I have been thinking that I wish it would be against the rules to single out a person to flame them for whatever reason.

For instance, the recent attack on Jada, my goodness she certainly didn't ask for that! She was sharing her thoughts and got flamed.

And the "get rid of Fred" thread.

And the "get rid of Big Chuck" thread. (even though I did participate and I am sorry)

Think how hurtful it must be to find yourself the center of unwanted/unasked for negative attention.

Could everyone, please, if you have a problem, just ignore the person or take it off the board?

If you have something to say that you really feel needs to be addressed, contact Haiko off the board.

It is so easy to jump to conclusions and get out of perspective with things. Sometimes it is just good to be able to step back and take a deep breath.

Remember, it might be you the next time.

Thanks,
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Vicki,

Although I agree that we should take a step back every now and then, I really like the way we all join together to voice our opinions and rally behind the oppressed, that says alot about our family [community]!

Good, bad or indifferent it always seems to work itself out.

Haiko

Any family has its tiffs now and again.
    Trust me the ones who come under attack are well capable of defending themselves. The weak are rarely controversial.

Besides, social pressure is a great tool for teaching manners.

I LOVE ABW just the way it is. And, as Haiko said, it always seems to work itself out.

We *really* need to talk about things openly. Otherwise it'll end up like that t**t running mycoupons.

And where are you going to draw the line? The problem with going round peacenicking the whole time is that it tends to end up like this -

Person A 'You suck'
    Person B 'You suck back'
    Person A 'Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah its not fair its not fair'
    Person C 'Now now A and B lets not have all this nastiness'

And everyone else applauds Person C's sentiment. Because most people aren't that bright when you get down to it, or weren't paying attention. Person A knew they could rely on person C to unknowingly support a hit and run while Person B is left wondering if they shouldn't build a spaceship then nuke the planet from orbit.

For instance, in a mailing list I was on for a couple of years someone mentioned a company they used to work at and said they were 'crooks'. I said 'thats not quite true is it?' and the *whole sodding newsgroup* descended on me like a pack of rats.

What they didn't know, and what I never told them was that the guy who'd said this had stolen a lot of money from this company and gotten himself fired. He'd also ****ed up their website to such an extent the whole thing needed doing again from scratch when their finances *depended* on having that site. The mere mention of his name still has the MD throwing a screaming fit years later. But I was new and he wasn't. What're the chances he'll pull a similar stunt on someone else from that group sometime? Sure as hell won't be my fault if he does.

I'm thinking that me failing to mention this guy is slightly worse than just a liar, wasn't a nice thing to do. But people tend to trust those they know better than they trust newcomers - just because they know them! Not a good enough reason.

It is very hard sometimes to distinguish between general name calling and something a little more specific. I suggest we don't even think about banning people for what they say. Even if it just looks like gratuitous nastiness.

Banning people for what they do is another matter though.

Some people seem incapable of being mean, and thats really nice, but they do need the occasional protection of those who *can* be mean. I would think very very carefully before attempting to impair their functionality. In the short term things will look just fine, but this safety is mostly illusion.

I

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some people seem incapable of being mean, and thats really nice, but they do need the occasional protection of those who *can* be mean. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have some real humdinger protectors here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

And sometimes, us meanies need a little help when tact is required. Like say, for my neighbor who is a sweet old thing but whitters away in my earole for *hours on end*, and I wouldn't mind if she only said things the once!

I

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread