Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Who's your favorite CJ Merchant and why?
    Just getting started and wanted to take an unofficial poll:

Who's your favorite CJ Merchant and why?

ABW Ambassador
    My favorite CJ merchant is because they convert like crazy and the AM is very nice and keeps me up to date on the latest deals and promotions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Anyone here not get a commission and CJ check from Essential Apparel?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like X10 because their banners are subliminally naughty.

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

My favorite merchants are the ones who make $10+ Adwords bids. These are the ones I get paid to send traffic to.

My favorite CJ merchants are the same as Trusts.... since kissing B**T seems to be the way to influence allies and get a few coincidences...

Wow sujacks you were not expecting these guys to bellow out their success stories huhhh...
    I would just like to where on the internet are the resources which directs you to find good niches or products? Can anyone divulge any information.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ...I made the mistake of posting a CJ niche' merchant here that earned me 200-300 monthly from my few optomized pages. The site copiers copy them and the hord of ABW sleezebags jumped all over the merchant to a point they had to resort to huge 800# and house cookie setting ploys and even got enticed by some BHO's and a did drop shipping for some Duper affiliate merchant poser. Lucky to make 300.00 from them now on the same traffic.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Guess I really just wanted to hear from those who've had experience and find out which merchants are decent to work with and what makes them decent. Should I simply be looking for merchants with lots of good current promotions/ads?

ABW Ambassador
    As far as merchants at CJ, you can do a search for them here at ABW and see what people have said about them. There are some merchants that have forums here with affiliate managers that are very helpful. You can check out the merchants EPC and that'll give an indication on how their program is doing as a whole, how you do with them can be entirely different. You can check out the merchants Network Earnings. Leader gave a great post on that and EPC at CJ, but i can't find it. Sometimes you just have to try them out and see what works for you. What works great for one person might not work for you and vice versa. There are many different variables, like what kind of site you have, what kind of traffic you're getting and how targetted it is etc.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Sujacks, this much I can say: Merchants that are not partnered with adware or parasiteware will make you more money. See if your merchant is on one of the lists at http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/merchant_list.html
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    "Merchants that are not partnered with adware or parasiteware will make you more money"

Not necessarily. I have a shopping site and have hundreds and hundreds of merchants, infested as hell to completely clean and some of my best merchants are infested. I'll give you one example. I tried Nature Hills and the infested garden merchants just killed them. Give you another. Have an outdoors site and have tried every outdoors merchant out there. Cabelas converts the best and makes me the most money. Sadly the ones usually infested tend to be the bigger brands and people are more apt to buy from a merchant they've actually heard of.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I had one of my best cj merchants which was for the most part parasite free suddenly go in the toilet (and stay there). After checking around, I found them to be on a bunch of parasite lists. I also noticed that all of sudden they were not being promoted via ppc by affiliates any longer.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    My former best merchant was parasite free. Back then, I could get $2,000 a month in commissions, several sales daily, just from them alone. Then conversions plunged, sales vanished, I get 1 or 2 sales a week from them now. They were no longer the best. I checked again and found they were now parasite infested. Go figure!

When you guys say parasite infected or adware merchants, what do you mean?

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants that have affiliates that steal the sales of other affiliates through the rogue affiliate's software that is downloaded into the customer's PCs.

Hmm
    So is there a way to avoid this from happening you? How can one tell? Is there a list of these mershants available so we can see who to avoid and what programs to keep far far from?

Click the link above that Cheesehead posted. On that page is a list of the companies that download the software on customers' PCs. When you click on each name, a list of merchants they promote comes up.

In answer to sujacks original question, I would have to say that eBay is my favorite affiliate program. First, because I make more money with them than anybody else. Second, because they work in very well with everything I promote.

This works for me, but doesn't necessarily work for others depending on the type of site they have. I promote products, not companies. I've removed just about all the banners from my site because banners direct people to the home page, and I've had more success landing people exactly on the item they are looking for.

A lot of the items that I promote get discontinued in time. That's where eBay comes in so beautifully. When I add a new product line to my site, I always put an editior kit at the bottom of the page for the eBay listings, even if nothing appears because the item is so new. At the top of the page I put up pictures and direct links to the items. The page develops traffic, and generates sales.

In time (two or three years) the product is discontinued and I can't find any merchants selling it any more. At that point, I remove the direct links to products, but leave the pictures and editor kit, which by now is producing listings at eBay. I don't have to take down the page, and it continues to earn income.

I have a page for one very popular product line that was discontinued about three years ago after being in production for about 25 years. Even though the manufacturer doesn't make it any more, you can find at least 100 listings for it at eBay any day. Last year (when clicks were still 5 cents and registrations were $5, until June) I earned $1,066.90 just from that page. Exactly $1,000 was in registrations and $66.90 was in bids.

Nobody else is promoting that product line, and even after the reindexing at Google, my page is still Number 1. Develop a few hundred pages like that, and you can see why I am so gung-ho on eBay.

I have another line which is broken down specifically into about 250 individual pages. Last year that group earned $5,182.30 at eBay.

I miss that post somehow, thanks tracy.
    I have not reach to the point of building a website as yet. My present job is too hectic fot that. So I have joined a few affiliate sites and is promoting their products. I am using ppc but the results are not soo favourable. I was just checking the stats, I am getting clicks but no one is buying the products. I guess I have to look over my landing page and see whats up. PPC is really expensive, that is why I think it is important to hit the hammer on the head in ppc marketing. I am not going to mention how much money I have already lost. Where are the niches?

I started my site back in August 2000 while I was still working. It was six little pages. I gradually built the site and my income, and was able to quit my job in March 2003. I can't believe it has been two years. It certainly has been two of the best years of my life.

I definitely would spend my time and money developing a site instead of relying just on ppc. You've already said that route has lost you more money than you care to mention. If you start small and build on that, eventually it can grow into something. How can you grow ppc? About 85% of my traffic comes from return visitors. How can you get returns if you don't have a site?

Personally, I don't think looking for a niche is the way to go. Starting with something you are interested in and passionate about would be where I would start because you can probably write about such a subject with interest and authority. Not to mention you can learn a lot too.

I've developed knowledge in areas I knew nothing about two years ago. As I stated before, I'm heavily involved in promoting eBay. In setting up all those eBay pages, I've learned a lot about what is selling and what people are looking for. I've been able to expand on that to the point that I can walk into Goodwill, I can spot an item that will make a profit at eBay. I've bought items for $3 at Goodwill and sold them for $30 at eBay.

Because I no longer have to answer to an employer, I can do pretty much whatever I want. If I don't feel like working on my site, I can hit Goodwill and find goodies to sell and make money that way.

It's a building process. The time you spend researching and setting up keywords at ppc, could be better spent building a site.

Just my two cents.

My favorite merchants are the ones that convert with less than 50 clicks :-)

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Thanks Cheesehead! That affiliate fair play link was helpful! I certainly have a better understanding of what these parasites are that everyone talks about.

Appreciate everyone's good ideas - I'm just getting started - my site is in develpment and I'm excited to get going.

I am a CJ Merchant that wants to apply for ABestWeb's Trusted Merchant status. My site is Shoeline.com and our #1 goal is to be parasite free (at a huge cost to us as we have fired many affiliates for being parasites). Any ideas on how to attract parasite free affiliates as well as apply for ABW's Trusted Merchant?

paulmellet, you need to contact Haiko, owner of the board at email haiko[at]abestweb dot com.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast