Managing Finances
    Im currently using Quicken Business to manage all of my payments and expenses. I'm just curious what everyone else out there is using. Ive been thinking about design a VB app to manage all of my affiliate sites and finances from one program. Would anyone be interested in that or is there something already available that I could use to achieve the same task?

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quicken is basically all you need and I have been using it for years.

If you design something better using VB specific for AM then it would be great.

Let us know when the Beta is out. (ABW members Free Copy)

Affiliate marketing is such a simple business model that nothing complicated is really needed. I just use Microsoft Money.

For a sole proprietor, all you really have to track (other than income, which is simple) is the dozen or so categories of expenses from Schedule C. Just create a separate category or subcategory for each. Also, make sure to track assets that you buy, as you can expense them in the current year instead of depreciating them (up to a fairly high limit).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

This forum is really needed. I am still doing it the hard way using pen and paper. I have been wondering for a long time what others use. I have filed sole proprieter with irs but never did anything with the state. I just didn't think I had to, I have no idea why I thought that. I have to go register my business with the state. This is going to be my first year doing taxes and I am scared to death on what I have to pay. I have kept records on everything. This forum will help out a lot of people like me I am sure.

my tax guy from last year doesn't look like he is too swift when dealing with a sole proprietier business that doesn't sell products.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I use QuickBooksPro, only because I have an accounting background and had the software. A simple program like Quicken is just fine!

Yeah Quicken seem to work out fine for me. The reason I was thinking of making my own program is so I could manage other stats in the same place. Kind of merging all of my stats and financial stuff together. I bet you could make some fancy graphs comparing the data.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFeeForMe
    The reason I was thinking of making my own program is so I could manage other stats in the same place. Kind of merging all of my stats and financial stuff together. I bet you could make some fancy graphs comparing the data.
    Sounds very cool!

Right now I use paper and . That was fine when all the $$$ came from CJ, but now I've got a few indies and I'm starting to get surprises like 1099s from ones I had forgotten about.

It would be nice to have a program like you describe, that would handle stats as well as the basic financial info.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Professional bookeeper-- very inexpensive and knows more about small business than most CPAs I've come across. At end of year, she sends books to CPA, who does business taxes and wifes law firm taxes.

Best reason to have a pro bookeeper: audit buffer. Submitting 3rd-party books prepared by somebody who has been through many audits gives you instant credibility.

I use Simply Accounting Pro. It used to be called Bedford Accounting. I learned bookkeeping the old fashioned was --- by hand with ledgers and journals. I was a full-charge bookkeeper for several companies many, many years ago. I like Simply Accounting Pro because it mirrors double-entry bookkeeping.

I've used Quick Books when helping friends with their computer problems, and I didn't like it at all. Simply Accounting is a superior product, with some really great features. It is also very reasonably priced. I paid $80 for it and when it arrived, there was a $20 rebate taped to the box.

It has some really awesome features like being able to save repeat transactions and then calling them up. I also sell stuff, and the inventory system is awesome. It also has the ability to manage online sales and invoicing. Really cool program.

Any method that keeps track of income and exspenses will work...

I use quickbooks pro because I already owned it... and tax preparer worth their salt... will know how to properly prepare your taxes...

Having a business that doesnt "sell" products is a common thing... all service businesses fit into this category ie: handyman services, maidservice, lawyering, bookkeeping, tax preparer and the list goes on....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

>>>I have to go register my business with the state.

you sure? you might only have to file as an individual.

Herb
    I am in ny also and I went the sole proprieter route with my business and was using my real name as my business name, the banks in ny wont let you open a business banking account without a DBA "doing business as" If you are using your real name they wont let you open an account. I tried 3 banks.
    I changed the name of my business and I am awaiting my dba as we speak. I am also changing my bank as it just merged and the manager and me dont get along.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread