Virtual Host > Dedicated Host
    When anyone here moved from Virtual hosting to Dedicated did you get a boost in sales/traffic? Also, would it help to move my site to a different server to get better google listings?

Tami

Tami,
    I have not moved to dedicated server but have thought about it and would LOVE To see someone who had comment on it...

Surely someone is using a dedicated server and could comment on the pros and cons..
    maybe? surely?

Been quite a few years since I was on shared. If you are tecnically savvy, have some large sites (or lots of little ones) and can justify the costs and are willing to assume more of the responsibility for your server being secure, then by all means dedicated is the way to go.

Having run some big web sites for other people, I'm very particular about how I want my environment and what software I like to use (i.e. Postgres instead of MySQL, qmail instead of sendmail, cron jobs, customized httpd.conf, special PHP options, stuff like that) and I don't like having my hands tied on what I can and cannot do with my servers.

The downside? You need to know what you're doing and how to keep your server up to date and know what's going on with it, or pay someone else to do that for you.

So, upside = flexibility, control, not having to share load/bandwidth; downside = cost, added responsibility.

- Tim
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I don't think moving to a dedicated server will improve sales, but it does give you a lot more flexibility and control. I wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately there is a lot of overhead and heartache with running a dedicated server. You have to deal with hackers and security issues all the time. Right now my server is offline because it was infected with a trojan. I have my fingers crossed that my host can bring it back online without any problems. Worst case is I'll have to reinstall all my sites on a new server. This might be the 3rd time I'll have to do this. It's a real pain and unless you're comfortable with system administration and unix, I wouldn't recommend a dedicated server. Of course if you're earning enough you can get a managed dedicated server, but those are costly. Upwards of $500/month.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Tim/Scott,
    Thanks for the great input!
    I am no where near the leap from virtual to dedicated but I do keep in the back of my mind. I have always assumed that someday I would go dedicated.. i'm not a techie by no means but I am (A+, CCNA) for whatever that's worth. I do expect I will be able to handle the techie stuff.. heck I have even thought of the idea of hosting at home.. on a T1 ... That may be more headache than its worth.. but who knows.. maybe one day.

Thanks for all your responses, I guess what I was thinking was that there would be this huge difference of speed and that would convert to sales. Alexa rates my site as slow, and in my site logs I get a lot of Failed Referrers. Maybe I just need to shorten my pages?

Tami

You will not get a boost in Google by moving to a faster server, but you can eliminate the possibility of some penalties by using a dedicated IP address. I recommend that to all my clients.

Snib is correct about the additional work with a dedicated server.

The key to creating a site that performs well on most servers is to keep the total page weight down to less than 60,000 bytes. 60,000 bytes translates to approximately a 10 second download and rendering time on a good 56k dial-up connection. In the US, 45% of home users are still on dial-up connections.

The page weight is the total in bytes for all HTML, CSS, JavaScript, images and object that downloads with a page for a first time visitor. It's tough for an e-commerce site to hit this mark, but it is worthwhile to pursue.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread