What to look for in an Affiliate Manager?
    Hello everyone,

I am new here and have so far found everyone to be extremely helpful; thank you – I really enjoy learning from all of you!!

We are currently setting up an affiliate program and are actively trying to find the best affiliate managers and also learn what they want. We are trying to learn what it takes for an affiliate manager not only to be successful but also satisfied with their work.

So the two questions I have are:

1.) How do we go about finding the best affiliate managers? What traits do we look for, how do we know they are the best?

2.) What is it that you affiliate manager need?

Talk Soon,
    Ron
    rslavick@allmera.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    An unlimited expense account when they wine and dine me. Short of that, one who wears a sales managers cap and leads with the merchant's truthful conversion ratio.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

If you come out to the west coast or Vegas drop me a line, we'll have to spend a couple hundred bucks at dinner and brainstorm over some of this stuff. :-)

Ron it would be cheaper to converse with the experts, who digested the successful rules of engagement, proven to work for all at ABW. Namely Andy Rodreguez, Chris (Mondera) , Akiva and the Original Shawn at Overstock. Just search though the older Tigerdirect and Overstock forums when they first started to grasp that you only have to recruite a loyal affiliate once, when they get a steady monthly commission check. Most of the AM's spend their wheels re-recruiting when they venture from the narrow beaten path. SERP & e-mail spammers, Duper affiliates and the "incenters" never have to be recruited as they shove themselves to the front of the line in a program that's proven to convert.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Hi Ron,

Welcome to ABW....most good AM's are in ABW or lurk here...

You will find some affiliate managers that ask the same questions of merchants, what is a great merchant to work for and run their program. Many merchants stick their heads in the sand and don't listen to the "great affiliate managers"

I'm always open for a free consultation, good luck in your search...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Yep.... that Andy!

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    One that contacts me.... not the reverse.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Thumbs up What good Affiliate Managers want
    Hi there,

I'm so glad you've asked this question!

The number one thing an Affiliate Manager wants and needs (in my experience) is serious support from its own superiors/higher management, in fulfilling the needs of the program's Affiliates for success.

Take your program seriously. That means required funds and the resources necessary to do a thorough job in both managing and GROWING the program.

From what I've seen during my time in the game thus far, many Affiliate Managers might support the Affiliates' efforts in full, but don't always get the support they need from higher mgmt., in order to bring the program to its full potential.

Simply put, there are a lot of businesses out there that aren't interested in actually leveraging the true power of the Affiliate channel, though they may have an Affiliate program. Often times, they're interested in having folks promote their site, but not interested in providing those folks with the tools and knowledge they need in order to best meet success as the merchant's partner.

Give your Affiliate Manager the support he/she needs to bring your program to success, and give them the resources they need to treat Affiliates like partners to your business. Help create a 'team' environment within your program where communication is both welcome and responded to in a timely manner, and you'll find a more well-rounded, more successful program overall.

Liz,

Thank you for your feedback... I too think that is very important and I am amazed that you don’t see the support given as often as you should.

Please keep in touch I would love to pick your brain a bit more for advice.

Talk Soon,
    Ron

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile Support
    Hi again,

Actually, I'm one of the lucky ones - I get great support here at Rugman.com and I'm proud to say that's part of what makes for such a winning program.

If more business owners actually believed in the real value of their Affiliate partnerships, a lot more of them might see success in that channel.

Get in touch anytime. I'm happy to answer any questions that I can.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread