Lightbulb Question about Merchandising
    I'm an Affiliate Liaison, I'm new to the job so I want to ask a question of you all.
    How open are you generally to merchandising suggestions from the companies you are affiliated with and how do you like to be contacted about it? Right now I run a forum and I have been sending individual e-mails to people that I have opened discussion channels with.

Any opinions that you can give me would be greatly appreciated, I really would like to offer a pleasant and fruitful experience for my affiliates.

Thanks
    Carlos

What do you mean by merchandising suggestions?

One of the programs I work with has several sites that have extensive links to us on some pages but very few on others, even though we have comparable product volume for those catagories. I'm looking to contact them about referencing these products as well. One in particular we have a good relationship with and I would like to discuss with them placing our links in a more prominent way. But I don't want to offend them in my approach.

Did I put this in the wrong forum? Is there a better place for me to put this?

This is a general question, so it seems like the right forum.

I doubt anybody would be offended if a merchant saw some opportunities to expand my income and made suggestions about how to better promote their products in other areas.

I would think anybody would welcome the input, if it was phrased in a nice way. You know: You're doing a fantastic job! I was visiting your site today, and noticed some other areas that our product line would work well with your site.

Maybe they just missed it.

A really good question. Glad you asked it.

I would really appreciate any advice that an affiliate manager wanted to give me. Especially the type of advice that would improve my paycheck.

I only have one manager that does what you suggest. That has made a world of difference in my production on that program.

Wish more managers had the time/inclination to make personal contact with constructive critiques.

ABW Ambassador
    It depends on how closely I work with that merchant and how far behind I am in my work and what sort of products I am looking for at that point of time.

When I have a breather and get an email from a merchant with products that fit nicely into a new site or section, if the commission is right and the merchant is parasite free, chances are, those products are going to be featured on that site.

By the way, what programs are you managing? Do you accept BHOs into your program?

Quote Originally Posted by inflatemouse
    One of the programs I work with has several sites that have extensive links to us on some pages but very few on others, even though we have comparable product volume for those catagories. I'm looking to contact them about referencing these products as well. One in particular we have a good relationship with and I would like to discuss with them placing our links in a more prominent way. But I don't want to offend them in my approach.
    inflatemouse:

First, I would submit that what you're discussing is not merchandising but an expansion of distribution and/or exposure.

I suggest contacting the folks by e-mail and seeing if you get the desired response. Honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. We regularly get e-mails or other messages from AMs about expanding exposure, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyburbs
    We regularly get e-mails or other messages from AMs about expanding exposure, etc.
    This is what spurred my question. I have sent e-mails and realize that while running a site people receive quite a few e-mails in a day. Some Affiliates respond very openly others don't respond. I figured I would pose the question to get information on how to approach Affiliates so they invest more attention than just the usual e-mail scan.

I would like to thank the people who have reponded so far.

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    By the way, what programs are you managing? Do you accept BHOs into your program?
    I work for the eMerchandise and VIZ Associates Programs. We do not accept Browser Helper Objects and don't have any plans to in the future.

Thanks for the reply

It depends on how closely I work with that merchant and how far behind I am in my work and what sort of products I am looking for at that point of time.
    Exactly right. If I am in the middle of a big project as I am right now, it could be a nuisance. Half the time I never get to opening merchant emails at all. I know they want to be on as many sites as they can and I don't feel all that special about getting a "yea, rah put me on your sites" letter.

Hey, I am already working as hurry as I can go or am willing to go.

On the other hand, if you have any REAL insights, meaning you know who the heck I am and you have even once or twice seen a site or two of mine and have some actual ideas other than "put my coupon up", then, maybe.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

eMerchandise has been parasite-free for a few years, now.

I'd like to see some custom datafeeds. And I haven't seen the weekly email in a long time.

to answer your earlier question, just asking affiliates to put up a whole bunch of links in addition to what they've already got is on the border of being pushy.

I'd also like to see you buy into the affsolutions.com static and dynamic Product ShowCase software. There are many of us who are datafeed-challenged.

Herb,
    I'll bring these issues up with our tech department. We are working on on some of these issues already, and having direct response from our Associate helps move up the time timetable. It would be great if you could e-mail me with your Associate code so I can use it while bring up your suggestions. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf

Hey, I am already working as hurry as I can go or am willing to go.

On the other hand, if you have any REAL insights, meaning you know who the heck I am and you have even once or twice seen a site or two of mine and have some actual ideas other than "put my coupon up", then, maybe.
    lol, reminds me of the time a merchant offered to give "detailed analysis" for improving your sites and how to better use their products, etc....

So I wrote and asked for it (you had to write to get in line) and after about 4 weeks I got a letter that said - get this - put up more banners.

lolol, now that was really detailed and ever so helpful.

I do have another merchant who did offer to help and I have been feeling all guilty here lately because I am too busy working on other things right now to get back with them. (hopefuly they will understand, if not, oh well)
    Ebudae

Cool help for the database-challenged . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by inflatemouse
    Herb,
    I'll bring these issues up with our tech department. We are working on on some of these issues already, and having direct response from our Associate helps move up the time timetable. It would be great if you could e-mail me with your Associate code so I can use it while bring up your suggestions. Thank You
    Carlos:

Since I don't see an email addy on this thread, it won't hurt anything, I think, to mention it here: A8145

when I see what my competition is doing with datafeeds, it makes me sick. I can understand how they get over 8000 orders a year compared to my several hundred at best. That's why I would like to work with the dPSC code and be able to build a multipage autopilot site around the eMerch offerings.

I manage to download their datafeed on a quarterly basis and mangle it into a stack of text links, but would really want to go a little further and do it right.

Regards,
    Herb

Dynamic Prooduct Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Carlos:

Since I don't see an email addy on this thread, it won't hurt anything, I think, to mention it here: A8145

when I see what my competition is doing with datafeeds, it makes me sick. I can understand how they get over 8000 orders a year compared to my several hundred at best. That's why I would like to work with the dPSC code and be able to build a multipage autopilot site around the eMerch offerings.

I manage to download their datafeed on a quarterly basis and mangle it into a stack of text links, but would really want to go a little further and do it right.

Regards,
    Herb

Herb, we actually have built a multi-dimensional product display into our Smartlinks. Check this out:

http://lite.associates.viz.com/smart...4&LAYOUTCD=3x3

You can refine your product set using Interest Groups or by specifying categories or products in the URL. You can set your layout code (LAYOUTCD) for anything up to 10x10 right now.

We're adding the multiple layout user interface to the portal right now, and turning all this stuff on for eMerchandise associates very shortly, and I'll be putting a Smartlink Guide in our portal forums this week.

-Christopher

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    ANY merchant who knows my name, and sends an email with a thought, suggestion, complaint, whatever - gets a response from me.

ANY personal communication between a merchant and an affiliate is good.

I can not recall any personal suggestion from an AM that has not been beneficial to both parties.

Disclaimer: KEY word here is PERSONAL email response, not a form letter. And even though technically they send PERSONAL emails, my response to LS affiliate development reps is Go Away!

>>>for anything up to 10x10 right now.

hehehehehehe guess what I've been doing all afternoon.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread