Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Most Effective Way To Get Traffic To Your Website?
    By far the fastest, easiest & most cost effective way
    To get traffic to your website site is pay-per-click
    Advertising.

Pay per click advertising simply means that you pay
    Nothing unless your ad is clicked on.

For example your advert may be shown 1000 times
    But if it is only clicked on 10 times you only pay
    For those ten times.

The key to pay per click advertising is simply
    KEYWORDS. You must choose the keywords
    That best relate to your product or service.

So for example if you had a website design service
    Then your keywords/key phrases may be…
    “website design”
    “design a website”
    “top web design company”
    and so on

Then when anyone searches for these terms
    You ads are triggered.

There are many free tools which can help you find keywords for your product or service, such as…
    Wordtracker- http://wordtracker.com
    &
    Overture keyword Tool - http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

The two most popular pay per click services are

Google Adwords – http://adwords.com &
    Overture – http://overture.com

I hope this information helps you,
    To Your Success,
    Mark Flavin.
    [interesting information - thanks]
    Last edited by Adam Ward; February 28th, 2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: only reason for posting was that sig

Warning - Tread lightly in the land of PPC. There are those that entered and did not return alive.

Kay

Yeah.

And if it costs you 10 cents a click and you convert at one sale for every hundred clicks, you better make more that $10 on that sale or you are not only working for free, you are going in the hole.

To say the best about it, don't do it if you have a bad ticker or high blood pressure. It is plain and simply gambling so watch those ulcers and hang on tight.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    And if it costs you 10 cents a click and you convert at one sale for every hundred clicks, you better make more that $10 on that sale or you are not only working for free, you are going in the hole.
    Very true. On the other hand, the clicks are targeted and if you can convert enough, it can be nice guaranteed traffic. For example, if one were to spend an average of , 60 cents per click and make an average of $1.81 per click (hypothetical numbers of course ), you only make about 3:1 on your money, but it is not subject to the google dance or anything else. And as you tune your site and negotiate better commissions, well, you get the picture.

Actually, you know what, never mind. It'll never work.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Advertising.

Pay per click advertising simply means that you pay
    Nothing unless your ad is
    clicked on.

For example your advert may be shown 1000 times
    But if it is only clicked on 10 times you only pay
    For those ten times.
    Yes, that sounds good.

But what about if someone (like your competition) or some script clicked on your ad on purpose or by accident 100's of times in a day?

Sal.

Like THAT has never been known to happen!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Oh, boy has it, SSanf! Or just select some keywords that are entirely too general and see how much traffic you may get w/no sales! Example: use the kw "dog" to sell a dog-training manual. You will likely get MANY clicks but conversions that are not so great. And you can burn through a great deal of money w/zero to show for it.

And there is click fraud, although I think it's more common in other PPC engines and not so much in Google or Overture.

I would advise that one NOT go to the land of PPC until they have studied, learned kw research, bidding, etc, etc. Easy to burn through $50+ overnite!!

Kay

Or at least start slow and learn on a more affordable "tuition" budget. I can't believe how many posts I see complaining about losing $100s or even $1000s in a single day with PPC. Even if you read all the best tutorials, you're going to need to make some of the common mistakes yourself before you figure out what works. (That's just human nature.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Easy to burn through $50+ overnite!!
    guess, you've been lucky.... how about $500 or a $1000 or more...

If you are running a PPC campaign you need to watch closely how the campaign is going... and what it is costing...

I've burned up 1000's of dollars not paying attention to what I was doing...

Just remember adwords and overture will continue to spend your money till you turn off your campaign or it expires.

do a search for adwords training there are a couple of really good books available... only buy books that have a money back guaranteed... that way if the book doesn't teach you something new you can request your money back.

I do this all the time.. I always expect the adcopy promoting a book to over promise... so I always look for a no hasssle money back guarantee, if the book fails to deliver I cancel the sale..

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Advertising.
    I thought well-designed, informative pages, that show people where to find exactly what they are looking for was the best way to get good traffic. I haven't used PPC in a few years because when I stopped using it, I did not see a drop in my sales. I figured if my sales were the same without it, why spend the extra money?

i thought it was possible to limit expense by setting limits per defined time period. some kind of budgeting within adwords.

this may be the year I get my feet wet or my bankroll shot. guess I'd better start the homework now.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Run your own PPCSE service with multiple merchants. It's called an affiliate web site. Forget those expensive one sentence Ads run by millions of others trying to snag/dupe traffic, even if you/they don't carry that keyword product. Spend time and money making full paragraph accolades, hyping your chosen merchants for each product category, and even add in product images, nifty banners or text links that actually land on the keyword related page.

The potential customer chosing to click your full description link will never accuse you of wasting their time or tricking them into visiting a non-related site to their quest for product and/or information. Focused and targeted traffic like this should be able to demand a PPCSE rate above that charged by Overture and Adwords.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Ô¿Ô¬
    i thought it was possible to limit expense by setting limits per defined time period. some kind of budgeting within adwords.

this may be the year I get my feet wet or my bankroll shot. guess I'd better start the homework now.
    That is true, you can set a budget to limit expense, but I found that setting a budget is more complicated than that. You realize that too low a budget is going to result in fewer impressions, so I might increase the budget to gauge it's effect. WARNING - do not drastically increase bids or budget UNLESS you are in a position to monitor your campaign almost continuously.

I'll repeat my earlier advice to study all the info you can about keyword research and selection. If you don't do that, you might as well take your money and burn it. It will do just as much good.

Kay

ps I have lost far more than 50 dollars too!!

Smile
    One thing that I've found about PPC advertising is the layout and information on your landing page is key. You can spend a lot of money promoting a page that doesn't convert, but you can spend very little promoting a page that converts really well. Be careful not to promote the wrong page. One good way to go about this is to take the search query from the referer URL and query your own database with the same search query so you can show the customer exactly what they were searching for on Google.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hi All,

Just took the plunge on the google adwords thingy and if I was going to give some advice (not that I'm know anything except what I've learned here-thanks everyone ) I'd say start out limiting the daily budget to 5 dollars a day, and don't pay more than 5 cents per click at first, and only bump it a penny at a time and use the traffic tool to see about how much more traffic You'll receive for that penny... That way You can learn all the tools and get a adwords education without breaking the bank... I'm up to about $30.00 in three weeks now (which I don't think is that much for a eduacation).

And make Your adwords and webpages very targeted... Like choose words like "Phillips XYZ DVD Player" instead of "Phillips DVD Player"; then make a target page especially for the "Phillips XYZ DVD Player" and send Your traffic there... And pick merchants that don't have anything that's going to scare costumers off (like no returns and stuff like that), I lost the close to the first $20.00 that way (live and learn).

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Never ever PPCSE a merchant who gouges customers on freight charges. Never look at it from an affiliates viewpoint...put on the shoppers cap and shoes.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by markflavin
    Advertising.
    Not even close.

Get Karl to write up a PhillyBlurb on your shopper friendly web site in his newspaper or take out a roadside BillBoard Ad with a naked model laying down with private parts covered in your URL... Call to action message is :0) click ...to see more!

You are a true marketing genious!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Get Karl to write up a PhillyBlurb on your shopper friendly web site in his newspaper or take out a roadside BillBoard Ad with a naked model laying down with private parts covered in your URL... Call to action message is :0) click ...to see more!
    Better yet, take out some full-page, full-color (read: expensive) newspaper ads. We'll bundle them with a nice online banner campaign. Sounds like a winner.

Mike, I think you have a future as a media buyer!

ecomcity: "Never ever PPCSE a merchant who gouges customers on freight charges. Never look at it from an affiliates viewpoint...put on the shoppers cap and shoes."

Thanks ecomcity, sounds like good advice... Definitely going to put that one in my bag of do's.

phillyburbs:"Not even close."

phillyburbs, care to elaborate?

I seldom believe anything that can't be condensed down to a bumper sticker ...the true source of wisdom....LOL. All successful websites desiring traffic have to equate their sites pull and purpose to a unique bumber sticker tagline. I gave away many as I digested and plotted a purpose for the web design client's sites. Suspenders-so unique they're Patented.... Cause Pet's can't Drive... or the Overstock reject ....The Good Sh*T -Cheap!

I look at PPC traffic like classified ad traffic. If you have a product that can be highly targeted to a narrow group of people, then you can use it to make money. The key is the targetting that an SE can bring. But if the product is not unique enough or is widely distributed ( lots of competitors ), then you can have some of the problems listed above by others. But it can be a good tool for promoting a new product or service.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    ecomcity: "Never ever PPCSE a merchant who gouges customers on freight charges. Never look at it from an affiliates viewpoint...put on the shoppers cap and shoes."

Thanks ecomcity, sounds like good advice... Definitely going to put that one in my bag of do's.

phillyburbs:"Not even close."

phillyburbs, care to elaborate?
    We have used a bit of PPC, but have used a lot of other media, with minimal cash outlay, to drive substantial traffic.

Just a little "for what it's worth" spew. I recently checked into doing some advertising in my local newspaper. They don't bother with any three dollar cpm's nor do they really care how many people actually read and respond to your advertising. They get 75 dollars / thousand (estimated eyeballs) or more depending on the paper. I think ppc looks a heck of a lot better when you compare it to off line advertising. Either way you'll have to be carefull to get a return on your money. It's just a lot easier to do so online.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast