How to get your products on my site
    Here's a hint.

I update the coupon page fairly often, at least once a month. When I go through looking for coupons to update the page, if I see a merchant that I haven't joined and they have a coupon, I quickly read what kind of products they offer and if it isn't illeagal, immoral or personally degrading, I usually take a quick look at the merchant's site. If all is well and the payment for my services is reasonable, I join. This at least gets the merchant on the coupon page.

Next, I apply for FTP access to their data feed. If approved, the next time I go through looking for and updatin feeds, there they are ready and waiting.

This reminds me that they exist and usually I take a real good look at the feed and assuming all is still well, there is a very good chance they will end up on one of my sites.

This keeps me pretty busy so I don't usually have time to do much more searching or checking merchants out.

I am not big on coupons and don't like them very much but some kind of system is needed and this does pretty well.

I am sure others have different ways.

Maybe they will share what it is.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I've got a question about datafeeds. I was looking at the perfume.com datafeed
    yesterday just for an example, this datafeed has 4023 products, every product is
    listed under Personal Care for the Category and Cosmetics for the SubCategory,
    they do not use any of the custom fields to give us more categories. What is the
    best way to use something like this. I've noticed this with other datafeeds also, and
    it seems like these are always the ones that have the highest epc and average
    commission figures on Shareasale. Do you just list all 4000+ products under Cosmetics
    on your site, or do you figure out a way to break it down into more categories. Doesn't
    seem like it would be very user friendly to just list all products under one category,
    but maybe its just best to worry about getting as many individual products pages
    listed in the search engines than trying to make the site very user friendly. What about
    some thoughts on this. I've seen some other datafeeds like this that have all of their
    products in one category, datafeeds I would like to use, but just don't know the best
    way to use them.

Unless they have products you really want, just toss out those feeds and go on to the others.

There are so many feeds around why fool with a merchant that won't bother to get it right?

Otherwise, you could present the products in alphabetical order depending on what it is.

Or, if you want it so badly, go to the merchant site and copy the categories into the feed one by one by hand. Or, scrape the merchant site and make links by hand.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I have mentioned this before but it really doesnt matter of the merchant has oganised proper categories anyway as you can make your own categories up based on keywords for particular products. All that matters is they have a good descritpion or naming field somewhere!

You create your own cats and search for items when a user clicks on the link and displays appropriate products (in mySQL - "SELECT * FROM products WHERE name LIKE '%someterm%' OR Description LIKE '%anothersearchterm%')

And of course include some sought of browsing option where the user can browse the whole database and the search engines can index the lot as well :-) and a search option.

My 2 cents!

/\

Uh....sure...whatever that meant. Do it today.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    (in mySQL - "SELECT * FROM products WHERE name LIKE '%someterm%' OR Description LIKE '%anothersearchterm%')

And of course include some sought of browsing option where the user can browse the whole database and the search engines can index the lot as well :-) and a search option.
    Do you mean to have predefined links to trigger that query? If so, how do you avoid having to set that up manually?

If it's not predefined, it sounds like something a regular search would do...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Yeah I mean predefined and I enter it manaully via a backend for each site I setup.

Tell me if my product feed on SaS isn't pefect and I'll ensure that it is fixed and quick. www.ampalian.com
    Malcolm
    [URL=http://www.ampalian.com]Ampalian Direct Jewellery[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.ampalian.com/linktous.php] Make Money with Ampalian[/URL]

I hear that! Thanks for appreciating our situation.

Your success is my success and I'll do anything to help make ampalian a big earner for you. Just tell me what the programme needs and if it makes commercial sense it will be implemented.

Details here.

Malcolm
    Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by ampalian
    Your success is my success and I'll do anything to help make ampalian a big earner for you. Just tell me what the programme needs and if it makes commercial sense it will be implemented.

Details here.

Malcolm

Hi Malcom. There's no problem with your feed. The only issue I have is that when I pull any field down from Shareasale there are no column headers. I emaild shareasale and they gave me a list of the column headers they use but what I cant uderstand is why they dont include them. I just made a template with the headers in excel and copy and paste them into one sheet now.

I'm trying to switch to shareasale for as many merchants as I can due to the confusion in place at CJ. I went from 1 or 2 sales a day to 1 or 2 a week I'm a very small fish at the moment ( Got to keep the day job at this time) but with the uncertintiy at CJ I would rather work with the guys at shareasale who from my experince seem to be more open and honest.

Kili

I see, I hope SaS are listening.

Good to hear that Shareasale a a good network for you.
    Malcolm

Well, I always end up messing with the feeds anyway so I have to add headers. At least, with SAS there is some consistency. Working in the indies is a pain but worth it.

ABW Ambassador
    Ssanf, the Australian Native feed on SAS is incomplete, so there's no point getting ftp access to it, when I have a full feed I will grant it - hope that's cool.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread