Smile Is This Strategy Insane?
    I'm guessing this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway since nobody can see me.

Here it goes --

I've read books, read this forum and others, downloaded programs, and I've tried to learn this business. But there are some things (many..excuse me).. many things I just do not get.

For example--

I have a site that has merchants from CJ, Linkshare, and some of the rest.. and I keep reading about how my kind of site is constantly getting ripped off.

So I'm thinking.. uh.. if you have a targeted site, such as.... hot beverages.. coffee/teas etc. (which I don't..this is just an example).. and you are using merchant banners and linking to their sites and trusting your sales will get reported properly (or at least 1/2 of them) then can you rethink that strategy and create a site as if you are the merchant? Not link directly to the merchants, display their images, pricing info., and have visitors purchase through a shopping cart service then turn around and process the sale yourself to the appropriate merchant?

If you did this, wouldn't it pretty much stop the theft of your sales? Is there such an animal as a "product broker".. Is this being done all the time and I just live in a dark cave?? I need some solutions because I know for a fact that I am losing out so any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks so much~ leeann

I don`t know, im new,good question.

What you're talking about is being a reseller vs. being an affiliate. At least some of the affiliate agreements I've read prohibit that. Not to say you couldn't become a reseller, but that's a whole 'nother business with it's own set of headaches.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    There are a bunch of problems. How do you handle a customer who buys from 2 separate merchants at the same time. How do you handle shipping charges since they vary from merchant to merchant. Also what if the product is delayed, now you are stuck in the middle. What if the merchant changed the price of an item and you handle changed it on your site. Lots and lots of problems.

Oh, I see your point, what a horrible strategy! Well is it even worth trying to do link cloaking? It seems that the thieves have advanced past this type of security.
    Thanks again ~ leeann

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Oh, I see your point, what a horrible strategy! Well is it even worth trying to do link cloaking? It seems that the thieves have advanced past this type of security.
    Thanks again ~ leeann

I'm wondering about link cloaking myself.

Anyone have any ideas?

Isn't this pretty much what Catalog City/Shop.com does? All that is really is a sort of aggregating affiliate site, although it's a higher level of sophistication than leeann's suggestion.

I think that ultimately it's more fruitful to find a reliable and honest merchant partner (or a few) who's parasite free and then send them the bulk of your traffic.

As for link cloaking.. well, I don't know. I don't think it will do any harm to try though.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

leeann, "product brokers" have agreements with manufacturers that do drop shipping. It's more complicated than affiliate marketing but it works for some. If you did that, you could start your own affiliate program putting affiliates to work marketing "your" products.

You can do that but it wouldn't stop the parasites from ripping you (and your affiliates) off. It would just put you in the position of the merchant with all the probelms that go with it.

Ray

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread