Red face Link encryption killing my ranking??
    Last year I changed most of my pages to be encrypted so the links couldn't be seen as affiliate links.....I've been noticing slowly but surely that my site is completely gone from the search engines. Could it be from the encryption? What I don't get is that I have a mirror on my .net site to my .com site and would you believe that it does well on the search engines, yet its just a mirror of my .com. Am I missing something? I'm not sure what the proper way is to cloak or hide the links. I read everyones posts but I still don't know what would be best. I manually add and change products on my site every week based on what I think is selling. To cloak the links on top of it? I'm not sure what would the best timesaver, which is why I did the encryption instead.

The thing that gets me is I just added a merchant to my site that provided their own affiliate template for my site. It seems (as you can see I really don't know much about this stuff) to call up a php script to generate the pages. If I do a google search for my website name, they list all of those pages for that merchant under my site. Why would their pages be spidered in one week, yet my own sites main affiliate pages are not? Do you think its the encryption on my pages? or Is php better spider food?

I'm just trying to understand the logistics of this in order to change my site to work better.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd say it's this:

I have a mirror on my .net site to my .com site and would you believe that it does well on the search engines, yet its just a mirror of my .com.
    When there's a mirror, usually they will pick one.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Mirror? isn't that duplicate content?
    rankings will go down.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

A mirror - if done with .net and .com on the same IP typically cause ONE of those two vanish from SERPS only

mirror
    To make a long story short, someone (not gonna say who :-) stole my .com so I setup the .net and had killer rankings on the .net. When they gave back the .com I thought a .com was a better name?? So I mirrored the .net. Seems silly that Im promoting the .com if the .net is only getting the rankings :-) I wasent aware of that rule with the search engines, but it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, back to my original post does affiliate link encryption hurt search engine rankings? (as well as mirrors?)

You cannot run mirror sites. Either one or both will get wacked. It doesn't matter whether they are physically different sites, or multiple domain names pointed to the same site. If you are duplicating content on multiple pages or domains, you will get penalized and you cannot control which domains gets penalized.

Google: "Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content."

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Tech Evangelist wrote;
    Google: "Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content."
    Thanks for the tip - Makes sense!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread