Smile Increasing Revenue with Decreasing Traffic
    Considering the current circumstances with Google I thought I'd start a brainstorm for increasing revenue despite the lack of traffic. This has been my focus for the past several months and I'm finally seeing an upturn in sales revenue with the same number of clicks. I thought I'd share a few of my tricks and see if others can add to the list.

First and foremost better navigation is key. You need to give people several paths to each point of sale. I've been studying my merchant's sites closely to understand how their navigation works. If you have a good performing merchant, look closely at how they organize their information. Even the slightest little thing can make all the difference. For example, a brand filter is really helpful. Don't forget popularity sorts, price sorts and even product name sorts. I've found that listing similar items on each product page is helpful as well.

Another way to improve revenue is to earn trust with your customers. Make your site look professional. Hire a professional designer if you can. Adopt a logo and start building a solid brand with a consistent color scheme. Write a little about your company on an About Us page and always offer a Contact Form so your customers know they can reach you. Write up a privacy policy so they can trust you even more. I've found that trust is very important and unless you lay it to your customers straight, they won't come back.

The hardest way to increase revenue is to provide cool features. A solid price comparison engine is a winner as well as wishlists and reviews. Reviews are tricky because not every audience will contribute them. Especially in a market that is rampant with reviews such as digital camera reviews or video games. You'll need to write reviews yourself if you ask your customers to write reviews. You also need to provide a service they enjoy and come back for time and time again. Collecting content from customers is very difficult. Try not to let it discourage you if you build a review system and nobody submits any. You need to build several additional features before anybody will notice you. If you can find a good programmer or have programming experience this is where it comes in handy.

Don't give up hope, there's still plenty of sales to be had. My best advice is to focus on the traffic you have and milk it!

Good luck!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

In light of all these changes I've made, I'm seeing a drastic increase in sales. My search engine traffic is the same, but my return traffic and clicks are increasing. My sales have nearly doubled. I doubt this will work for everybody, but I'm seeing some excellent results!

- Scott

Scott,

I have been working on this as well over the past two months. With regard to the changes you have made on your site, do you find that one change in particular has had more of an effect than others?

So far, I am not seeing a dramatic increase in sales -- but mostly I have to attribute that to very very low traffic numbers. I am getting about a tenth of the traffic I was getting in November. It's difficult to test new site revisions when the traffic is not substantial.

Just curious if you see one change working better than others, or if you feel your increases are a result of ALL the changes together.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

It's hard to say if one change has made the difference since I did everything at once. I'm in a unique position because my traffic is being sent to my category pages. While this may be a burden to some, I'm finding ways to harvest sales from it. I think the thing that made a difference here is that I'm showing the number of products in each category next to the category link. This was very tricky to program, but was well worth it. It shows that I maintain in stock items and I'm confident in the number of products per category. People are much more willing to click on my category links knowing how many products they'll find.

This is just one enhancement I've made.

- Scott

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread