Internet Cowboy
    Affiliates vs Parasites: Strength in Numbers!
    I was curious to see what kind of information is posted on various web sites about parasitic programs. I did some searching this morning and was floored at what I found.
    Do not worry about spyware or adware. This contains 180 Search Assistant. It Displays pop-ups. As long as you got a pop-up blocker you're okay. Plus do not worry about stolen privacy 180 Search Assistant doesn't steal any information. It is completely harmless.

From the Ebates Moe Money Maker publisher:
    'Get cash savings every time you shop online at Dell, Barnes and Noble, WalMart, Gap.com, and 400 other top stores. This free shopping companion download will increase your savings and make sure you get up to 25 percent cash back, plus exclusive coupons. Moe Money Maker will only alert you when there are cash savings at a store you are visiting. It runs in the background until you access any of the stores on the Ebates network. A pop-up will let you know how much cash you will save at any store. Ebates will add up all your savings and send you a check every three months.'

Register today, if you haven't already, at iGive.com -- a totally safe and secure online shopping mall that donates up to 25% of every purchase to xxxx at no extra cost to you, each time you shop.
    Someone without knowledge of the basics (and there are millions out there) could be tricked in to thinking that these apps are not only acceptable, but good.

Let's see...there are a handful of parasites and there are thousands of registered members of ABW.

Each of the quotes above came from the first page of Google when I did a search for the name of the app or program.

If every ABW member put up a page with a link to Microsoft's Adware Removal Tool, and also posted what Microsoft has to say about each app, certainly some of these pages would make it high in the SERPS.

If we could get Haiko or Kellie or Ben or someone who maintains an infected computer to post the actual descriptions of these from Microsoft, and we each quoted them on our page, I think that would be a strong message against them.

It will take 20 minutes and if enough of us do it, it will make a difference, so this is a call to action.

If someone would please post the MS descriptions here, I will get my page up ASAP.

Scott

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Scott,

I just 'love' (not) the way many of the parasites plaster their site with messages of how they aren't spyware. Of course in most consumers minds spyware and adware are the same thing, so there is definitely is much room for confusion for the poor consumer.

As far as M$ goes, M$ doesn't flag all of the ones you use in your examples. I'm far from convinced they will stick to not labeling our cookies once the final version comes out. There certainly is a call by some folks who are using the BETA version to have them flagged.

I do intend to have information available to affs though of which parasites are detected by which removal apps. Way back I posted asking folks which removal apps they would like tested and got a disappointing response. So if there are certain removal apps you would like to know what they are detecting, let me know. You'll also have information about which ones are detecting your tracking cookies (thanks cditty for that script!)

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Let's see...there are a handful of parasites and there are thousands of registered members of ABW.
    and if enough of us do it, it will make a difference, so this is a call to action.
    Scott,

I think you are on the right path with the right idea. Perhaps you saw a website we will all share by coincidence, your title Affiliates vs Parasites: Strength in Numbers! is a sort of a clue.

The site will be posted soon on my forum, but If you or anyone else that is opposed to parasiteware would like to take preview send me a PM.

Jorge

ABW Ambassador
    Do not worry about spyware or adware. This contains 180 Search Assistant. It Displays pop-ups. As long as you got a pop-up blocker you're okay. Plus do not worry about stolen privacy 180 Search Assistant doesn't steal any information. It is completely harmless.
    Actually, the Zango Search Assistant (180, Metrics Direct), will still popup
    even with popup blockers. I've tested this, and I still get their popups even
    with popup blockers. This is because it is a separate program running on
    our computer, and not part of the site.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    removing infested systems is getting to be a lot harder then Ms.B's job of identifying the bad actor perps and OUTing them to clients. Spend 6 hours today using every trick in my bag to recover a broadband cable modem connection for a ecommerce client who couldn't even get to e-mails and online orders and UPS shipping since last Friday.

WinXP updates blocked, TrendMicro's "Housecall" scans 800+ occurances of viruses and then goes blank. Norton Internet Security suite blocked from scanning or updates. Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot won't update due to lack of connection and Spy-bot and ZoneAlarm won't even run from desktop. Microsoft Anti-Spyware runs, but the Adwhore perps are tied at the butthole with trojan horse backdoor viruses upon reboot. Meanwhile in normal mode POPUPS are flying at you from all directions like clockwork every 30 seconds.

Basically it became a chore under SAFE MODE to remove programs, whack all temp files and hidden directories, whack the Win XP winsock, while piece meal installing & running basic non-updated Norton anti-Virus. Then running the Detect removal tools in Safe Mode. Summary: You have to cauterize everyone of the Adwhores orfaces and use msconfig to play Russian roulet with the startup files. One mistake and no internet comnnection and the bundled viruses guarantee re-infestation of crapware like the EliteBar program.

What a wonder it was to finally see an updated Norton taking alternate turns of detect/delete steps on viruses, while running MicroSoft -AntiSpyware scans and see it throw alerts showing it's firewall is blocking re-infestation attempts. I can hear the Adwhores and their virus writers screaming foul in the background as their friggin roots get pulled. Once it was over even Firefox was able for the first time to load....LOL.

Added sideline was once the barriers were breached I see for the first time nCase -eBates, e2Give and iGive rear their ugly heads from the drive-by and hidden bundle cesspool as they snuck in the backdoor. The exorcism is over and as a celebration I'm considering sending a loaded Musical greeting card from Stephen Messer and Todd to every AM and merchant, who I recognized during the 6 hours of popup bombardments.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

In my mind threal perpetraters and enablers of all these parasites is the Networks. All they have to do is be honest and ethical and kick them out. Whilst the Networks are run/owned by people who do not give two hoots about honesty and ethics or to be more blunt, they find it easier and far more profitable to allow the parasites to continue stealing, the parasites will thrive.

It needs a good honest Lawyer (all right I know there are none) but this is the only way we will get rid of the thieving scumbags.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Gordo you need to quickly read my posts, before they get removed, to see whre the networks are vulnerable and losing the PR spin game. I side with the consumers who have all the power in the world to bring even the lofty networks and their puppet masters to their knees. Hang in there Gordo and watch the battles in 2005 from a safe hilltop.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    In my mind threal perpetraters and enablers of all these parasites is the Networks. All they have to do is be honest and ethical and kick them out.
    Any network manager who continues to honor parasite accounts has in effect chosen to destroy the value of their affiliate program.

Is there a blacklist somewhere of these companies who assist this unscrupulous activity?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

watch the battles in 2005 from a safe hilltop.
    Or better yet;

Fight the battles in 2005 from your websites and everywhere else.

No Surrender, No Retreat!

Sal.

If every ABW member put up a page with a link to Microsoft's Adware Removal Tool, and also posted what Microsoft has to say about each app, certainly some of these pages would make it high in the SERPS.
    Good idea - I think a few of us do have pages like that. I know I do.
    But the more, the better.
    Ebudae

I've got a lot of pages advertising Microsofts Antispyware tool but I'm thinking that idea of Ebudae's is a good one. I want to make a page or two with the Microsoft descriptions of the various spywares. Does anybody know where they can be found please?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

I took what I knew and info from various sites to write my own descriptions but here is a good start from Microsoft with various articles:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    Ebudae

here a page from microsoft where you can put your comment/suggestion/feedback

http://register.microsoft.com/contac...ecurity/athome

Good idea of making a whole page full of SEO keywords for all user to find.

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

I was thinking about copying the blurb that comes up when you run the microsoft program and it tell you what parasites it has found but I keep forgeting to copy it until I go to the next step then it is too late they are deleted. I sometimes pick up that V2 thing (I think its taht one) from somewhere no idea where though

I don't fancy putting them all back on deliberately just to get at the blurb again :-) If anyone comes across any of the blurbs it might be a good idea to post them here in a seperate thread for people to copy and use.

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Windows XP ("Xtra Poison")

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    removing infested systems is getting to be a lot harder then Ms.B's job of identifying the bad actor perps and OUTing them to clients. Spend 6 hours today using every trick in my bag . . .
    Hi, EcomCity,

At my former database job at a health/nutrition website we used to call Windows XP "Xtra Poison". It is truly a montorous kludge with a GUI seemingly designed by former kindergarten teachers with an expensive bloatware WYSIWYG.

Concerning all the CRIMINALWARE you had to remove, wouldn't it just be easier to take a custom DOS boot disk with deltree.exe on it and DELTREE Windows XP ("Xtra Poison), unhide all your root files, and run DEL C:\*.*? Then fill the "empty sectors" with zeroes to cover up all that leftover junk, reload XP ("Xtra Poison") and let that bloated operating system find and reregister all the registry settings for all the old program files?

Just curious.

I've never owned Windows XP ("Xtra Poison") nor had to trouble-shoot Windows XP ("Xtra Poison"). Although I've been forced to use it when nothing else was temporarily available, I think it is truly a piece of bloated junkware, IMHO.

Personally, I think people who want to stick with the mainstream should ditch XP ("Xtra Poison") and use Windows 2000, Windows NT 4 or Windows 98SE.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    Unless that post was just to work the Xtra poison joke in 30 times, I could not disagree with it more. Okay, and even then.

LOL... my 2 personal systems have Win98SE and Win2000 on them. I have to work with Xtra Poison when folks call me with the Blue Screen of Death or the B-a-HOs are having a cat fight over who gets to call home on the one phone or shove popups into shoppers faces.

ABW Ambassador
    Oddly enough, Bhos, attach to the Browser and are compatible with other windows versions. So mike, seeing lots of blue screen of death for XP???

Great post! I am glad more of you are starting to think of ways to fight parasites and adware. I have a page just dedicated to consumer information and Haiko has seen it .Sorry but do to rules I cannot post the url. The only way to stop all this is to advise the consumers of who and what sites advocate parasites. This includes networks ,merchants and sites like ebates. If we all worked on this and got some press help things might happen. AFFILIATES WAGE WAR ON ADWARE,PARASITES AND SCUMWARE! Right now I am working on a page that will list those merchants that offer affilate programs and are also listed on ebates. You would be surprized at the merchants that post here and are also listed on ebates. We need someone to compose a page that we can copy and post on our sites. I'am not very good at writing good copy.

ABW Ambassador
    I put a link to MSN's spyware cleaning tool on my privacy page. Under popups. Informing the visitor that I do not serve pop ups and if they do get pop ups on my site, they probably have some ad ware on their PCs.

I too have spyware/pop-up info on my privacy pages with links pointing to eradicating programs. I'd be interested in putting up a good general information page also.
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

I have a site about it
    I have a site about computer security where I promote anti-virus and anti-spyware software. I try to explain the risks and the thievery in very simple terms that I hope the average consumer might understand.

I kept the whole discussion in generic terms without naming names, because I was afraid of being attacked and sued for libel by the big companies with plenty of money. I link out to other sites that disclose names of spies and parasites in news stories, but I don't mention them in my copy.

What do ABW members think? If I get ranked well and generate some traffic, what's the risk of attack if I tell who these guys are?

Let's put on the reality caps folks. Adwhore/Spyware Exploits breaching the security of something so vital to the free flow of human information as the Internet browsers, hosting servers and computer operating systems ....GETS FULL FEDERAL AUTHORITY ATTENTION.

Only enity we can team up with to curb these exploits, thereby protecting our commission playing field, is Microsoft's CEO. He has a lot more at stake then we do. He can't be bought by the likes of the DMA or IAB and the FEDs respect his tax returns even if he's a non-political careful to not align himself with the Liberals or Neo-Cons. He respects consumer opinions as he knows they (those opinions) determine his (Microsoft's) future prospects of growth.

Let's bet it all that $$$ Bill Gates wants the BHO's muzzled or euthenized as he doesn't earn a dime and occurs nothing but expenses due to their activities. Every affiliate not using a Windows/Browser exploit needs to now put up content lauding Microsoft's Anti-SpyWare/Adware efforts. Ever see a Microsoft paid Ad in one of those BHO billions of Adwhore popups??? I expect Bill Gates has told his employee minions to hang up on every Adwhore pitch going through any Microsoft switchboard after the scare he got from the "Smart Tags' consumer backlash.

It's deju vu all over again as I can recall the Gates arguements when he decided not to place all his eggs into dealing with the computer industries controlling force in the early 80's.....IBM. He opted to preserve the rights to DOS by splitting it into a Pc-Dos and MS-Dos camp and let the consumer and whole industry drive the needed changes and upgrade requests. LOL...as He sees IBM sell out to the Chinese, which whack his revenues by the billions with counterfeiters freely operating in their exploitation "clone anything" culture.

Put up my banner (download it please) and point it to the Microsoft-Beta ...it can only help. Don't expect any kudos from the Adwhore industry!!!

Here are a couple of merchants who use ebates. Backcountry,Bare Necessities,shoebuy and catalogs.com

Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    Here are a couple of merchants who use ebates. Backcountry,Bare Necessities,shoebuy and catalogs.com
    I know this is an old post....
    but the catalogs.com part is total BS
    they do not or ever did use anything even related to spyware.. im thinkin you are thinking shopathome

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread