Google sandbox
    Does this exist and what is the longest period of time that it has taken to get indexed by google?

Phil.

http://www.weztec.com

I may get flamed for saying it but my personal opinion is that the "sandbox" is a BS fairy tale self-pity conspiracy theory often used by spoiled brats who feel entitled to automatic top 100 rankings above the millions of preexisting sites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's hard to say, IMO.

I was going to agree with CC, but, then I thought about it some more and now I'm not so sure.

I recently launched two new sites.

Site 1: I've got one site that's been ranking fine even though it's fairly new. I thought that meant that a new site would rank fine--but then I remembered that I had considered making a standard feed site out of it, and the Google had indeed known of its existance for about 2 months before I completely changed the site to focus on something else.

That site is not aimed at the super-saturated, affiliate-ized keywords.

Site 2: Another new site is on a domain I've had for a while, but it hadn't had any links before and therefore Google didn't know about it. That site IS aimed at product promotion in categories that have lots of affiliates. It has NO rank in Google that I know of.

Both sites were rolled out in their current formats the very same week.

One ranks, one doesn't. It could be the obvious--the competition factor!--or it could be the infamous sandbox effect, since G did indeed know about Site #1 before even though it originally had only one low-wattage link.

One thing it does show, though, is that totally redesigning a site WILL NOT trigger a sandbox effect. Google, and the other engines, too, seem *quite* pleased to see something else on Site #1's domain.

I'm inclined to conclude that the amount of competition is what's really making the primary difference in how the two sites are doing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've had same or similar experiences, Leader, with both new sites launched and established sites expanded. Some of them rock, and some of them just sink like a rock.

I'm strongly inclined to agree on the competition factor, also site-related factors (ie: something just 'not quite right' with the site) or a combination of both.

I'm still amazed that so many folks are still obsessed with Google when Yahoo is in fact the #1 search engine, and MSN will very likely capture another 5% or so of the market in the foreseeable future. Worry about appeasing Yahoo first, and tweak for Google only if it seems necessary AFTER a site has been indexed by all three major engines.

I've never personally seen sandbox issues. I expect a new site to be slow at first, but if you have content that people are looking for and a few inbound links, the engines seem to help people find it. It probably helps to have a niche so that the content supply is lower than the content demand.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think that the sandbox exists. I tried the following with a freeserverssite which was not listed in google at all:
    from on of my content sites I copied the content into a table on this freeservers site and submitted it to google. Thje next day this freeservers site was # 3 in google with the keywords for my content site. If the sandbox would exist this could not happen.

roland

CC why is Yahoo #1 search engine.

This report seems to indicate that Google is still the leader, with Google at 44% and Yahoo 32%

http://searchenginewatch.com/reports...le.php/2156451

Now what the raw figures don't show are the demographiucs and it is posible that Google is used by more business types and Yhaoo is used by more consumers, so from that point of view Yahoo should not be neglected if your are trying to sell consumer, rather than business products.

As for MSN I wouldn't underestimate Microsoft's ability to not do things right. It has taken them 10 years to realise that exposing a Windows PC to the internet opened up all sorts of security issues, and suddenly last year they started to take security a bit more seriously.

So I have a sneaky feeling that in the same way that the MSN search engine will hit performance problems if it starts to get too successful.

BTW if you search for
    Bill Gates Salary

Google returns 576,000 results but MSN only returns 166,006
    so which is right ?

Les

Yahoo is number 1 for size due to its buying other SEs. If I remember correctly, they recently bought Overture. And this is what put they in the number 1 spot. But as far as use is concerned Google is still nuimber 1.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

the sandbox does it exist .. believe me it does. can't bother to get into specifics but trust me it does

I have a site that has existed for several months and Google SE flatly refuses to show me even one indexed page using the site:mydomainetc.com type of search.

I do think it was indexed early on but a DNS problem a few days after may have confused the issue.

The other SEs treat it well but I'd like to see a lot more activity there.

Talking
    "the sandbox does it exist .. believe me it does."

"Hell only exists for those who believe in it. And the lowest rungs of Hell are reserved for those who believe that they'll go there if they don't believe in it."

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I have a site that has existed for several months and Google SE flatly refuses to show me even one indexed page using the site:mydomainetc.com type of search.

I do think it was indexed early on but a DNS problem a few days after may have confused the issue.

The other SEs treat it well but I'd like to see a lot more activity there.
    following up: I don't believe in re-submitting sites to google, but I did this time after a two-month wait. they must have pushed the GO button at the end of February as google now shows one page indexed for that site, dated March 1 and cached.

now if they come back and index the copy on the other 300 pages . . .

Yes there is some kind of filter placed on certain new/overhauled sites.. We had one site just come out of it, and it now holds down both 1 & 2 positions for all its main search terms.. this site was nowhere to be seen for any terms since march last year.. We still have a few sites out of the main index, but on the other side of the coin, we've also had new sites do fine right off the bat..

CC.. As for self pity, spoiled brats, worrying about Yahoo first, etc.. thanks for the laugh..

I don't think so. I put up a link to a new site on one of my old sites last night and the first page is already in the google index. Let's see where it goes from here. There may be a sandbox but I don't think it has to do only with a site being new.

I definitely don't believe in the sandbox.

I recently (January) let 3 sites loose at the same time. I had good links coming into them and they all have been indexed fully and are in the top search results for many keywords. They did fluctuate in the very beginning. One in particular was gaining speed then dropped out for a couple of weeks but then slowly made its way back.

I think if you play your cards right, all your ducks in a row, have relevant content whether it be products or information...good links in (cannot emphasize that enough)....google will find you pretty quick. IMO
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Rather than playing ping pong with those who claim the sandbox does not exist (as they themselves have never experienced it so it just can't be real), heres some light reading for those who want to know a little bit more about it..

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/27578.htm
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28120.htm
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28505.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    the "sandbox" is a XX fairy tale
    Uncle Chocolate_Chicken, could You please tell me the "sandbox fairy tale"? Pretty Please; I've never heard it?

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread