Wink How to boost link popularity
    Foolishly I have been watching and not acting as reciprocol links became all the trend in boosting link popularity. I expected that the search engines would identify the reciprocol links as spam and penalize the sites for using the. My ranking in one important category has sunk from one to four. Ater running some checks I see that I am ranking higher in every category but links.
    Could someone give me some pointers for where or what to do? Or do I need to just beat the bush and sollicit them one-by-one?

Terrie
    Last edited by phantomcat; March 1st, 2005 at 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Just find sites that you like that have link pages and request a link. Sometimes it's good to add their site to your link page first then ask. If they don't add a link, remove theirs. Just try to find sites that rank well. Browse through DMOZ, look at the result pages for the phrases you'd like to get and even ask some friends who have sites similar to yours. Just keep in mind that it's important to get links from sites that have related content.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks Snib,

Just "Beat the Bush" is what you are saying. *smile* I was wondering if anyone is aware of services that can put legitimate links of similar content in place for a price!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcat
    Just "Beat the Bush" is what you are saying. *smile* I was wondering if anyone is aware of services that can put legitimate links of similar content in place for a price!
    There are services available on the web that do this, but linking is something that is probably best done yourself. There are a lot of issues when it comes to reciprocal linking. Though it isn't deep dark science at all, it does require you to pay attention to whom you link to. There are people out there who use all kinds of tricks to inflate their own link popularity when "reciprocal linking" by using some of the following tactics:

1. Making the links to your site in JavaScript so that search engine spiders can't read them.

2. Adding their reciprocal links pages or directory to their robots.txt file so that the reciprocal links never get spidered.

3. Exchanging links with you, and then taking the link to your site off of their site or moving it around constantly.

In the beginning, you may have trouble finding people willing to exchange links - especially if your page rank is low. As time goes on, however, it will get easier - to the point that you'll be the one getting requests from other sites.

Greg

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Go for quality vs. quantity. You will better be able to keep an eye on your link partners and the links will have greater value. Find link partners that might even, perhaps, maybe even....send you traffic. There are lots of lind scammers out there, as pointed out in the previous post. A quick thing to do is to see if the link page is even indexed - I have found some times it was not - if its not find out if the site is new.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

As Cheesehead pointed out, you can go to Google or other search engines and see if the page even shows up. you can also check if they are blocking search engine spiders from their links pages by going to their site and typing the following:

www.sitename.com/robots.txt

If they are blocking spiders from their links pages, there may be an entry in their robots.txt file that looks something like this:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /their-link-directory/

or

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /their-link-page.html

Greg

ABW Ambassador
    Most affiliates have more than 1 site. Most recip links go like this:
    A <--------->A
    B <--------->B
    C <--------->C
    Meaning if i put a link on my site to yours, i can find a link back to my site from the same site i linked too.

A better way is:
    A <--------->B
    B <--------->C
    C <--------->A
    Meaning i can put a link to one of your sites but i won't find a link back to my site from the one i just linked too but from another site of yours so it doesn't look like a reciprocal link.

Also what i like doing since DMOZ doesn't like affiliate sites, is to get links in from sites that are in DMOZ. It's where i go when i do look for link exchanges.

Hey Greg,

I still remember that CSS code for form boxes you posted ... helped me mucho, thanks for participating and helping again.

============
    Trusty,

Great advice
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

One more thought on linking. It pays to exchange with sites that are definitely getting their own traffic to the page your link is on. I started tracking those links and in a lot of cases those pages don't get traffic.

But the ones that are sending traffic have sent enough traffic equal to half of what the SEs are sending. I evaluate sites according to their being used by other people before I ask for a link on the site.

Traffic flow is cash flow.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I evaluate sites according to their being used by other people before I ask for a link on the site.
    How can you tell if a site is being used by other people (unless it's in the top 10 in one of the big 3 SEs or something, in which case it'd have to have a Forbidden Error or something in order for people not to be using it...)?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've been checking possible link partner's traffic at http://www.metricsmarket.com/tools/trafficchecker/

Does anyone know how accurate this is?

Ray

Ray, that's a pretty cool link. I tested a few of my sites and it's somewhat accurate. It can give you a decent big picture idea. I wonder how this information is gathered. Maybe Alexa?
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hey Greg,

I still remember that CSS code for form boxes you posted ... helped me mucho, thanks for participating and helping again.
    Thanks for recognizing my contributions Haiko. I should've posted this earlier. I don't post often, but when I do, I try to be as helpful as possible. This is my favorite forum on the net by far. People here have helped me out with various problems numerous times. That's why I like to help others here whenever I can.

Thanks Again

Greg

another great reason to try to get your site on DMOZ if at all possible is that DMOZ is highly syndicated, getting one appropriate listing in DMOZ can get your site listed in thousands of directories based off of DMOZ, both officially syndicated directories such as amazon, netscape, and aol's directories; and DMOZ directories which are based on scripts which can either work by cacheing the DMOZ data from the web, or from downloading the data from DMOZ just like the major directories do it.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Also what i like doing since DMOZ doesn't like affiliate sites, is to get links in from sites that are in DMOZ. It's where i go when i do look for link exchanges.
    If you use URL redirects, this will never show an affiliate link, will DMOZ then accept your site?

I did see one site (i wont mention the name) which uses affiliate links in it, but uses URL redirects in DMOZ

Now if they accept one affiliate site, why are they partial to the others? Its not fair.

--------------------------

I was reading google's sitemaps forum the other day, and this person brought up an issue that her site gets deindexed , after it's been indexed, and some people gave her the html validator URL and said, that her website had many validation errors in it.

does google remove sites if they have html validation errors in them?

"does google remove sites if they have html validation errors in them?"

Absolutely not.

"Now if they accept one affiliate site, why are they partial to the others?"

Some editors in some categories may be more lenient than others. Also, some affiliate sites may have more going for them than just the "affiliate angle" to begin with.

"Its not fair."

So what? Nothing is fair.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The first affiliate site I ever made, years ago, got into DMOZ in about a week.
    The sites after that, that I submitted (some affiliate-some not)... never got in, never heard anything back from them after years.

Rarely even think about DMOZ anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    The first affiliate site I ever made, years ago, got into DMOZ in about a week.
    The sites after that, that I submitted (some affiliate-some not)... never got in, never heard anything back from them after years.

Rarely even think about DMOZ anymore.
    I get traffic for certain things, even though my site is not on dmoz, and i've managed to be on the 2 or 3 position in some SEs , by doing things the right way ofcourse.

Talking
    All those sites that 'mirror' dmoz results and used to provide additional backlinks...I think google discounted them years ago. I rarely see one anymore.

I just consider dmoz as a site i'd like to get a link from, but probly won't. (pr9)

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread