entering my site via ip address?
    Hi,

I've had different hosts for my websites,
    and I remember that I could enter into some of my websites,
    via the IP address and not the domain.

right now, I can't do this via IP (I'm trying to IP i get in the FTP when connecting to the domain) and I'm getting a CPanel screen...

My questions are, What is it called to have the website on a host that you can enter the website directy via IP address, and not just via the regular URL, and does it have any weight on Search Engine Rankings???

thanks!

Affiliate Manager
    Not really sure what you mean by how is it called, but i think this is what you mean.

When it comes to web hosting you have 2 main types: shared and dedicated hosting. Shared means all the hosting accounts are on a single ip address and dedicated means that you get a dedicated ip address for your hosting account.
    About the accessing problems, if you are on a shared hosting plan you can access your site via any browser with "the ip address" like this: http://sharedIP/~yourusername.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by darkstorm
    About the accessing problems, if you are on a shared hosting plan you can access your site via any browser with "the ip address" like this: http://sharedIP/~yourusername.
    I've found that's only true for a temporary time at many hosting companies.. Usually they let you do that until the hosting company feels the DNS has ample time to be populated.. Say, 3 - 7 days..

This is because if you access your site under www.mysite.com/~yourlogin the bandwidth usage goes against the mysite.com account whereas www.yourdomain.com counts agains your account..

From what I'm understanding you are trying to FTP in.. You should be able to just ftp to the ip address and then your username should redirect you to the proper home directory..

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread