How Do You Know When the Google Dance Starts?
    How do you know when it starts, and where do you go to check how your sites are doing?

ABW Ambassador
    Google is constantly dancing, everyday.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    How do you know when it starts, and where do you go to check how your sites are doing?
    The Sales Stats at your favorite network (whichever it may be), provided the network updates their interface often and doesn't show robot-generated hits, tell almost all tales...

Provided that your merchants haven't massively changed something about their site, program, or product offerings:

Massive changes in traffic = massive rank change in Google, Yahoo, and/or MSN
    Which program the massive changes are showing up at = which category your ranks changed in
    Direction of stat change = direction of rank change

Your LOG FILES can tell you which engine is sending the traffic (you'll see a bajillion hits from the places that ranked you...no need to count one-by-one. The biggest contributor(s) will usually dominate the raw logs.) And your site stats can tell you what keywords the people are coming in on. Then just look for those keywords in the SEs if you want to know exactly where you rank.

If nobody's coming in on a particular keyword, 99% chance it's because you're not ranked visibly under it, so no need to go looking for dead horses. On the other hand, if you suddenly get great piles of hits showing up in your site stats for a particular keyword, you can figure that you're somewhere in the top 5 or 10 under it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Google is constantly dancing, everyday.
    Yes, I see them hit my logs everyday. What I'd like to know is when are they going to do another major index, to fix the mess they made of things last month.

I hope they don't do anything! As of last week I'm getting traffic & sales out the wazoo again after dropping off a cliff at the beginning of the month. :-)

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I'm with you Tim - I'm starting to finally re-coup some of the traffic I've lost over the last 6-8 months so I hope things continue as it is
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Quote Originally Posted by infospongellc
    I hope they don't do anything! As of last week I'm getting traffic & sales out the wazoo again after dropping off a cliff at the beginning of the month. :-)

- Tim
    Googlebot was on a rampage late last night. Watching closely.

once upon a time we said google was dancing when the results(indexes) on most of their two-dozen-plus servers were different. the SE results would vary greatly from search to search, depending on which server you were using at the time. supposedly data from the deep crawls was added to the master index on a given date, (used to be once a month) and the PRs and other results would smooth out for a few weeks.

but I think it has all changed. and will again.

competition may have made google suddenly brag about having indexed 8 billion pages at about the time MSN Beta was about to be released. before then they (google) were running some new 'bots we hadn't seen before, perhaps putting them to building a new index to merge or use against the old ones. it may be that google was recording sites without stopping to index more than the number of pages on a site, but not recording the major words on a site.

sudden heavy indexing now could mean the experimenting is over and we're going to get a more equitable treatment for our sites in the near future. current rumor is that google will be fixing their index on a quarterly, not monthly schedule. maybe.

we don't need another "Florida" incident where a very old index was allegedly used in the engines to replace one that became suddenly faulty.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread