Experience w/Performics
    I am looking at various providers on the market (CJ, LS, Performics, and Indi Networks) and trying to do some comparisons. It seems that there is a very knowledgeable group of people here with lots of experience with Performics.

So- im looking for some input- I am curious to know everyones (merchant) input:

1>> Do you think Performics' technology/service has changed since Doubleclick's acquisition? If so- how? -for better or worse? (what has YOUR experience been?)

2>> What do you like about Performics? What do you not like?

3>> How knowledgeable are they as an 'outsourced provider' or 'affiliate/search consultant'?

4>> Comments on their reporting?

Any input would be awesome. Thanks guys...!

My experience:
    They make it easy to build your own product links
    It's hard to sign up with new clients if you use a Mac (a code error, I suppose)
    They don't answer email requests for technical support.

Quote Originally Posted by landplanfran
    They don't answer email requests for technical support.
    Yes they do. However, affiliates without a business relationship with Performics do tend to get ignored.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    I like that Performics has a nice selection of merchants.
    I don't like that all available links are not live. I have to generate the link and then wait for it to become active.
    I don't like that it can be difficult to get an answer from them when I have a problem.

Thumbs down Experience with Performics
    I've only been using Performics since November 2004.

I like that some stores will let you build-your-own links. That way you can be assured they won't archive a link on you.

I like the real-time sales reporting. It's been fairly accurate.

I don't like the interface. Performics has a cold, slow-loading interface that's very difficult to navigate.

I don't like that stores are allowed to archive promotional links *before they expire.* That means your traffic/sales will generate no commission if you leave them up until the expiration date.

I don't like that dead links are allowed to appear as available links. That's just dumb and misleading.

Overall, thumbs down. I've been switching to CJ for those stores that are available on both PE and CJ.

Well... on a scale of 1 to 4...

With "1" being a high priced call girl and "4" being a gutter slut...
    I’d have to say that Performics is definitely a "4"...

Actually, I think that they are lower than a gutter slut... but...
    I couldn’t think of anything lower off the top of my head...

Performics in not only riddled with parasites... they LOVE parasites...
    What that means is... you’ll work your ass off and get a few sales...

While Performics lets their parasite friends take most of your commissions...
    They have many... but ebates is apparently their favorite...

A couple of weeks ago, Jorge Ramirez was forced to resign one of his
    best accounts, shop4tech, because he took a stand against parasites...

Read it for yourself and decide....

I deactivated eBates on 1-28-05 from our program but performics
    emailed me that eBates was a trusted affiliate of performics and many
    of their merchants and that shop4tech management had approved and
    requested their re-activation.
    Jorge no longer represents shop4tech because he wouldn’t go along
    with their parasitic programs... We need more champions like him...
    If you want to work harder and earn less... then go with Perfomics...

We are approved for many merchants on Performics... And we
    promote NOT ONE SINGLE ONE of them... every link has been removed...

If you’re really looking to get the best return for your efforts...
    You might want to check out Share A Sale...

fwiw
    Bob
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Letter to Performics president about erratic payments
    I've been doing fairly well with Performics, and I haven't really had much trouble communicating with them, but their erratic payment schedule really annoys me. I faxed James Crouthamel, the president, the following letter a couple of days ago, with a copy to Stuart Frankel (the COO and CFO), and David Rosenblatt, president of DoubleClick, which owns Performics. Haven't received a reply yet--if I get one, I'll post it.

I'd encourage anyone who's fed up with their unpredictable payments to write or fax Crouthamel, with copies to the other two. If enough of you let them know how annoyed you are, they'll have to do something. The fax number for Crouthamel (and presumably Frankel) is 312-739-0221. For David Rosenblatt, it's 212-287-1203. I'd suggest not being profane or overtly rude--they'll just toss the letter.
    ______

March 3, 2005

James Crouthamel
    President, Performics
    180 N. LaSalle #1100
    Chicago, IL 60601

Dear Mr. Crouthamel:

I joined Performics as an affiliate last summer and have been pleased with the success of my links and the responsiveness of your customer service representatives. However, the payment arrangements leave much to be desired.

I was told that you pay “around” the first and fifteenth of each month. However, these payments are usually late. Last month, the first payment occurred on the seventh, and there was no second payment at all. It’s now the third of March, and still no first payment this month. This is typical.

Another problem is that we’re kept in the dark about how much we’re going to receive each time—unlike with your largest competitor, Commission Junction, which makes this information available online in advance, on an ongoing basis.

Your practices are not professional and do not reflect integrity on the part of your firm. I think you’ll find that affiliates will tell you regularity is more important than the amount. I would like to be able to expect payments on particular dates each month, know in advance how much they’re going to be, and know that they’re going to be there without fail.

As I’m sure you’re aware, the law requires employers to pay staff employees within a week after the close of the pay period. Therefore, you and everyone else at Performics always know when you’re going to receive your paycheck and how much it’s going to be. Affiliates are not so fortunate. How would you feel if you got paid every two weeks, but your check was usually late and occasionally you never got one at all—with no explanation? How would you feel if you asked when you’d receive your next check and were told, “Around the first of the month”? And how would you feel if the first of the month arrived, and then the third, and the sixth, and you still hadn’t received a check?

Performics is not our employer—you’re an agent, collecting money on our behalf and disbursing it. You have a fiduciary responsibility to do so promptly and transparently, and you are not fulfilling that responsibility. In an online forum for affiliates, I notice that Performics’s vagueness and delay in payment causes a great deal of resentment, which I understand.

I don’t want to have to chase my money, and I shouldn’t have to call and email and wonder if and when it’s going to be paid, and how much. This “When we get around to it” approach is completely unacceptable.

I am requesting that you take whatever action is necessary to correct this problem. Specifically, I would like to see you establish fixed payment dates and stick to them, without delaying or canceling for any reason—just as you would expect for your own paycheck, and as your business and personal creditors expect from your company and you personally. I would also like to see payment information available in advance on your web site.

Finally, I think you should inform people of your policy in the public information section of your web site (i.e., not requiring a login). At the moment, all it says (in the affiliate section) is that you pay bimonthly. (In fact, bimonthly means every two months, just as biweekly means every two weeks. You actually pay—or claim to pay—semimonthly.)

I note from the Performics web site that you are a winner of the 2004 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award, given to those who “embrace the entrepreneurial spirit and determination necessary to achieve success.” Please apply that spirit and determination to making the payment process for affiliates more regular and transparent, and let me know what steps you are taking to do so. I will post your reply to the same online forums of affiliates where I post this letter.

Yours truly,

I have been using performics for several years. As far as pluses, they pay like clockwork. But their customer service is second rate at best.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Like clockwork? Do they pay you on the same days each month? And do they pay you twice a month, every month, without missing any payments?

I'm not worried about payments the same day every month. Are any of the networks paying the same day every month?

They pay twice a month every month. Have they missed and had to double up a payment at some point in the past? Probably. But they are very consistent payers. And in this business that's a rarity.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1111
    Like clockwork? Do they pay you on the same days each month? And do they pay you twice a month, every month, without missing any payments?
    There is a reason for this, and it has to do with the Merchant, not Perf. But, I don't want to stop the outpouring that I'm seeing - So keep those excellent comments coming !

Fred

"Are any of the networks paying the same day every month?"

Yes. CJ pays by the 20th every month--sometimes a couple of days earlier.

"They pay twice a month every month. Have they missed and had to double up a payment at some point in the past?"

Yes. Last July or August and last month. Didn't you notice? I even said so in my letter.

"There is a reason for this, and it has to do with the Merchant, not Perf."

I understand that they don't pay until they get paid. But my commissions are large enough that there's always money.

If they paid on or by the same days every month (as you, for example, have to do if you have any bills), then if I didn't get a payment, I'd know it was because I had nothing coming rather than that they're just being erratic. But this way, *we have no idea.* And if they made the information available online, then *we would know, either way.*

I thought this was clear from my letter, and I'm not going to argue it any further. There seem to be a lot of messages in other threads where people object to Performics's practices a lot. Either you get it or you don't.

Correction: It appears Performics did make a second payment last month. However, I still object to the fact that their payment schedule is erratic, and we have no idea in advance how much each payment will be. It makes it impossible to do any planning.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm...Guess I'll be the only Performics supporter here.

I signed up with them back in 2002 and they have been my primary network ever since - although CJ is gaining.

As for payment, they pay very quickly PROVIDED that they themselves have received payment. If they haven't received payment from the merchant, then the affiliates don't get paid. Fair enough. While from time this leads to erratic payments (I received payment for Dec 2004 for a merchant BEFORE I received payment for Nov 2004), by and large I have no complaints about payments from them.

Secondly, their individual product linking is the best around. While their interface is a bit slow and cumbersome at times, it's very nice indeed to be able to make a link to a product and be able to name it.

On the issue of parasites. Many programs at Performics are indeed infested with parasites. So...don't join them. I just avoid the programs that have ebates as a partner (I should clarify, where the program is part of the MMM program).

Finally, I suspect I'm considered a top publisher for two of the programs at Performics. Thus, I have quite a bit of communication with the people who manage the account - which is of course great. Thus, I've never had any sort of communication problem. However, even before this, I've never had any sort of communication problem with Performics UNLESS you send the email out to info@performics.com. I think every email I ever sent to that address never was replied to, for whatever reason.

I've found it best to work with the account manager of a particular program as far as communications go.

I'm pretty new to performics and I have reached the min for payment. How can I tell when I have been paid? I reached the min I think it was January and I have Direct Deposit selected..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by que007
    I'm pretty new to performics and I have reached the min for payment. How can I tell when I have been paid? I reached the min I think it was January and I have Direct Deposit selected..

Thanks!
    You should receive a statement via email with a breakdown of orders and merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    They pay me twice every month which is double the frequency of CJ.

Communication is poor for affiliates.

I doubt I will get two checks a month anymore as they have lost two merchants and one other merchant (Zones.com) just deactivated us without giving any reason (we had a five year relationship and those garbage swine / people notify me thru a performics form email! flushing out the clean and honest affiliates apparently).

Thanks guys.. and today I received my first email

Gotta love that and twice a month. very cool

thats too bad jimbo.. i hope that doesnt happen to my only performing merchant

Received this email today, over a month after faxing my letter (see above). At least they acknowledge that there's a problem and are attempting to fix it:

A letter you sent to our executive team last month has come to our attention. We thank you for your feedback regarding affiliate payments. We all appreciate your concerns and respect your perspective.

Performics was among the first to offer consolidated as well as electronic payments and regular semimonthly payments. There have been some unusual delays in the last few months that have affected the timing of regular affiliate payments. This is not acceptable and we are working diligently to address any delays and we recognize that further improvements can be made to our current payment solution.

We take our responsibilities seriously. Our policy will continue to be that affiliates are paid for commissions earned upon receipt of funds from the merchant. But we will continually strive to bring all our affiliates the best experience possible when participating in the Performics network.

Best regards,

The Performics Affiliate Services Team

They just messed up my affiliate account

missing stats.
    -------------
    Hi XXX:
    Our tech team is still looking into this issue for you and the missing data. The history is now in your account, along with the last activity since 4/5. There appears to be missing data from 3/22 to 4/4. We will advise as soon as we hear any developments from our tech team. We have verified that all links are tracking properly at this point.

Thank you,
    The Performics Affiliate Services Team

Performics is not responsible towards affiliates ... i am waiting for my last cheque from them and i guess its lost in mail ... i will not work for them as they pay very late sometimes after 8 months ... also they donot reply emails ... my cheque is lost i m emailing them and they are not replying .....

so guys i suggest you to stay away from performics as there are number of good networks who really reply each and everyemail and maintains advance funds for affiliates .....

performics is history now nothing special with them

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread