Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare preparing to screw up their interface more...
    I am sure everyone got the email. Since every enchancement to their service so far has been anti-usability, pro complete stupidity. I am terrified of what changes may be made.

Let me just remind everyone, that their last upgrade made you have to enter extra login info - only if you wanted reports, all the other info was just still available without doing that. It is widely accepted this was done to block programs from pulling the reports. Heaven forbid they could hire somoene who could just block the programs, instead of screwing every affiliate with a clunky system.

I guess I should congratulate them that after 5 years, their search finally actually almost works.

So what is coming?
    # Affiliate Legal Entity Registration:
    Under the new registration system, you will have one master affiliate account with LinkShare. If you currently have multiple accounts you will be required to aggregate all of your accounts under this one master account. This is a necessary first step toward paving the way to future enhancements that will give you and your merchant partners better tools for managing your affiliate programs.

# Real-Time Validation and Authentication:
    LinkShare will be validating and authenticating key pieces of information you provide against one or more third party databases. We will also be validating and authenticating changes you make to your account profiles on a go-forward basis. LinkShare fully understands the importance of your privacy and your registration information. Please refer to our Affiliate Membership Agreement for further information
    You know what? I don't trust linkshare. What are you going to check? What profile are you buidling?I don't believe they have done one single thing in the last 2 years for affiliates. Not one. They lie. They renig on awards because they run such a corrupt network and now this?

Hey linkshare, if you want to improve your program, why don't you kick programs that have cheated all the other affiliates? You don't kick them, you reward them! Here is a little freaking hint, instead of culling my data from another database to see if I am something or other - WHY DON'T YOU KICK THE FREAKING CAUGHT CHEATERS OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM!?!?!

Screw it. I am dropping linkshare. This is just more crap, they have not done one thing for affiliates in the last few years. Please, decent merchants, ask linkshare what the hell they are doing, demand they wise up - OR MOVE!

I hate this industry.

Chet

Does sound like they are up to something shifty.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

The way I read that it sounds like it would be easier for them to detect bogus parasite accounts with this information, or am I just being optimistic?
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    Which would be the obvious. But when their track record is to catch cheaters, and them "work with them" to improve their standing in the industry - sorry. I don't buy it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Maybe it's to help on streamlining consolidated payments with all payouts under one verified account. Subsights might be a source ofbooted blackhat players getting back in or hide involvement in drive-by downloads making it harder on network TOS enforcement and AM filtering out unwanted partnerships.

See how I'm such a hopeless optomist. I've got no clues on their demand to streamline the data mining for peddling info to their IAB/DMA masters.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Well, this should be interesting.

I wish they'd let the tech writers write these announcements instead of the PR department. Maybe that way I'd understand what they're doing, or what they're trying to do, or what they think they're doing, or what they think they're trying to do. Or anything!

15 years and counting
    Chet - Since every enchancement to their service so far has been anti-usability, pro complete stupidity. I am terrified of what changes may be made.
    I'm ready for the worse. I've never seen them doing anything right. Let's wait and see.

Affiliate Channels:
    One of the new features of the new registration system allows you to create separate channels in order to be able to track your transaction activity on a more channel-specific and targeted basis. Affiliate channel categories will include web-site, e-mail, browser plug-in, blog, search, or mobile. Affiliates can select one or more of these categories as they apply to their businesses.

Did I read that right??? For all of us that install browser plug-ins this a GREAT is thing!!! Now I can track how much I'm making off of all my BHO's seperate from my affiliate pages!! I'm so psyched---cough-cough ---PUKE--
    Last edited by suzigeek; February 28th, 2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: speeling puke not working
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Anyone want the bet that all the networks major downtime and reporting problems come from shoe horning IT server interface demands from 2 groups. The BHO lobby for network automated popups with upto date incents. The Adwhore IAB/DMA group demanding more spyware and data mining aggregrate stats.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

no email here, must be my bho software is working OK.

Could someone post the email? I didn't get one, either.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't seen the email yet, either.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Did I read that right??? For all of us that install browser plug-ins this a GREAT is thing!!! Now I can track how much I'm making off of all my BHO's seperate from my affiliate pages!! I'm so psyched---cough-cough ---PUKE--
    I actually didn't get the email either and I imagine that how all of this is really going to work is going to be a wait and see thing once it's live.

The BHO's having a Channel actually deserves a bit of thought beyond the obvious knee jerk reaction.

This is actually a point I've recently discussed with a few folks. By and large the BHO will pretty much always say when asked that only a very small % of their revenue is generated through their BHO. Now I don't think many actually believe that statement, except those who want to. Additionally, the way that many if not most of the BHOs run the traffic through their software, the indentification of where the traffic originated from is quite a myth for Merchants. They really have no hard data to assist them in what amount of traffic, conversions, etc are coming from the BHO vs the web site.

I've been recently talking with folks (not LS at all) that there is a need for the true origins of the traffic to be made available to Merchants and indeed the software applications should be required to do so. Couple that with Merchants having access to more and better information regarding how the particular applications are really behaving and Merchants may well have an eye opening experience.

The questions for me with a BHO Affiliate Channel in LS's new system are whether or not that transaction data will carry over to the Merchant's reports (or only show in the Affiliate Reporting), will the setting up of Channels be required, to what degree the BHO folks will find this data useful above what they already have in place within their own systems to know that information, and to what degree LS is able to control Channels being set up appropriately (traffic flagged in a Web Site Channel really is coming from a web site vs email/BHO/etc).

Here.

Announcing the Forthcoming Launch of LinkShare's Enhanced Affiliate Registration and Managment System

Dear LinkShare Affiliate:

LinkShare is pleased to announce the forthcoming launch of several enhancements to our system. During the LinkShare Summit in January, we announced the coming launch of "Project Athena", an enhanced affiliate registration and management system. We think that LinkShare's enhanced affiliate registration and management system will raise the bar for Affiliate Marketing. Most importantly, it will also set the stage for our launch of consolidated payment and direct deposit services later this spring. We are currently scheduled to launch the new registration system in early March and wanted to provide you with some advance information about what you will need to do as well as explain the reasons for some of the changes being implemented.

The Enhanced Affiliate Registration and Management System Defined:

This new system consists of the following capabilities:
    1. Affiliate Legal Entity Registration:
      Under the new registration system, you will have one master affiliate account with LinkShare. If you currently have multiple accounts you will be required to aggregate all of your accounts under this one master account. This is a necessary first step toward paving the way to future enhancements that will give you and your merchant partners better tools for managing your affiliate programs.

2. Real-Time Validation and Authentication:
      LinkShare will be validating and authenticating key pieces of information you provide against one or more third party databases. We will also be validating and authenticating changes you make to your account profiles on a go-forward basis. LinkShare fully understands the importance of your privacy and your registration information. Please refer to our Affiliate Membership Agreement for further information.

3. Affiliate Channels:
      One of the new features of the new registration system allows you to create separate channels in order to be able to track your transaction activity on a more channel-specific and targeted basis. Affiliate channel categories will include web-site, e-mail, browser plug-in, blog, search, or mobile. Affiliates can select one or more of these categories as they apply to their businesses.

Raising the Bar for Affiliate Marketing:

The above capabilities benefit our affiliates in numerous ways:
    1. Improved Management of Affiliate Accounts:
      By consolidating all of your affiliate accounts and channels under one master account, you will be able to access all related channels through one username and password. Further, if you manage multiple accounts you can easily create new channels or accounts through a single account interface.

2. Increased Control:
      The consolidation of your affiliate accounts under one master account also gives you the ability to control whether other people in your company or business are registering for duplicate or separate affiliate accounts. You will now be able to create channel specific access within your organization. Please note that users given access to a channel will not be able to access or change the master account.

3. Enhanced Representation of Affiliates' Name and Brand:
      Because key registration information will be verified and authenticated, there will be a higher level of assurance that your and other businesses' names and brands will receive better protection from improper use by unauthorized entities.

What Affiliates Need to Do:

Once the enhanced affiliate registration and management system is launched, we will provide affiliates with additional instructions and resources. In advance of those detailed instructions, there are some basic steps that you should be aware of in preparation for the launch:
    1. All Affiliates Must Register:
      All affiliates must register for a master account. Existing affiliates will be able to continue to log-in and manage their LinkShare accounts. However, beginning in April, affiliates that have not updated their registration information to obtain a master account will no longer be eligible to receive payment of commissions.

2. What You Need to Register:
      If you are a U.S. tax payer you will be required to register a tax ID. This may be either a Social Security Number or a Taxpayer ID Number (TIN) depending on your situation. In addition to the tax ID, you will need to provide its associated name and address. Non-US-tax payers will be required to provide LinkShare with the appropriate tax forms and information.

3. What You Need to Aggregate Existing Accounts:
      Compile a list of your affiliate accounts (SIDs) and identify the users you would like to grant access to these accounts.

We are pleased to offer such robust capabilities as LinkShare continues to lead the way in launching new features that benefit our affiliates and merchants. Given the magnitude of these new capabilities, we expect it to take some time to accomplish the transition completely, resolve issues as they arise, and realize all of the new system's benefits, so we are asking all of our merchant and affiliate partners to be patient. Given the large number of people going through this process, there may be some delays in the system during this transition as well. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

Questions:
    If you need assistance, we have created a special email address for questions regarding this new registration process. That address is newreg@linkshare.com.

Best regards,
    Stephen Messer
    CEO
    LinkShare Corporation

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

This is true Kellie. I try not to spend too much time worrying about parasites and use only indies and "parasite free" programs (since I need to focus on getting traffic and getting sites developed)..so I definitely don't understand the nuances of these situations, but after drinking my crank me up coffee and reading that line...it just flipped my switch . It seems like catering to me...but like you said wait and see...hard to be optimistic w/linkshare though.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Of course there's nothing to prevent the BHO's from tagging their traffic as coming from a different channel...
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Here's a thought...

rather they using 3rd party databases (which of course they started the new archaic login so that 3rd party database -RevTrends - could NOT access our information)...

can me spend a moment giving us something we NEED...

howzabout a sales report for the last 4 days!

Sounds like you will have to give them a complete list of your web sites and tell them every time you put LS links on a new web site.

I think most will find this a pain in the kiester and others will feel it is an intrusion.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

if they provide space for us to list all our domains that can't be too bad. could help us get cooperation from some of the merchants, too.

Will 180 still have 25 id's is the real question. If I decide to break off from linkshare will I get the 35 $2 checks from 35 merchants that It owes me for the last year... Maybe this is our out and not have to wait until consolidated payments.

The part that really scares me about this is the 3rd party checker, The cant get reporting done right who are they gonna hire inspector gadget for this.

hey, how about the checks that never came when LS merchants flew the coop over the years?

I'm going to wait and see. For a very short while.

I agree that technical writers shoud be the ones writing such LS correspondence. The way the announcement is written is not really comprehensible. The whole purpose seems to be that LS would like to consolidate accounts and consequently cut less checks. I don't see what purpose could the third party databases serve: Affiliates don't have a reason to eneter fake data in theior profile registration because if they don't enter real data they won't receive the checks!

Hmmm, I never got the email either. Like their last big announcement, I'll probably get it after the fact.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >However, beginning in April, affiliates that have not updated their registration
    >information to obtain a master account will no longer be eligible to receive
    >payment of commissions.

Note: This wording means that they are possibly intending to continue to take your clicks but they have no intention of paying you for them. Not sure how they stand legally if they intend to play things that way.

Interesting that they appear to not be interested in grandfathering in their old accounts that they should KNOW by now are above-board.

Ah well, plenty of CJ merchants out there.

Seems to me they can't even get their lines of communication with their affiliates in order, much less anything else!! How come some people have received the email and others haven't? I have not received the email either. All it all what they say in the email (posted above) sounds like Greek to me - Guess that's why it's called "Project Athena"!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast