What's LinkShare to do with this...
    I hope y'all can help me understand why this link...

http://go.sunspotweb.com/s?si=1007&c...3918G81G35079A

is being redirected to this dead page ...

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...rbr223bb57b035

The first link is from SunSpotWeb which should take my customer to a credit card application. It worked fine a few days ago when I first loaded the page on my site. Now, I find all my Chase and Bank of America links from SunSpotWeb are going to some link from linksynergy.com.

The next big question is why when we type in http://linksynergy.com we are redirected to Link Share at http://www.linkshare.com/ ... what gives?? I have no connection to Link Share and all of SunSpotWeb's other links work perfectly.

I did post a similar question elsewhere but that was before I remembered there was a specific Link Share related area. Admin. is invited to delete previous post if need be.

I hope someone out there will advise!

Many thanks in advance!

Lyte

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    One needs to digest the so called merchant's real ebiz plan before joining up and sending hard foughtover traffic to them. Carefully analize their business and role in acquiring credit card application information.

Sunspot, Inc. located in Burbank, California, is a leading online marketing firm with over 4 years of online marketing experience, specializing in pay-for-performance marketing programs.

At Sunspot, Inc. we take our business and your business very seriously. We take pride on providing the highest paying, highest quality, and fastest growing online affiliate marketing network available in the industry. We continuously strive to develop, maintain, and establish a 4x WIN situation.

What are Sunspot's Affiliate Marketing Networks?
    Simply put, Sunspot's Affiliate Marketing Networks are arrangements in which an online Merchant Partner pays an Affiliate Partner a commission to send them traffic and/or customers. Affiliate Partners post links on their web sites to our Merchant Partner's website and are paid according to a particular agreement. This agreement is usually based on the number of people the Affiliate Partner sends to the Merchant Partner's website, the number of people who buy something, or perform some other action. Some agreements pay according to the number of people who visit the page containing our Merchant Partner's banner advertisement. Basically, if a link on an Affiliate Partner's website brings our Merchant Partner's website traffic or money, Sunspot pays the Affiliate Partner according to their agreement.

Parties involved in our Affiliate Marketing Network:

Visitor (Potential Customer, Customer, or Consumer)
    Affiliate Partner (Your Established Website)
    Merchant Partner (Products and/or Services Provider)
    Sunspot, Inc. (Affiliate Marketing Network)
    Over the past few years, affiliate programs have grown enormously in popularity. For many websites that don't deal much in e-commerce (selling products or services online) themselves, functioning as a Sunspot Affiliate Partner is a good way to participate in e-commerce and generate additional income.

Sunspot, Inc. offers two basic types of affiliate payment agreements. Affiliate payment agreements may vary amongst our Merchant Partners:

Pay-per-sale (also called cost-per-sale): In this arrangement, Sunspot pays an Affiliate Partner when you send our Merchant Partner a customer who purchases something. The Affiliate Partner shall be paid either a percentage of the sale and or a fixed amount per sale.
    Pay-per-lead (cost-per-lead): In this arrangement, Sunspot pays our Affiliate Partners based on the number of visitors they refer and who sign up as leads. This simply means the visitor fills out some requested information at our Merchant Partner's website, which our Merchant Partner may use as a sales lead or sell to another company as a sales lead.
    How is Sunspot's Affiliate Marketing Networks Administered?
    Sunspot's Affiliate Marketing Networks are pretty simple in concept, but a lot of behind-the-scenes work is necessary to make it work properly. In order for our Affiliate Partners to be compensated, Sunspot needs to keep track of the actual activity surrounding the Affiliate Partner's link to our Merchant Partner's website.

Depending on your arrangement with Sunspot, we might need to determine:

the number of people who click on our Merchant Partner's website link on your website
    the number of people who buy something or performing some other predetermined action once your website redirects them to our Merchant Partner's website.
    the number of people who see our Merchant Partner's website banner advertisement on your website
    How does Sunspot's Affiliate Marketing Network know when a visitor clicks from an Affiliate Partner to the Merchant Partner's website?
    In most cases, the answer is that the visitor doesn't actually go directly to the Merchant Partner's website, but instead to a page on the Affiliate Marketing Network website.

The URL for the page contains several pieces of information, including:

an identification number for the Affiliate Partner
    an identification number for the Merchant Partner
    the URL of the Merchant Partner's website
    When the visitor clicks on the link, the Affiliate Marketing Network website records a hit on that particular URL, which tells Sunspot which Affiliate Partner sent the visitor to the Merchant Partner. The Affiliate Marketing Network website immediately sends the visitor to the actual Merchant Partner's website. This process happens so quickly that the visitor never sees any hint of the Affiliate Marketing Network in their browser window.

Linking Methods
    An Affiliate Partner's website can link to a Merchant Partner's website in a number of ways. The best linking method depends on the nature of the affiliate and the nature of the merchant. Each kind of link is specially suited for particular purposes. Common types of links include:

Text links: The advantage of text links in an Affiliate Partner's website is that they are ingrained in the content of the website and don't look so much like advertisements. For a lot of Affiliate Partner websites, this is the most natural way to link to Merchant Partner's website.
    Banner links: These links appear as boxes, usually containing words and some sort of graphic element. They may be the best choice when you think a text link doesn't do enough to attract visitors.
    Search box: This type of link allows visitors to search an online database on another site. The results of the search are links to other pages on the site.
    What Makes Sunspot Affiliate Marketing Network Successful?
    Through the Affiliate Partner application approval process, Sunspot ensures that the affiliate partner is aligned with our Merchant Partner. Sunspot establishes a 4x WIN situation for our Affiliate Partners, Merchant Partners, and customers. The Affiliate Partner wins because it is able to sell products to its visitors without having to run an e-commerce business. Our Merchant Partners win because our Affiliate Partners send visitors/customers they would not typically get. The visitor/customer wins because the Affiliate Partner's website directs them to products and services they are interested in, which they can then purchase easily.

Affiliate Partners + Customers + Merchant Partners + Sunspot, Inc.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    go.sunspotweb.com DNS resolves to go.metareward.com (whois registered to NetFlip).

What you have here is mutliple layers of 'affiliates'. They are an affiliate with Chase and Bank of America through Linkshare like you are an affiliate with sunspotweb. The linksynergy.com link is the tracking domain for Linkshare. If you put that in without in of the tracking parameters it will redirect to the main Linkshare site (linkshare.com).

If for some reason a merchant or affiliate does not have active status on LS, they will land the person on the dead page.

So you joined sunspotweb as an affiliate. But they are getting paid via LS affiliate program for those Banks. Your traffic does a credit app, the Bank pays sunspot/metarewards a commission via LS, then they pay you part of it.

Normally you wouldn't see that dead page. BTW, it seems to be going through as it should now when I clicked through on the links you provided. Even the link you gave as the dead page goes through to Chase.

Smile
    Jeeze Ms.B!!! You and me have made a great tag team since the 2nd week you arrived here. Everyone love's it when you expound thoughtful research ...rather then pounce on the bait. I don't think I ever missed one of your posts in years... Charge me a babysitter fee or at least please change my typos..... LOL

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for the responding!
    Hello City & Ms B,

Thanks so much for responding!

I did read through the who, what, where, when on SunSpotWeb so that's not my concern. I don't think so anyway. My concern is with regard to a link ... actually, several links... that seem to work for everyone else but not for me.

"If for some reason a merchant or affiliate does not have active status on LS, they will land the person on the dead page."

Okay, so does this mean that SunSpotWeb may not be set up properly with LS and this is why they are coming up dead pages??

"BTW, it seems to be going through as it should now when I clicked through on the links you provided. Even the link you gave as the dead page goes through to Chase."

Ughh... and it's still not working for me! Anytime I click on one of the Chase/BofA link I get that linksynergy dead page!

Three different people have said the links work so I guess this may prove to be a technical issue.... why is my computer the only one who can't process these links correctly?? I cleared out cookies and temp files but that doesn't make a difference either.

Again, thanks in advance for your additional feedback!

Lyte

Have you installed Kazaa or kazaa lite since you built these pages? Those will mess up linkshare links and I believe some Norton antivirus software will but I think that only blocks the ads not the links?

I don't have Norton but I've had problems with friends computers that have Kazaa lite on them.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I just deleted Shareaza from my computer, rebooted and still nothing. Links still send me to dead pages.

I do have Norton on my computer too but I'm not sure what to do with that. If it's the reason the links don't work I don't know how to adjust the settings to keep it from interfering with the links.

Thoughts?

Lyte

Now it's a tech question...
    Okay, I hate to be a pest 'bout this but...

I'm checking those links from my office and y'all are right... they work! So, the question remains, why aren't they working from my home computer???

Anyone have any ideas?? I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks!

Lyte

Come to my house and I'll perform a Exocism on your Pc. Either that or download the fixes and check the links at www.ecomcity.com/news.htm

Well it seems that I'm not the only having trouble. On another forum a few members found the links working but one who uses FireFox as a browser said the links didn't work for him either.

Well, I need to figure this out otherwise I can't use SSW for my Chase, Advanta and BofA cards. I can't just assume a link is working. Bummer!

I'll check out your site!

Thanks!

Lyte

Check your "hosts" file. That's what I usually find to be the problem when I have customers who have problems with affiliate links.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Check your "hosts" file. That's what I usually find to be the problem when I have customers who have problems with affiliate links.
    Please forgive my ignorance but what you do mean by "hosts file?" I get you mean where the site is being hosted... but what exactly am I looking for??

Thanks!

Lyte

I'm happy to report the issue with the links has been resolved! As suggested on various forums it had to do with a file called "hosts" on my computer. It needed a good sweeping out and once the file was cleaned the links work like a charm!

Thanks to all for your help!!

Lyte

Leave a tip in Haiko's Tip Jar on the way out.... LOL.

If your 'hosts' file needed sweeping, I suggest you go and download a bunch of anti-spyware programs and let them all scan your hard drive. Hosts files don't just get filled, so it's quite likely some software has been trying to interfere with your PC. This could be dangerous and costly, because if you do online banking, it could, in theory, divert you to a fake banking site and steal your login details (just an example).

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    If your 'hosts' file needed sweeping, I suggest you go and download a bunch of anti-spyware programs and let them all scan your hard drive.Rolf
    To be sure! I got jacked by some spyware a month ago. Now my Spy Sweeper runs a complete scan each night at 2 am. I'm also getting router with a firewall next week! Sheesh, we aren't even safe at home 'no mo'.

Lyte

If I may be so bold, I recommend you use more than one anti-spyware tool to clean out your PC. There is not a single tool that can find all spyware threats. See the tests performed here:
    http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

I would recommend the MicroSoft anti-spyware tool (which is also known as Giant AS (came out best in those tests)), Spyware Search and Destroy (free), Lavasoft Adaware (free). I have those three on my PC as well as a copy of PestPatrol (non-free). PP used to be the best in my opinion, but others have caught up and even surpassed it now.

I believe that a program called Hitman Pro is actually a good place to start. I believe it packs a bunch of other anti-spyware programs and installs them all. It's like a bundle of anti-spyware software with an added layer to control them all more easily.

And if you really want to clean your PC, I suggest you look into software called Hijackthis. It's a tool that searches all known locations for spyware to hide and outputs a list of all running processes and IE toolbars and stuff. You then go to a Hijackthis related forum, post your generated logfiles and people there will tell you what to delete and what to keep.

I hope that made any sense. Good luck with the firewall and router!

Rolf

Thanks for responding! I always appreciate suggestions on how to better keep my computers safe!

I'll definately take a gander at the additional pieces of software you suggest. One can never be too safe these days!

Thanks again!

Lyte

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread