Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rapid Satellite starting to act like idiots terminating affiliates
    Just because you dont live in the USA.. OH what a dumb excuse if I have ever heard one...

well i hope your program goes to the shi*ter.... we were helping you... and this is how you repay us now.. *******s

in the words of John Stosel

GIVE ME A BREAK!

I agree. Rapid satellite is going down. I recommend we contact all existing rapid satellites affiliates and let them know what is going on. I have caught them in a lie before, that lie was that they were stealing 2nd tiers. Now they are selectively terminating affiliates who have made sales without paying them. This program is dishonest and fraudulent. Please do not promote this scum. If you are promoting them, it's only a matter of time before they rip you off.

Someone who steals once will do it again. At least now it's in the open and we dont have to waste our time making them money.

Affiliate Manager
    Amen to that!

Angry
    Their action is totally immoral!

They used to welcome international affiliates, but now they are disposing of them without any compensation for the time and money spend promoting their program. Some of us had been recruiting lots of sub-affiliates that could potentially have generated income for years to come. Not paying out this money is theft!

Trusted Merchant status was a great idea. How about starting a Dishonest Merchant list?

Riatsala

Seems like they are on a roll to steal subaffiliates any way they can. Drop you and keep all the affiliates you ever recruited without ever again having to compensate you for their earnings.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like some devious plots, launched from those gated door AM bootcamp drill instructors, are floaters in the AM cesspoll. I spend years making TigerDirect into a top performer for everyone and they whack me for no cause. The recent "Audible" AM snafu and CollectablesToday refusing a long term legit producer into their CJ program hoping to silence a voice. Makes one wonder when the herd of BHO's start popping up into each of these clued in programs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope
    Just because you dont live in the USA.. OH what a dumb excuse if I have ever heard one...

well i hope your program goes to the shi*ter.... we were helping you... and this is how you repay us now.. *******s

in the words of John Stosel

GIVE ME A BREAK!
    Let me jump in and give you all the facts as they are. This is not a decision that we agree with. Unfortunately, we were given a choice. 1. Do not offer a DIRECTV affiliate program, or 2. Play by DIRECTV's rules.

We chose 2 for obvious reasons. We hate the fact of having to terminate these affiliates... most of them are awesome affiliates. unfortunately, this is their choice. All other DIERCTV Dealers will have to do the same... again.. it's not a RAPID policy -- it's DIRECTV laying down the law.

Quote Originally Posted by omegafx
    I agree. Rapid satellite is going down. I recommend we contact all existing rapid satellites affiliates and let them know what is going on. I have caught them in a lie before, that lie was that they were stealing 2nd tiers. Now they are selectively terminating affiliates who have made sales without paying them. This program is dishonest and fraudulent. Please do not promote this scum. If you are promoting them, it's only a matter of time before they rip you off.

Someone who steals once will do it again. At least now it's in the open and we dont have to waste our time making them money.

Rapid is the #1 online DIRECTV Dealer -- we are not going down at all -- that is why we complied with DIRECTV. Marketing our affiliate program to members of the affiliate community on CJ is not stealing your 2nd tiers. As I repeated to you at least 3 times, CJ does not provide the email addresses we email our program to, so we cannot scrub the information against our in-house program. The last thing we are is fraudulent... please... be honest here.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    This is not my forum and I may not even have a reason to chime in here, so feel free to delete this post if you feel it should be.....

Having said that, this sounds like DirectTv needs an education on affiliate marketing. They need someone to tell them how it is. This sounds like a knee jerk reaction to a fraud problem they are encountering and don't have the right anwser on how to solve it.

Facts:

1) Most "foreign" affilaites send 99% of their traffic to US consumers, potential DTV customers
    2) Fraud can come from US affiliates as well
    3) By turning away these 'foreign" affiliates they will be loosing a big chunk of revenue.

I work with many affiliates outside the US and can vouche for their quality traffic. I understand you are following policy though....

I'm available for a call with you or anyone at DTV if you feel it may be usefull in explaining the reality of the industry and may help find a solution....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    sounds like DirectTv needs an education on affiliate marketing. They need someone to tell them how it is.

Yes... they do need an education. I have tried myself with little luck. The issue here is that DIRECTV has come under some scrutiny from the FTC and Attorney Generals. Compliance is at the top of their list. Not having jurisdiction over foreign affiliates, scares them. They have a legal department that is all over compliance and they are going to close any holes they can.

They have listened to me a bit... Their first response was to just do away with Affiliate Programs. Slowly they warmed up to it, but they are looking for something they can control a bit more. Again folks... I feel terrible about this... Please don't shoot the messenger... I am extremely distraught over this whole thing.

Marketing our affiliate program to members of the affiliate community on CJ is not stealing your 2nd tiers.
    YES IT IS!!!!!

I don't even USE your program so I can be objective. I have nothing to gain or lose either way.

But, it damned well IS stealing their subaffiliates!!!!

This sounds like a loser program if I ever heard of one.

How come your program has all these legal problems and all the other programs seem to be doing just fine with the law and the government?

Something stinks in the woodpile.

Recommend you drop your private program and switch everything to CJ to cover your ass from whatever apparently needs covering. Start accepting foreign affiliates through CJ.

AND, CARRY OVER ALL THE SUBAFFILIATES AS SUBAFFILIATES TO THE RIGHTFUL AFFILIATES!!!!

PAY PEOPLE WHAT THEY EARNED!!!

Never, never did I think I would tell a program to go to CJ but they have apparently dug into something they shouldn't and need the buffer.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    FTC & Attorney General intervention means, like most lead programs, your infested with hidden e-mail spam farms buried in 2 tier programs. Next exposure to the legal eagles & fines will come from 3rd world and USA outsourced telemarketing call centers attached at the pooper to the spammers and privacy info scrapers. Sounds like a no win situation...Either live with the tainted advertising mindset pooring the Coolaid.. or face the wrath of those legit players who get thrown out with the dirty bath water.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think ecomcity may have hit the nail on the head this time. Darned good guess.

So may go all email spammers and merchants who allow spam farms.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    FTC & Attorney General intervention means, like most lead programs, your infested with hidden e-mail spam farms buried in 2 tier programs. Next exposure to the legal eagles & fines will come from 3rd world and USA outsourced telemarketing call centers attached at the pooper to the spammers and privacy info scrapers. Sounds like a no win situation...Either live with the tainted advertising mindset pooring the Coolaid.. or face the wrath of those legit players who get thrown out with the dirty bath water.
    Actually... I think it's for automated outbound telemarketing. Email isn't something they ever did. Again.. guys this is DIRECTV that has the FTV issues.. Not Rapid Satellite.

Internet Cowboy
    This all boils down to the US providing stringent regulation on the sat tv industry.
    I don't see that there is much that Rapid can do.
    As for the second tier affiliates, from what I read in this thread and the one on their site, the payout for CJ is less than the indie and WE ALL KNOW that a good indie pgm with a solid merchant is golden and not apt to CJ's quirks.
    If you were an affiliate in the indie pgm and making money, would you move it to CJ? I think not.

I'm a little surprised at the uprising going on. I also understand the disappointment although i think it is misdirected.

Everyone Affiliated with a DIRECTV Retailer should know this is DIRECTV doing this not any retailer.

They have gotten so sticked that in order to become an affiliate they personally inspect your website.

DIRECTV Retailers can't have any contractual relationship with any foreign affiliates for the services of DIRECTV or its subsidiaries.
    dave

Affiliate Manager
    Because I'm also a foreign affiliate, I'm also not very happy about this situation, but I want to add a few other facts to this thread:

I was associated to another Directv company (Isatellite). They also terminated me, even at the beginning of this year. For me, that was ok, because I just signed up with them about a month before that and had no subaffiliates.

ExpertSatellite, another Directv company, even kicked me before that in October or so. Don't remember when exactly.

The interesting thing about that is that we asked RapidSatellite back then if that has any effect on Rapid. The answer was no, at this time, foreign affiliates would still be able to promote them, and should there ever be a problem in the future, foreign affiliates could just move to CJ, which sounded like a fair deal to me. Better promote them through CJ, than not at all, eventhough second tier commission would also be not credited where the credit would have been due.

Now, I was actually terminated from rapidsatellite at the beginning of february already because of the issue of being a foreigner. But, here comes the problem I have with RapidSatellite: At that time, I was told that my affiliate account would stay open, so I could continue to earn 2nd tier commission. When I checked my stats a few days ago to see my 2nd tier sales, my entire 2nd tier was suddently deleted. No message to me, or anything!
    So, I send them an email and the response was basically, that I would have to take this up with the DirecTV legal department and that they could do nothign about it.
    I do know htat they cannot do anything about it, but what really bothers me is that they told me that I would still receive 2nd tier commission, but then just closed my entire account, and never informed me about that. I just don't like the dishonesty, which is something that I'm mad about.

Ok, just thought that this information might be interesting to this thread!

ABW Ambassador
    RapidSatellite, are you paying the members for what they have currently earned up to the point of them being forced out of the program?

This was discused by me and someone in this thread a month or so ago (don't want to mention any names).

But, you should take your DIRECTV pages and turn them into DISH Network Sales.
    dave

'This was discused by me and someone in this thread a month or so ago (don't want to mention any names).

But, you should take your DIRECTV pages and turn them into DISH Network Sales.'

I agree entirely. I am in the process of doing this. The sad reality is that I am enjoying it.

This is what is so immoral about the actions of Rapid Satellite, I will ignore the 2nd tier aspect for a moment because it is not relevant to most affiliates.

1. They terminated all affiliates without paying commissions that are due.

Some people with families to feed were waiting and relying on the rapid satellite check. These affiliates had faith that Rapid was a reliable program and that they would see the commissions earned at the end of the month. Now those same people will have mortgage bounce, will not be able to afford health insurance for that month, they will have to borrow money to buy diapers, food, etc.

2. Affiliates terminated without warning.

What about giving affiliates at least a 2 week warning. Rapid satellite gave everyone a 1 month warning to change text on websites to reflect directv having 4 receivers instead of 5. 2 Weeks or more would have give affiliates time to change links around. What happens now if someone had been doing a major offline or ppc campaign? These affiliates would be spending thousands only to have the traffic go to rapid satellite without compensation.

3. It states in the email that affiliates will be deleted after 90 days of inactivity.

I have a big secret to tell you. It takes all websites at least 4 months to get out of the google sandbox. That means it's impossible for a new site to get listed in google until 4 months, and that's 4 months after the site is initially crawled. Msn and yahoo are better with speed but it takes month to rank well. It's great that someone can take the time and investment to design a site only to be removed without notification. This applies to everyone including USA affiliates.

This was not handled well at all. If you want someone that is still accepting non-usa affiliates sign up with www.nationwidesatellite.com But why would you want to promote directv in the first place? This leaves a pretty foul taste in my mouth and I dont want to have anything to do with that company. What we can do as affiliates is dominate the first 10 rankings under anything satellite related with dish network.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    RapidSatellite, are you paying the members for what they have currently earned up to the point of them being forced out of the program?
    YES.... of course. The accoutns are still in the system so that we may process payments in the next week. The only accounts permanently deleted were inactives. Again guys... we are sorry for this... but we had no other option other than to shut down teh entire program.
    Last edited by RapidSatellite; March 2nd, 2005 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling

[QUOTE=omegafx]
    1. They terminated all affiliates without paying commissions that are due.

Some people with families to feed were waiting and relying on the rapid satellite check. These affiliates had faith that Rapid was a reliable program and that they would see the commissions earned at the end of the month. Now those same people will have mortgage bounce, will not be able to afford health insurance for that month, they will have to borrow money to buy diapers, food, etc.

2. Affiliates terminated without warning.

What about giving affiliates at least a 2 week warning. Rapid satellite gave everyone a 1 month warning to change text on websites to reflect directv having 4 receivers instead of 5. 2 Weeks or more would have give affiliates time to change links around. What happens now if someone had been doing a major offline or ppc campaign? These affiliates would be spending thousands only to have the traffic go to rapid satellite without compensation.
    [QUOTE]

OK Omega... you are taking up space on this thread. Posting responses without reading the other posts is just bad etiquette. You are repeating the same objections well after they have been addressed. 1. Foreign Affiliates will be paid what they are due. Inactive terminations have no money due (hence "inactive"). 2. Giveing notice was not an option given to us. Isn't it obvious that this was an immediate order? For the record, we had 48 hours to take action.

Now... I've tried to respond to every concern here. I will continue to do so, but let's stick to things that have not been addressed please. We want to do the right thing.... given the current DIRECTV directives.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    This is not my forum and I may not even have a reason to chime in here, so feel free to delete this post if you feel it should be.....

Having said that, this sounds like DirectTv needs an education on affiliate marketing. They need someone to tell them how it is. This sounds like a knee jerk reaction to a fraud problem they are encountering and don't have the right anwser on how to solve it.

Facts:

1) Most "foreign" affilaites send 99% of their traffic to US consumers, potential DTV customers
    2) Fraud can come from US affiliates as well
    3) By turning away these 'foreign" affiliates they will be loosing a big chunk of revenue.

I work with many affiliates outside the US and can vouche for their quality traffic. I understand you are following policy though....

I'm available for a call with you or anyone at DTV if you feel it may be usefull in explaining the reality of the industry and may help find a solution....

well put Andy... pity there are not more managers like yourself on board...

seems most programs get up to a pinnacle.. they are honest and then they pull a move like dropping affiliates for same lamo reason.. i dont care what rapid has to say its utter B.S. No other direct tv program is doing.. and they all work for the same direct tv.. so pull another one...

well being as these boards get spidered pretty well.. should make for some good review based information for people considering rapid in the future..

'The only accounts permanently deleted were inactives.'

This is bs and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSatellite
    Actually... I think it's for automated outbound telemarketing. Email isn't something they ever did. Again.. guys this is DIRECTV that has the FTV issues.. Not Rapid Satellite.

Yah whatever like we really believe you..

DIRECTV doesnt have an issue with all the other programs.. so answer that..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast