More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Angry The Latest on Google AutoLink
    Go to http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=41104

Are we going to have to open a forum for google in the parasiteware section?

Pretty scary! But then again it won't affect me much now - google no longer sends me any traffic now anyway.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Problem is... I don't think you have to be getting traffic from Google to be worried. I believe it's the presence of the Google toolbar that does it, and there's a bucketload of machines out there with that toolbar installed these days.

Oddly, I've installed it on a number of my users' machines because it has been such a 'harmless' 'non-invasive' tool..... until now.

Yes ulteriormotif you are correct. I just loaded the new beta version toolbar and gave it a try. It seems a bit clunky to use IMHO but if it caught on it would really hit book affiliate sites big time since it would bypass their affiliate link. This should really make amazon happy since they get the sale with no commission.

It seems while we are all so concerned about MS, the google/amazon giant was planning their own monkey business.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    So we fight back and remove all our AdSense ads. That ought to get somebody's attention.

I just saw a pretty interesting ad appear on one of my AdSense banners:

Install Google Toolbar - toolbar.google.com
    Search instantly with Google from any site. Free pop-up blocker.

I wonder how much this pays per click?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib

I wonder how much this pays per click?
    $0.00!

https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms

Section 11: "Google shall not be liable for any payment based on...(d) Google advertisements for its own products and/or services;" (Instances a, b, and c omitted)

Ads for this rot show for free!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

This situation just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Last week I found this article and a neat bit of Javascript to automatically
    delete and Google autolinks

http://www.searchguild.com/autoblink/

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Are we going to have to open a forum for google in the parasiteware section?
    It sure is beginning to look that way . . .

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Screen Shot

If an ISBN is detected, the autolink displays "Show Book Info". When the autolink button is pressed, the ISBN's become hotlinked directly to amazon as shown above. Goodbye sale.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Simple case of Amazon paying Google to hijack traffic using all their competitors achilles heal...the ISBN # in all booksale databases..
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Okay, I've dumped the few remaining Amazon links on my sites.

Now I want to ban Amazon's sniffer from them. Can someone tell me what the ID for that is?

Google as a thieving BHO? Whodathunkit.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talking
    Someone, during the IPO wealth boom for Google execs, pushed a Adwhore into the boardroom. Google that ....you stupid bot.

....Ignor all the tripe above oh lovely Google Goddess...
    Last edited by ecomcity; March 9th, 2005 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typos and forgiveness
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    The ISBN's only become hotlinked if we do not have them linked ourselves. I have
    just removed all of the ISBN's from my site, so they won't have any to hotlink.

....Ignor all the tripe above oh lovely Google Goddess...
    LOL

But yet that's a sick reminder of how much power Google still has...

Personally I hope MSN Search does a good job of competing with them--at least until MSN does something foul too, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Simple case of Amazon paying Google to hijack traffic using all their competitors achilles heal...the ISBN # in all booksale databases..
    Is this a fact or is just a wild assumption? According to the Time Magazine article:
    Google says it is not receiving any revenue for sending people to Amazon and Carfax. What's more, since users have to click the AutoLink button on the toolbar each time they want to activate the new links, "it is a user-elected feature," says Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer Web products. Mayer says the company plans to give users more say. The map feature allows people to select Yahoo or MapQuest, though Google Maps is the default setting.
    Not that I agree with the AutoLink feature. Just want to know if this is a fact.

And if Google is giving people a choice between Google, Yahoo and MapQuest for maps, why aren't they being fair and giving people a choice of their favorite bookstore, Barnes & Noble, Powell's, Books-A-Million ...

What worries me is that Barnes & Noble spent the time and money to add links. That must mean they're worried that it won't go away or else wouldn't they have invested in suing Google to stop them from using the AutoLink feature?
    Consider Barnes&Noble.com, for example. The online bookseller -- a Google advertiser -- recently added millions of links to every published ISBN number listed on its site. Otherwise, it would continue unintentionally pointing its Toolbar-using customers to Amazon.com. Other sites, meanwhile, like Powell’s Books, have yet to change their content and still may be leaking traffic for Google Toolbar users.

That must mean they're worried that it won't go away or else wouldn't they have invested in suing Google to stop them from using the AutoLink feature?
    I think it's just a money/ROI consideration on their part. It's not that hard to linkify something like ISBNs in a dynamic site like theirs must be--just a change of a couple of lines of code. Compare paying an employee for $10~$20 worth, or even $100 worth (if the person way overcharges) of time to change those lines, to the millions of dollars corporate lawsuits are, and it's not so surprising that the courts aren't their first line of action.

That said, I think someone may sue Google just on principle--or if they find that the interference is more than they can easily outcode.

Google is making Microsoft look cuddley! If MSN is smart they will take full advantage of this new switch of good guy - bad guy!

Does MSN have search boxes for webmasters? I could not find any. The only replacement for the google search box I found was Altavista.

Come on Microsoft, google needs to be taken down a few pegs!

Tami

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    If you want to replace a Google search box with a Yahoo Search box for your site go here: Yahoo Search Box
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I think someone may sue Google just on principle
    Exactly!! If G gets away with this one, you never know what new features can be added to it. e.g. tomorrow G comes and says where ever there is a "Plasma TV" on the net not hyperlinked, it will be autolinked and visitor will be sent to Bizrate to compare prices on Plasma TV. This is just an example it could be anything.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Outsourced Program Manager Allen - AMWSO's Avatar
    Another article about Google's autolink

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20050310.html
    [SIZE=1][B]Allen Miller. Affiliate Manager, EZvacuum.com / UnitedShades.com[/B]
    [/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up Yahoo Search Box

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    If you want to replace a Google search box with a Yahoo Search box for your site go here: Yahoo Search Box
    Hi, Cagles Mill,

Thanks for the Yahoo Search Box link at:

http://us.geocities.yahoo.com/v/ao/sea.html

I have just finished installing it on all the main pages of my web site to help give Yahoo a boost in it's endless battle with Google. Yahoo seems to return much more relevant results than Google, which is extremely important for a tech site such as mine.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    Cagles Mill,
    Yes Thank You!
    I have removed my google boxes and put up Yahoo!
    Tami

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread