursed for bidders who are running Nortons, because Nortons blocks the 1x1 tracking pixel.

That's, what, 10% of your commisions not being paid?

I can't seem to come up with an excuse for them changing one line of code to replace qksrv.net with sjijijviojv.net or whatever.

C'mon eBay, what's going on here?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The bid confirmation or seller registration page should be within their secure cart area where they could maybe sue Norton for blocking the tracking pixel. They sure can sue over the instant purchase or post Auction area if they were'nt such a cheapskate merchant paying for those actions. The ebay commission ship has so many holes in it the bugger would sink at the dock. Who What & Why do they allow to hawk, via a PPCSE slotting fee and keyword discount, the cookied link display above the natural SERP listings for any keyword combo. Is that Google acting as a ebay Affiliate?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

WTH?
    It's now March 2, 2005
    I see a dime reversal in my stats from today....

I guess this was all just wishful thinking..

I think if you look the reversals are for 2/28. If all goes well, today should be the last time we see them.

Tracy,
    don't I feel sheepish..

Well, the dime was from the 28th.. hoping this is the last time because now there are 4 reversed dimes from today but all show the 28th...

Right. It's pretty much like clockwork. Up until now, you get the dimes, then 2 days later some of the dimes gets reversed. I always felt my Leads were safe if two days went by and they weren't reversed. Of course, every once in a while, reversals happened three days later instead of two.

It's been so complicated for me, that I couldn't even update my sales spreadsheet except once a day. Every morning, I download the report for the day before. Then I filter by date to update each day's sales. That's one of the reasons I've been looking forward to the reversals going away. I won't have to go through that daily ritual any more.

I'm skeptical. It's too soon to tell, but under the new "code" I'm seeing fewer bids. During February I made an average of $2.12 per day from bids, with a high of $3.40 and a low of $1.30. Yesterday I made $0.90. Seems a bit of a coincidence that my lowest bid total in MONTHS took place the day after the new code went in.

Ralph

Ralph,
    I think its still too soon to tell. my daily average just under $5 and yesterday I was at $5.20. I had a total of 5 (dime) reversals yesterday all dated from the 28th. If the theory holds, I should not see anymore after today.. I will be interested to see if average # of bids decreases or not..

It also looks like it is taking 3 to 4 hours for bids/registrations to post. Tuesday was average for me, but Wednesday was kind of low. In order to avoid having to post then reverse, they must be putting the transactions through more scrutiny before they are posted which might account for the delays.

I'm still concerned. True, I don't get hundreds of bids like some people do, but I don't think I've ever checked "current transactions" after noon to find just two bids. It seems every time they put in one of these "fixes", it winds up changing something else, something they aren't telling us.

If things go like they told us, I should see absolutely no drop in revenue because only the reversals will be affected. So far this does not appear to be the case.
    Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    It's only March 3. Too early to start evaluating things. At the end of the month compare your EPC to past months and see if there is any difference.

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure about there being no more reversals since March 1st. Today I do see a reversal with the Event Date as 1-Mar-2005 07:48 PST and Posting Date as 3-Mar-2005 13:34 PST.

Did all of you get an email saying that there will be no more reversals? I didn't get any.

With our improved reporting, you will only see those sales and leads that you will be paid for - no more seeing transactions post and then corrected out! More important, this new process delivers your qualified transactions in a matter of hours instead of 1 - 2 days.
    So much for that theory. Just had a reversal for March 1:

Sale Locked ($0.10) "Buy it now" eBay 1-Mar-2005 05:17 PST 3-Mar-2005 13:31 PST

Well in all fairness the email also stated the following:

"Therefore, you will NOT be seeing any reversals
    in your CJ reporting from this point forward; please note that
    you may see a few the 1st 3 days or so of March due to leftover
    cookies in February."

However, the overall roll out of this new reporting was very poorly timed for publishers. With this new change and the google update (not to mention the continuing reporting "issues") CJ has really made this difficult to effectively manage and judge performance.

Yes, I was thinking it had to do with leftover cookies. I had three reversals today for bids on March 1. But I don't think it will just be the first few days of March. Yesterday (3/2) I had 8 bids with click dates in February going all the way back to 2/9. Something tells me there will be a few more straglers that will hit and be reversed in March. No biggie.

THERE ARE STILL REVERSALS!!! You just don't see them. If it makes you more happy to have your head in the sand then good for you.

Remember, eBay competes with you directly with their search engine partners. I can't think of any other "partner" to loose the lead to besides to eBay themselves.

Hiding the reversal from you means three important things:

1) They can change how they do business to compete against you without you knowing.

2) YOU won't be able to tell the full effectiveness of your own placements.

Think about that. If I could figure out which keywords and links lead to the most reversals, I can tweak the formula to see what is more effective. Not anymore. You'll never know how many leads are being re-captured by eBay through direct compettion without seeing them in the reports.

3) If you pay for PPC you can really get screwed here. You might have a very effective ROI but that might be ROI for eBay and not you. I can't imagine paying for links on Google and knowing that eBay can reverse them and you'll not even know.

Reversals are painful. They should be. Having to compete with eBay AFTER you generate the lead and registration is painful.

I'd appreciate comments on if this is really better with the above caveats.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast