Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Newbie ProfessorCAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    21
    Question Which Type Of Affiliate Program Do You Earn the Most Money With?
    Ok, I know this is a very broad question, but I am really curious which programs/products/services produce above average ROI for affiliates.

    I would like to specifically exclude Adult, Pharmacy and Gambling related programs. Everything else is fair game.

    What do you guys recommend?

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    West Coast USA
    Posts
    3,043
    Above average ROI for affiliates may depend on the affiliate as well as the program.

  3. #3
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Anything where the merchant AM will transparently take responsibility for the conversion ratio. All else is hype best left to those adept at all three forms of spamming ...SERPs -email -browser.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  4. #4
    Chick with Brains Tracy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    1,878
    Picking the best selling subject is kind of a backwards way of doing things. First, most likely there is a lot of competition. Second, if it is a subject you know absolutely nothing about, chances are you won't be very good at promoting it.

    Far better to start with something you know about, and then look for areas that nobody is promoting heavily so you have less competition. It's a numbers game. The more you have out there, the more you'll make. I started with a six-page site without even knowing about affiliate marketing. My site is getting close to 5,000 pages. I quit my job and do this full-time.

  5. #5
    Newbie ProfessorCAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    21
    Fair enough.

    Assuming you were an affiliate marketer that is interested in choosing programs that offered the best prospects for success which ones are producing results for "real world" affiliates?

    I understand the concept of matching products and services to your existing traffic base. Let's assume a clean sheet approach to this. Let's say you were an experienced marketer who was versed in SEO and paid advertising and were looking for new markets that you previously hadn't promoted...

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador Paul_Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    It's a numbers game. The more you have out there, the more you'll make
    So some would have you believe. There are those of us who see it as a quality game, the better the quality, the more you make. I do many things that are often emphatically slammed by people who I know from their previous postings make considerably less than I do. If I listened to them, I'd do less well, if they listened to me - they'd probably do less well too as not everyone can repeat all successes.

    Numbers are part of it sure, but only the short-sighted stop there and see no further. It's about working out what works for you. There are few absolute truths about how to make money in AM and everything should be taken with a pinch of salt - whoever it comes from and however forcefully they try to ram it down your throat - as some will.

  7. #7
    Chick with Brains Tracy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    1,878
    Oh Paul, I didn't mean put up crap. I certainly don't advocate that. I don't even use datafeed because I don't want to be a carbon copy of 100s of other sites. I manually design every single page, and I bring together several sources for purchasing the item(s) described on the page. I give my visitors choices.

    I just meant it's a numbers game in the sense that all sales are. If you were a phone solicitor, and only make 20 calls a day, you're not going to earn as much as the guy who makes 100 calls a day.

  8. #8
    Chick with Brains Tracy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    1,878
    Let's say you were an experienced marketer who was versed in SEO and paid advertising and were looking for new markets that you previously hadn't promoted.
    So basically, you are such a marketer, you've exhausted all the knowledge you have about subjects you are interested in, and now you want to know what people here are succeeding with, so that you can enter the market and compete against them?

  9. #9
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    164
    Hi Prof,
    you want to diversify? I know you from CAP, where I post sometimes.
    Other non-gambling, non-health and non-adult markets that I think are interessting is Telecommunication because of life-time commission. It is somewhat like poker. You will make money from your referrals for a long time, but the amount of money you make in total only grows slowly.
    Other things that have good payouts are financial affiliate programs.
    But, both industries have already pretty tough competition, which you are used to, I can imagine.
    I think that there is still a lot of stuff out there that can make you good money, you just need the search engine positions!

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    25
    Hi Prof, Antoine here...

    I agree with Burgi. Outside of the big three (casino, adult. and pharm) financial affiliate programs have some of the most potential. I still dont have great rankings in those industries, but so far the results I have seen seem to be positive. Otherwise I would recommend herbal products especially penis enhancements. In the past I would also have recommended satellite programs but due to the recent actions of a directv retailer, I am rethinking my position on this.

  11. #11
    Newbie ProfessorCAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    21
    So basically, you are such a marketer, you've exhausted all the knowledge you have about subjects you are interested in, and now you want to know what people here are succeeding with, so that you can enter the market and compete against them?
    To be totally candid, yes. None of us promotes in a vacume. I am fairly certain you are not the lone affiliate of the programs you work with now and I would hope that an additional affiliate partner wouldnt sink the ship.

    My particular field has been hobbled by a reduction in available advertising venues and my income which was previously over $100K monthly has dropped over the past 16 months. I still earn a very hefty living doing what I do, but as the old adage says "Its best to dig the well before you need the water". I am going to expand into the retail sector anyway, I was hoping to minimize waste by getting a better feel on whats working.

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    West Coast USA
    Posts
    3,043
    >Telecommunication because of life-time commission.

    yaaaaaa, I'm a Cognigen stockholder.

  13. #13
    Newbie ProfessorCAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Burgi and Antoine It's great to see some familiar faces.

  14. #14
    Fear and Arrogance jrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCAP
    Ok, I know this is a very broad question, but I am really curious which programs/products/services produce above average ROI for affiliates.
    The ones I don't tell anyone about.

    -John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

    Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

  15. #15
    Newbie ProfessorCAP's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    21
    Aw come on John, sharing is good for the soul

  16. #16
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    So some would have you believe. There are those of us who see it as a quality game, the better the quality, the more you make. I do many things that are often emphatically slammed by people who I know from their previous postings make considerably less than I do. If I listened to them, I'd do less well, if they listened to me - they'd probably do less well too as not everyone can repeat all successes.

    Numbers are part of it sure, but only the short-sighted stop there and see no further. It's about working out what works for you. There are few absolute truths about how to make money in AM and everything should be taken with a pinch of salt - whoever it comes from and however forcefully they try to ram it down your throat - as some will.
    I agree 100% with this. Many will say that it's a numbers game and I've been fighting this for some time. For me, it's a quality game. Think about what you know best and how you can produce the most quality. If you only play the numbers game, it'll always be a dead end race. The search engines reward quality and customers reward quality. If you provide a quality service, you'll make exponentially more than anybody playing the numbers game. Best part is you'll retain your income a lot better over the long run.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    To answer you question... if you're going to get into retail electronics always perform well, but it's very competitive. I'm going to start working out of retail pretty soon and focus more on selling to programmers and developers. This is a very difficult market to compete in, so I think the competition abundant as the retail markets. I love working with developers because I'm part of their circle, so it's an obvious choice for me. Maybe just consider your obvious choices.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  18. #18
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Needless to say, I disagree with those trying to ram the above (2 posts up) down our throat, no matter how much saccharine coating they put on it.

    Although I don't think it's a pure numbers game, either. The Pitch has a lot to do with CR. Those who just list links are often disappointed.

    Thing is, going too far the other way has the same effect. Letting the customer stay around until their excitement dies out isn't it. They need to get to the merchant's site while their CC is still in their hand!

    It's about working out what works for you. ~Paul Ward
    That's the truth of it. But certain people seem to think they should be able to dictate how others make their sites according to their own definitions of "quality!" I say to heck with that; they have no authority over me or anyone else, and they have a hell of a lot of gall to try to impose their "standards" on any of us, regardless of what those "standards" are or any justification they may dream up.
    Last edited by Leader; March 1st, 2005 at 10:38 PM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  19. #19
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    How dare they!
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  20. #20
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    As for a category that does well, I find less-saturated things to do well. Every putz on the net tries to sell books, CDs, games...that sort of thing. The profit's not worth the effort it'd take to rank--what's 7% of an $7 paperback? Less than 70c/sale; not worth the time of the typing...

    I do best when it's something that people search for an exact item. Seen On TV has sometimes been good to me--if I can spot a hot product *before* the entire rest of the Net (there's a zillion On TV affiliates).

    Sporting Goods is another one that does well. Again, though, the general category doesn't do much for me. The money is in the specifics.

    Plants do well, but there's some real uberdud merchants in that category, so watch out for 'em. Do your due diligence in this cat.

    Home decorating's a good pick, money-wise, but a lot of those merchants are parasite-ridden. It's kind of a Catch-22 category because of that. Because of the paras, I'd be hesitant to do paid advertising in this area.

    As for other stuff, it depends on how the breeze is blowing that year. What sells one year may sit and rot the next. It also depends on where the traffic is coming from. I have one product that sells a lot better on Google traffic than from MSN traffic. This is backwards to how it used to be, for the same product!!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  21. #21
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    This message is hidden because Snib is on your ignore list.
    Now this thread looks much nicer!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  22. #22
    ABW Ambassador qball0213's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Now this thread looks much nicer!
    The ignore button is a wonderful thing.

  23. #23
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Talking
    Red Roses in Saudi Arabia get sold out daily (TRUTH:under the counter) for $2.70 each. Learn Arabic and go after that low hanging fruit.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  24. #24
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    I do many things that are often emphatically slammed by people who I know from their previous postings make considerably less than I do.~Paul Ward
    That's got nothing to do with the methods used to do sites. I'm sure that "they" find that less time w*rking is more important than raw $$$--and therefore spend a lot of time playing Rome Total War instead of making sites.

    On a "per hour of w*rk actually done" basis I doubt that "they" are making any less.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador Paul_Ward's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    That's got nothing to do with the methods used to do sites. I'm sure that "they" find that less time w*rking is more important than raw $$$--and therefore spend a lot of time playing Rome Total War instead of making sites.

    On a "per hour of w*rk actually done" basis I doubt that "they" are making any less.
    You've missed my point - which was that no-one can correctly say "don't do this, it doesn't work" - something I regularly read here in various forms. You can say "don't do this it doesn't work for me - it may be different for you" - but I don't see that very often.

    There's too much black and white advice and for whatever reason it concerns me that newbies or almost newbies may accept it as an absolute which it isn't.

    As for how you spend your time - that's up to you and seems in contradiction to your early comment about how other people try to impose their idea of quality on you. I for one have a 4 day a week all day job and make sites in my spare time, most of the time I don't consider building sites work anyhow. Playing computer games - now that would be my idea of an onerous thing to do in front of my keyboard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Earn Money with UK Office Online Affiliate Program
    By ukofficedirect in forum UK/European Affiliates
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •