More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    About.com About as Annoying As Can Be
    Everytime I go to an about.com site, their little drop-down bar is constantly bee-bopping down over the text. Does anybody else find this annoying? I deliberately avoid their site if possible.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

sign up for their emails you wont have to go to the site as much. Their small business lessons emails even though they are based for Canadians is the best stuff I have read online. I am an about.com junkie why very simple its a content site!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I guess the drop down bar just gets on my nerves, especially those you can't close. I just tried their site again and the drop down was not there - Either they read this forum or they have this set up not to act on the second visit.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I HATE that stupid bar of theirs, too! I also try to avoid them. Not only do they have the very-annoying-bar, but there seems to be no frequency capping on their popups/unders.

I am an about.com junkie why very simple its a content site!~NY Falcon
    Fortunately, they're not the ONLY content site on the net!

But it's glad to know that I could add more annoyances to my c*ntent sites and still get at least one visitor
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

If we could make that floating bar and put adsnse on it we would all be rich lol

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah, 'cause the people would be so desperate to get away from it that they'd click, LOL!

A quick Google check shows that it's a DHTML/JavaScript trick. You can buy a software that'll do it for $29.95 (per site) or just hound-out how they did it from some script site... So it really wouldn't be too hard to get the people clicking away in desperation, hee hee!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I agree its too much of an annoying thing scrolling with the page. Everytime I visit about.com I try to find a way to get rid of it but till now no success. I dont know why such an informative site with good contents have to do such a thing. I have read few articles there, advising webmasters on dos and donts of web designing. i wonder nobody has told them to stop that annoying thing.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread