Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    osCommerce - Anyone familiar with this?
    I have a 'hopefully' soon to be new client that currently uses osCommerce for their shopping cart.

I was curious if anyone here is familiar with the installation & administration end of this product. I went to their website but the Admin Tool Demo is currently offline so I can't see it in action. The website is http://www.oscommerce.com

My main questions about it are:
    • How hard is this to install on a server and get running?
    • How easy it is to add new products - what does it entail?
    • Can I use the 'Add to Cart' link on any webpage I like, or does it have to be on a page generated by the program? The client has a new design in mind that would have to be totally custom on each page, but wants to be able to have people add to cart right from each custom page.
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Adding products and categories is easy. Server installation is pretty simple if your hosting company is available for any site path info to the standard server script files. Each oscommerce ecatalog item has it's own product page so copying the URL and making a "buy it now" button is a cut and paste task with also is good SERP link fodder.

You can customize the layout with your own images, HTML and remove the add-on features. Real detailed instructions are very clear so trial and error and the forum are the cure to info requests and tips.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks Mike!

So I would be able to design each page the way the client wants with multiple products on it and use whatever image that they want for the "Add To Cart" image and just paste the "Add to Cart" link right next to each product image and when it is clicked on it would put "that" product in the cart correct?

In other words they want to be able to place any "add to cart" link on any page on their website and have it work with osCommerce. This is what they are aiming for.

I hope I am making sense.
    ~Michelle

http and a telephoto
    In other words they want to be able to place any "add to cart" link on any page on their website and have it work with osCommerce. This is what they are aiming for.
    The answer is yes. You might also want to check out Zen Cart at http://zen-cart.com and a loaded version of oscommerce at http://creloaded.com
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Design the static pages just like a regular website showcasing products within categories. Make the main site navigation flow to what would allow the customer to trust their credit card to this merchant. Place individual "click for details or purchase" buttons point to to the oscommerce product page on the showcase products. Let the oscommerce section have links back to the static pages as well as easy catalog navigation.

My only oscommerce project is stalled waiting on the client to furnish product photos, descriptions, prices and SKU #s or it had been done weeks ago. www.crystalare.com Took me 1 week to through together what you see winging it and taking some photos myself, as is my normal style. I spent more time curing their computer viruses & BHO's, upgrading 2 older systems and networking them, getting them DSL, and setting up QuickBook Pro accounting then I did on the site. Discussing a viable ebiz plan and brick-n-mortar expansion has so many options the owner has tended to the nuts and bolts as they dream of the money flow potentials....LOL.

Took me 2 hours to the cart in the server and learn the add product techniques. I hated the online manuals so just jumped to trial and error. Will use the forum for any real questions. Once done I'll certainly have earned my 600.00 setup/design fee. Why do clients always expect you to populate a ecatalog when that's their task. They always fail to even furnish the text content so you spend hours redoing the copy as they e-mail you the changes... and then revisions to the changes...ROLMAO.

I warned them I couldn't keep Google from finding them. They had a stupid one page FLASH site with 2 photos, 2 non SE freindly sentences and a phone # for 2 years. I'll have them buying from Overstock's Gold Club and running auctions at OS and ebay and sales on the site for the filler items not made by the gals there. Maybe hook them up with Mondera's Chris as an outlet for his beaded jewelry. The owner packs up all the new creations in a case and sells out at some costume jewelry trade show with the first hour of display. Yep my typical customer as her husband is also a client selling used industrial plant equipment.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks to you both!

The client already has their store set up in osCommerce for the most part. Right now it is set with a simple "Visit our Store" link that goes straight into osCommerce. They just want something totally different for their redesign.

Hopefully their current host will continue to host the site even with a new website designer because it will make it a whole lot easier all the way around.

One last (hopefully) question...
    In case they do not stay hosted there and I have to reset up the store. About how long does it take to list a single product if the pictures & copy are all set and ready to go? (Need that info to ballpark my quote. *G*)

BTW, nice looking site Mike!
    ~Michelle

http and a telephoto
    There is an add on called easypopulate that will let you export and reimport your products and categories. Or if you are just moving the installation do an sql dump and use the same database. There shouldn't be any reason to have to re-add the products.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There is an add on called easypopulate that will let you export and reimport your products and categories. Or if you are just moving the installation do an sql dump and use the same database. There shouldn't be any reason to have to re-add the products.
    Looking ahead in case their current webdesigner/host gets upset because they are going to be replaced and refuses to hand over the files.
    ~Michelle

http and a telephoto
    Do you currently have access to the osCommerce admin? You can backup the database anytime from admin and save the mysql file locally. If not, then have the client ask for daily or weekly backups from whoever *does* have access.
    Deborah Carney

Do the export routines to your local system. Then use FTP to dowload all the files, photos and existing HTML to your Harddrive. Sounds like the same senerio your facing was what was the case when I accepted the Crystalare.com project. Disgruntled ex-webmaster and janitor whacked the office system with virues and adware, changed the hosting PW and set up an ebay competing site with the clients product distributor list. I'm used to these hic-ups to the smooth sailing original project quote. Running for sandwiches, installing new multi-phone system, all-in-one HP printer and taping the power cord on the coffee pot are part of the daily tasks of the sites webmaster. I draw the line at picking up the kids and shoveling office the walkways.

Thanks for the info so far. I don't have access to anything yet and am not sure I will. The client is trying to find that out. I am going to have to give them two quotes: One for the whole site from scratch, one with the new site, but using the existing setup.

Just when I think I have enough info to quote them, they toss the following at me.

Is this even possible?

"We now want more than just an add to cart button. We want the shopper to be able to click on the product - be presented with a drop down menu with different product patterns - select product pattern and it adds to cart automatically - all from the product image.

You aren't required to quit shopping until you want to view cart.

In case of some other products we want to be able to Click on the product and have a drop down menu has list of product pack sizes - once that is selected - another menu with colors. In other words, you should be able to shop from images. When finished, click view cart and check out from there."

Ok, am I slow today or are they talking about something way out there?
    ~Michelle

http and a telephoto
    Those are questions that you will have to ask at the oscommerce forums or go to http://creloaded.com and see if there is a mod. It is not something you can do with osCommerce straight install.
    Deborah Carney

Michael if you can use the "options" field for colors -sizes etc. to satisfy the customer then take the project. If these cheapskates want multi-million dollar cart features, with live imaging of selected options then WALK. They paid nothing for the osCommerce cart and will pay you peanuts, with ever changing demands, till your left with unpaid work balances and both parties upset. Then they'll find some other sucker for phase II.

I need someone who can do mods to OSCommerce anyone have any names?

"We now want more than just an add to cart button. We want the shopper to be able to click on the product - be presented with a drop down menu with different product patterns - select product pattern and it adds to cart automatically - all from the product image.

This shouldn't be too hard....just time consuming. Mambo php shop (also based on php and MySQL database) has this funtion built into it. I'm no php guru yet, but it should be simple enough to adapt the code from mambo php shop and insert it into your oscommerce product pages. OR, because you can paste any html you like into you product pages in oscommerce, you could also create a little template which performs this function in dreamweaver, and then paste into your product pages. It is simple, but time consuming depending on how many products you're dealing with. Oh well, give them a quote in advance, and charge what your time is worth. I would also encourage the client to get over their excitement about drop-down boxes....they're not Search engine friendly.

I don't think OS commerce has an affiliate management system, but there's either a plugin or most affiliate tracking systems will support it. Usually it's ok as long as you can modify the receipt/thankyou page for tracking.

Cheers,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    there is a plugin affiliate management system and it is built into the loaded version of osc available at http://creloaded.com
    Deborah Carney

Dear Michelle,

Please let me know if you should need to attach a billing system to you OsCommerce setup. CNG Processing ( www.cngpro.com ) has a payment module for Oscommerce which you can install within a few seconds, and they are also able to help you get a merchant account if you haven't already got one. Anyway... just wanted to mention it..

Good lyck with your project

Cheers,
    Martin

I love oscommerce, you might want to look at zencart. it is a derivative of oscommerce and actually has built in paypal ipn support with no module.

http and a telephoto
    Old threads raising their heads again... and with repeated info to boot Check dates and read the threads before you reply.... Just a tip so you don't spend the day reviving old stuff instead of talking about current affairs
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    I have a 'hopefully' soon to be new client that currently uses osCommerce for their shopping cart.

I was curious if anyone here is familiar with the installation & administration end of this product. I went to their website but the Admin Tool Demo is currently offline so I can't see it in action. The website is http://www.oscommerce.com

My main questions about it are:
    • How hard is this to install on a server and get running?
    • How easy it is to add new products - what does it entail?
    • Can I use the 'Add to Cart' link on any webpage I like, or does it have to be on a page generated by the program? The client has a new design in mind that would have to be totally custom on each page, but wants to be able to have people add to cart right from each custom page.
    Thanks in advance!
    oscommerce is a fantastic shopping cart script and can be programmed to accomplish just about any task with the literally thousands of contributions available. Our entire business runs off oscommerce so if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you with anyquestions you might have.

Also try looking into cubecart. I use cubecart and it has a much better aesthetic look out of the box IMO. you can check it out at http://www.cubecart.com

I know this is an old thread but after spending close to four hours checking out various carts I am hoping that some great ABW folks have newer information regarding carts. I need a cart that can work with Paypal's new gateway as they are closing the Verisign Gateway and I just found out that my cart is not on their list for the new gateway (Paypal Manager). This evening about 10:00 PM I got an email telling me that the Payflow link gateway will not work after they "upgrade" (they are creative!) my account sometime after 08/01/07 (!) and I will be out of business if I don't get a replacement cart up and running when they switch my account. Gotta love Paypal.

They have a long list of carts that will work but in checking them out, most of them are not for merchant accounts but Paypal accounts and most of them are hosted so you are stuck with things you don't want or need. The carts I checked out from this thread are not on their list:

* 1GreatShoppingCart.com
    * 1ShoppingCart.com
    * 3dCart Shopping Cart
    * Able Commerce
    * AFCommerce Free Shopping Cart Software
    * Agile Shopping Cart
    * Americart Shopping Cart Service
    * ampleShop™
    * aSecureCart
    * AShop Deluxe
    * AspDotNetStorefront
    * Cart32
    * CartManager
    * cf_ezcart ColdFusion Shopping Cart
    * cityMax
    * Comersus ASP Shopping Cart & Mall
    * CoolCart
    * CyberStrong eShop
    * digiSHOP 4.0
    * Easystorecreator
    * EasyWare B2B Commerce
    * EasyWare Shopping Cart
    * eCart
    * Ecommerce Templates
    * eCOMpal
    * Elastic Path
    * ePages
    * FORTUNE3, Inc.
    * GoECart
    * GotShoppingCart.com
    * MagnetCommerce
    * Mal's E-commerce
    * MIVA
    * MonsterCommerce
    * MyEZShop
    * Nexternal Solutions
    * Party Plan Solutions
    * PDG Software
    * PepperCart Online Shopping Cart
    * Pinnacle Cart
    * Portline
    * Power Shop Cart
    * ProductCart
    * ProStores
    * Quick Cart
    * QuickEStore
    * SalesCart
    * SEO-Cart
    * Shop-Script
    * ShoppingCartGurus.com
    * ShopSite
    * StoreFront®
    * SunShop Shopping Cart
    * TakePayment.com Cart
    * Veara, Inc.
    * Volusion, Inc
    * VP-ASP Shopping Cart
    * X-Cart
    * Zen Cart
    I am hoping someone here has experience with one of these?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Try ZenCart. www.zen-cart.com

I don't use PayPal on mine, but I can't help but notice the fact that Zen's site advertises PayPal compatibility as a big feature. In fact, right under the Download button on the front page, they're blaring that it has something called "PayPal Express Checkout support." It has modules for practically any payment solution of note, too, not just that one.

Search in their forum for the specifics (to see if it's compatible with the exact thing PayPal's up to now--that may be too recent for them to have made a module for it), or check their FAQ. If you do a forum search, make sure to check the post dates--you want to be sure that the post applies to the current cart version, and not some obsolete version from 2005 or so.

As for what a real ZenCart looks like (never mind their showcase stores): www.goodbulbs.com

That's with some basic customization (colors, logo, and all the stuff in the footer). But if you're a real design/CSS whiz, you can change it so much that it doesn't "look like a ZenCart" at all.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

My experience with Americart, Shopsite and Volusion shows them to perform flawlessly with PayPal and Google Checkout. I'd assume the often free hosted osCommerce will alos have the PayPal changes as add-on fixes. I have one site using that one, which I'll check to verify the mod I'm using accepts orders.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast