Internet Cowboy
    Navigation bars
    I have played with this task, but have not figured it out yet and I hope someone here can help.

I have done a site with Webmerge and it is great. What I need to be able to do is put some navigation links down one side of the page, or across the bottom.

Say on my Industrial Widgets page, I want links to the other categories: Home Widgets, Musical Widgets etc down the left side of the page.

I have tried creating an IndexLabel but it either throws the page all out of whack or it does not display.

Can someone please share with me how to do this?

Thanks

also........
    Has anyone had any experience embedding WM tags in php scripts?

Say on my Industrial Widgets page, I want links to the other categories: Home Widgets, Musical Widgets etc down the left side of the page.
    The way I have done it before is, I put the navigation links on the templates first, before I make all the pages and then do a test run. (20 or 50 or 100 pages only)

If all the navigation links work, then I run the entire feed.

Sal.

I put the navigation links on the templates first,
    If you do that, why not put an include on the template where you want the links instead? That way if you want to add to or change the navigation later, you can just change one file to do it across the site.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

If you do that, why not put an include on the template where you want the links instead? That way if you want to add to or change the navigation later, you can just change one file to do it across the site.
    I do use some include on the templates, but not for the navigation links.

The the navigation links on the pages I make with WM, are only related to the specific directory of the feed I use on that directory, so they won't change. Sometimes I leave an empty cell with a blank incude on the templates, just in case I need it for something later.

Sal.

Internet Cowboy
    If I use an include, is that basically making a template of any navigational links and inserting the html file into the existing page?
    Making this would require an additional run to set up the links and link them properly to the category or subcategory pages....right?

If I use an include, is that basically making a template of any navigational links and inserting the html file into the existing page?
    If you use an include for the navigational links, you better make sure you know about the Absolute vs. relative links, so you don't wind up with broken links.

Making this would require an additional run to set up the links and link them properly to the category or subcategory pages....right?
    Not necessarily. Everyone have a way to do some things diferent.
    If I want to have a Widgets Directory with only links to the Widgets Categories, this is what I do.

On my Index template and on my Products details template, I put this links where I want to have the Widgets navigation links listed.

==============
    Home
    Site Map

Widgets Directory
    Musical Widgets
    Electric Widgets
    Blue Widgets
    Red Widgets
    Green Widgets
    ==============

Now when I run WebMerge once, I will have an index page and as many product pages I get from the feed, with all the Widgets Directory links included in every page.

I only need to check the index page and only one product page, to see if the links are ok.

If you want to do it the other way and use an include like <!--#include virtual="dir/navigation.txt" --> for your entire site, then make sure to know how the Absolute vs. relative links work.

You can check out this site I just pick up from Google: http://www.brown.edu/webmaster/webpublishing/urls.html if you don't know about how the Absolute vs. relative links work.

Sal.

Internet Cowboy
    Thanks Sal,
    I am up on relative and absolute links.
    I just need to figure out how to best do this so it will be included in my updates and free of errors.
    You have given me some good insight.
    Thanks
    Scott

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread