Tracking Requirements
    I am integrating a tracking software for an indie program and wanted some of the standard feedback. Background, it is a fairly niche product in the pet care arena and has a recurring sale every 60-days which the affiliate will get credit for on the auto recurring basis, I am just trying to determine rules for both the initial sales and the ones that reoccur through a non-automated way.

- Cookie expiration: Currently I have it set to one year. Everybody cool with this? (i.e. soundoff both ways and why if you can)

- Sale Notification: Do you like to get an email each time a sale is made? I can turn that option on, but I know that it can get annoying especially if you are churning a bunch of sales.

And no worries about the parasite thing, I have already started pointing these guys to the companies to stay away from.

As always feedback is welcome. (and yes when they are ready to launch the aff program, I will be contacting Haiko to do the paid info release.)

Chris
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    No way, if you have a lot of affiliates, can you manage keeping the original affiliates cookie active on repeat sales unless your able to hype a first cookie set program...with no overwrites. Here come the cookie stuffers and PPCSE players feeding BHO search bar apps via 3rd world PPCSE's.

Your better off with 30 day cookie and take the time to make clickable creatives and mini-showcases to specific landing pages. Then pray affiliates place them perminently on a special SEO'd page with some pre-sell spin on your niche' product.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by cmayr23
    - Sale Notification: Do you like to get an email each time a sale is made? I can turn that option on, but I know that it can get annoying especially if you are churning a bunch of sales.
    Chris
    Usually when I see this it gives the affiliate the option to turn it on or off.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    >> Cookie expiration: Currently I have it set to one year. Everybody cool with this? (i.e. soundoff both ways and why if you can)

Cool. As long as there's a good commission percentage, that is.

>>- Sale Notification: Do you like to get an email each time a sale is made? I can turn that option on, but I know that it can get annoying especially if you are churning a bunch of sales.

I don't like email notifications but some do. I think it would be better if it was up to the affiliate to choose!

But if you can't set it up that way, and you choose to do notices, please DO make it plain that there'll be notices *before* the signup process is complete. I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses a special email address for merchants with email notifications.

Your better off with 30 day cookie and take the time to make clickable creatives and mini-showcases to specific landing pages. Then pray affiliates place them perminently on a special SEO'd page with some pre-sell spin on your niche' product.
    Better to have the good creatives, etc. AND the 1-year cookie!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Here come the cookie stuffers...BHO blah blah blah
    Ahhh and Mike makes the first chime in....Actually, the way I am implementing the app, the recurring sales that are autobilled (i.e. user is subscribed not returning and doing the sale on their own) are keyed to the affiliate who sent them there in the first place. The recurring would be a one-year cookie, though if somebody came back a second time through a different affiliate's link then the second person would get credit for the sale. At least in my mind, that is the fairest way.

As far as commission goes and creatives, that is out of my jurisdiction, I have just been asked to implement the app.

Ref turning the emails on or off, that is good, I will check to see if this can do it. I didn't see it first time through, but you never know what you miss until you actively look for something.

Keep em coming....good feedback.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread