Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Internet Cowboy
    Settings file will not save
    My settings files will save fine, except for the part where it tells the script that the first row contains column headers. I set it all up, save it. Move on to another file, then when I open the previous one, it is not set to "First line of file contains field names". It shoes Field 001, Field 002 etc. I can set it again, save it, move on to another settings file and when I get back, the same thing.
    This is what was causing my problem on my last post. I removed WM and re-installed it and that worked, until today.
    Help!

Thanks

Affiliate Manager
    Check out this test build of v2.4.1:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...W_WebMerge.exe

This is the application only -- just put it in your WebMerge program folder and double-click to run.

Please report back to me on how this works for you so I can put together a full release.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Internet Cowboy
    That did it.
    Thanks!

Internet Cowboy
    But that killed my IF statements :-(

Affiliate Manager
    No changes were made to IF handling between v2.4 and v2.4.1. The only change was to the order in which file info is written. I would recommend saving the file first in the new version, then try running it again. It may be that something in the settings is affecting the processing of the template.
    Richard Gaskin

Internet Cowboy
    I tried opening the tag maker. When I click on Tools, it says No Tools Installed

Affiliate Manager
    Did you put the application into your existing 4W WebMerge program folder where the older one is?
    Richard Gaskin

Internet Cowboy
    Yes I did. I did not delete the other on though. SHould I have?

Affiliate Manager
    By "it" do you mean the IF issue or the Tools issue or both?
    I would keep the old one handy for at least another couple days while I finish testing v2.4.1. Although all bug reports with IF statements were addressed during the three-month testing cycle, if any remain I want to make sure they're addressed in this update.
    Richard Gaskin

Internet Cowboy
    I have no tools and my IF statements are not working after replacing the file you sent me to.
    I have removed the older version from my FW Webmerge folder within my program files directory but I still have it.
    When I click on Tools it says, in shadow print "No tools installed"

Affiliate Manager
    I'm unable to reproduce that. When I put the new build in the same folder as the old one the Tools menu appears to be working fine.

The only change in v2.4.1 has been the addition of a new WM-Date tag (to be documented later) and changing the order in which files are saved to handle an issue outstanding since v2.0. No other changes have been made to any other part of the program.
    Richard Gaskin

Internet Cowboy
    Well, I don't know what to tell you. I am not lying to you nor am I an idiot.
    It appears that I have a choice between being able to save file properly or have functions work properly.
    WTF?

Affiliate Manager
    I didn't mean to suggest that you were. What we need to do now is to identify what's different between my setup and yours.
    Please email me with your phone number and I'll be happy to walk through some diagnostics with you.
    Richard Gaskin

Internet Cowboy
    PM sent

Hi there,

I just recently puchased the full version and wanted to report that I am having the same problem. It's pretty annoying to work with the program when the setting files don't save properly. I am going to try the suggestion mentioned above and see if that clears things up. Thanks very much.

- Jim

Hi again,

Ok, I used the file attached in the second post above and the settings are now saved. I don't know about the "If" parameters though as I am not using them yet.

There does definitely seem to be a problem initially with the settings though. This is what I did for future reference.

1. Downloaded and installed the free trial version from this website.
    2. Installed it on a P4 Windows XP sp2 system.
    3. Using the test version I was never able to get the Source settings to save.
    4. Purchased the full version and entered my license info.
    5. Still was not able to get the Source settings to save.
    6. Deleted the .exe file and replaced it with the one above.

Now the source settings save, but I have not checked other aspects of the program yet. So far so good though.

By the way, how are updates released or how can we get them?

Thanks very much,

Jim

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by ricoche
    I am going to try the suggestion mentioned above and see if that clears things up.
    Please do. As salways, reporting issues via email remains the fastest way to handle them.

We have a great many hundreds of users not reporting this problem, and no such problems were reported by any of the testersd during the three-month public testing period. So I'm confident we can either determine what's different between your setup and theirs, or at very least make a quick change to the engine to accomodate the issue for you.

Please see the sticky thread title "THE MOST IMPORTANT THREAD ABOUT WEBMERGE SUPPORT EVER" for details on getting the fastest support possible.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Ok, I used the file attached in the second post above and the settings are now saved. I don't know about the "If" parameters though as I am not using them yet.
    No changes have been made to the IF code between v2.4 and v2.4.1, so I suspect the problem reported there has a different cause. I have not recieved a copy of the source, templates, and settings file as request in this forum and on my Support page, so it isn't possible for me to address that specific occurrence at this time. Fortunately none of the other few thousand users are reporting an issue with IF statements, so I suspect this may be specific to the reporter's system. If the reporter will kindly send the requested files I'll be in a position to know more.

There does definitely seem to be a problem initially with the settings though. This is what I did for future reference.

1. Downloaded and installed the free trial version from this website.
    2. Installed it on a P4 Windows XP sp2 system.
    3. Using the test version I was never able to get the Source settings to save.
    4. Purchased the full version and entered my license info.
    5. Still was not able to get the Source settings to save.
    6. Deleted the .exe file and replaced it with the one above.

Now the source settings save, but I have not checked other aspects of the program yet. So far so good though.
    I appreciate the feedback. It's actually simpler: open the new version, save the old file. That's it. It makes no difference whether the program is registered or not, only that it has been saved in the latest version.

When I get back from New Zealand (I'm here doing a custom installation for a customer) I'll revise v2.4.1 to also modify the way it reads settings files now that the change to the method of saving has been verified. This new change will allow complete backward compatibility for all customers, resolving this issue which had survived testing. That build of v2.4.1 will replace the v2.4 currently on our Download page.

By the way, how are updates released or how can we get them?
    The latest versions are generally available on our Download page. Any versions suitable for public testing will appear below the current release version.

In v2.4 and later, you can also use the InfoCenter to check for updates right from within the program -- see Help->InfoCenter
    Richard Gaskin

Hi there,

The settings are still not saving for me. After using the program several times this week I have found that I have had to redo my settings each time. In fact I have used a program called snagit to create screenshots of my settings and print them out. That way I can just copy them in each time I open the program. It takes about five additional minutes to re-enter everything which isn't too bad I suppose.

With my long term computer experience, I would definitely say this could be a computer problem on my end or a problem with Webmerge. Regardless of testing, these things can and still do happen. It's impossible for developers to test with all scenerios, so the problem could be anything at this point regardless if the statistics show I am the only one with this problem. <grin> I hate it when that happens. <LOL>

I also have read the FAQ extensively.

I will gather and send my info shortly and you can take a look to see if anything might catch your eye. For now though, the settings save feature definitely does not work on my Windows XP sp2 computer using the current version of Webmerge.

Thank you.

Jim

Affiliate Manager
    Hey Jim -

I appreciate your help pinning this down. Once I can find the magic combination of factors that will let me reproduce it here I should be able to fix it in short order.

FWIW, I found that files saved with v2.4 exhibited the same issue until saved in v2.4.1, after which they work fine.

Once I review your info I post a new build of v2.4.1 that should correct all such cases with no re-saving required (as folks here know, I'm failry obsessive about backward compatibility).
    Richard Gaskin

Also having the same issue with settings not being saved. Any updates?

I sent a zipped file with support files but have no heard to date.

Affiliate Manager
    I've tried, but I've not been able to reproduce instances of data not saving. They key now is to try to determine the differences between my setup and yours.

Given the number of customers saving on XP without issue I'm confident we can get you running as well as them.

Does the account you're using on your computer grant you sufficient privileges for the directory you're saving to? If you're not currently logged in as an administrator, do you have an administrator account you could log in with to test that?

WebMerge shouldn't normally require administrator priveleges, but if logging in as an admin makes the difference then at least we know its related to that.

If that doesn't do it we'll have to dig deeper. Did your email not which model of computer you have, and which version of the OS is currently installed?

It might also be helpful to know how much RAM is installed on that machine.

Thanks in advance -
    Richard Gaskin

Thank you for the reply.
    Webmerge is a great product.
    Now, for your questions.

Yes, I'm logged in under the admin account, full rights.
    I have the previous version 2.3 and upgraded to 2.4. I uniinstalled 2.3, ran a reg cleaner and then installed 2.4.

here is the info i sent -minus the reg code.

======= info =============
    # WebMerge version - 2.4
    # Operating system version - WIN2k server
    # Make and model of computer - generic pc. PIII 750 mhz.
    # Total amount of RAM installed -512 mb
    # A complete description of the problem - After creating settings file, the options selected are not saved, i.e., under sources, the input type not saved nor options for importing database file. Also, adding to favorites are not saved as well.

====== aditional info =================================
    Operating system information
    Platform: Windows 2000
    Version: 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4
    Version of common control components: 5.81.4916
    RAM: 512 MB
    Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 (733 MHz)

Thank you

Affiliate Manager
    I don't have a machine here with Windows 2000 installed, so if there's an issue specific to that OS I may not be able to reproduce it here.

I have verified saving using fresh installs downloaded from our web site, on two different machines. Same good result on both.

When you save your file (you are using File->Save, yes? Your message didn't specify) does the modifictation date of the file change?

Are there any warnings or error messages from WebMerge or the OS while saving?

Are you saving on C: or another drive? If another drive, could you try saving to C: to see if that makes a difference?

Also, what is the full path to the file? Does saving under a short file name help?

Thanks in advance for this info -- I'm confident we can pin this down with a little more info.
    Richard Gaskin

Hello,

I created a new .4ww file on the c:\ drive with no spaces in the file path and then saved -noting the modified time under windows. The settings "options for importing..." did not save. I then opened the .4ww file using webmerge and made edits (i.e., adding options for import, generate file based upon fieldname, etc). I then saved the save and noted the modified time under windows, it did no change.

Here is the .4ww file contents.
    WebMerge Settings
    ©2001-2003 Fourth World Media Corporation. All rights reserved worldwide.
    File version 2.3
    --END WEBMERGE SETTINGS HEADER--
    DetailTemplateField=sitename
    IndexTargetFolder=../
    DetailTemplateMode=new
    IndexCreateNewMax=100
    DetailTargetFolder=../
    SortRecordsField=month
    AutoRun=false
    AutoQuit=false
    SortRecordsOrder=ascending
    DetailFileNameField=sitename