Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On the old CJ Forum, there were some really great tips from successful affiliates on designing pages that created revenue. I believe Leader posted some great information, and many others did as well.

I don't recall all of the tips, but some of them were very good, and some of them also advised of things to NOT do on a page if you want people to buy from you.

I guess most of this is information may be spread around ABW somewhere, but it's not easy to find. How about a new forum where the pros can offer advice on what to do, as well as what not to do, and the newcomers to ABW would have a place of reference to start their education.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess most of this is information may be spread around ABW somewhere, but it's not easy to find. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is if ya know how to find it. Here's what I did :

1. Go to "Search"
    2. Put in a member number of a member who you consider to be a "guru".
    3. Choose "Search All open Forums"
    4. Choose "Any Date"
    5. Submit!

... and voila! dig in and have fun!

That's probably the best way to find the info you want. As you go back thru the archives, you'll realize there has been enough copying (hence the term "pranaving") that it may be difficult to get anyone to post that kind of info again. I don't blame them one bit if they wouldn't.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

ABW Ambassador
    A twist on the forum idea would be an archive section where stellar helpful threads are archived and always available to read (I'd lock them because newbies might post questions that would never get answered because regulars probably wouldn't read there more than once).

Yeah Cedric, I thought of that too. For one thing, I'm sure it gets tiresome posting the same stuff over and over.

I think it's unfortunate that people have to copy someone else's site, in fact that's one of the first things I was told: don't post your URL unless you want your site copied all over the Internet!

And I certainly don't expect the guru's to give away the secrets to the farm, but let's face it if you really wanted to copy someone, the place to do it is not here! There are better ways.

The search function is OK, but then you have to weed through a lot of stuff that doesn't apply. Plus, the search on this site has been very slow when I've used it.

At the top right corner of ABW it says "Make Your Site The Best!" Shouldn't there be a forum that actually gives us tips on how to do that?

It seems there is room for good, basic information that could be shared with everyone, and without divulging any secrets.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like a good idea to me - kinda like a knowledgebase.

Why not call it Abestweb Academy and point all the newbies in that direction when they join up. That way they could get up and running quickly without someone having to answer the same questions repeatedly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Only problem with the search thing is it takes forever to trawl the whole board..................

ABW Ambassador
    I vote for a Affiliate marketing FAQ forum, great idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The search function is OK, but then you have to weed through a lot of stuff that doesn't apply. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found informative bits even in the seemingly not applicable categories. I guess the way I see it, the information is here, all it takes is a little bit of effort to find it. Every forum or newsgroup I've ever belonged to will tell you to first search the FAQs and archives to see if a question has been already answered - it is considered good Netiquette. It isn't that difficult to do. Even if there is one it doesn't mean it will have the information you are looking for; you still may have to look for what you need. All it takes is a little bit of work.

Hey, I like that Abestweb Academy!

For someone that's new to all this, ABW can be very intimidating! I read stuff in posts all the time that makes no sense whatsoever to me, and I've been developing sites since 1999, which doesn't make me an oldtimer, but I have been around it for awhile.

I think a central location for some of the basics is a good idea, and it would be a good point of reference to send people to when they are just getting started.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    But it could be a good idea to notify Haiko or Moderator and ask for good answers to questions to be transferred to a FAQ forum. That way we could just post , see FAQ forum to newbie questions that have come up before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But it could be a good idea to notify Haiko or Moderator and ask for good answers to questions to be transferred to a FAQ forum. That way we could just post , see FAQ forum to newbie questions that have come up before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you on one hand ... on the other hand, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it will be a LOT of work for someone, and the information is here already; many of us have gone back and read almost the entire archives.

I just think we are leaving too much of the work to Haiko, and it's not fair to him. He shouldn't have to spoon-feed us. We should do some of our own work for a change.

ABW Ambassador
    Why would it all be left to Haiko? There are a multitude of moderators on these boards who visit every single day.

Perhaps they could pick up the 'basic information' posts and stick them in the Academy?

Your comments about spoon feeding are possibly more relevant at the newbie end of the scale. Sending them back to school when they join the boards could streamline the rest of the forums by removing
    those repetitive posts asking for basic information?

Just my 2C

Because it seems most of the work around here falls to Haiko since it's his board.

You could volunteer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Perhaps they could pick up the 'basic information' posts and stick them in the Academy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you read the archives, you'll find good "basic information" throughout; even if it's simply where someone was at in their affiliate career this time last year. It's not all in one place and someone would have to go back and find it, then decide what goes into it. It will be a lot of work for whoever does it. Personally, I wouldn't want to miss *any* of it and it's worthwhile reading. You'd be missing out on some good stuff by not going back and reading it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Your comments about spoon feeding are possibly more relevant at the newbie end of the scale. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, are you saying it's too much time and trouble to search the archives for answers if you are a newbie, or not one?

BTW - there was talk in the archives of Leader doing an e-book [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know - you'd have to ask a Newbie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I joined Abestweb when it first started - moved over from CJ when they closed the boards - perhaps you did as well, I can't comment.

I've seen Abestweb grow significantly during that time, popping out branches here and there as it went, and it's now quite a massive 'repository' for want of a better word. I can see how it would be quite daunting for a Newbie to trawl through all of that info, especially when the search facility is so poor.

In another post I read today it was suggested that many of the Abestweb members are 'lurkers' who don't post - I for one don't think that there's over 4000 people posting here. Perhaps they're not lurkers, but people who came, joined, and then couldn't really get into the flow of things and gave up? Just a thought, I could be completely wrong.

I still think a training area for newbies, in plain, simple English would be of benefit to all.

ABW Ambassador
    I find the search archives feature painfully slow. Perhaps I am using it wrongly. I have an ADSL line so it should be OK. I think moderators are here to read all the threads of their forums. I dont see it as a major job, especially as time goes on, the posts will add up.

It would certainly be nice to see a highlights of ABW to see where people were last year. Maybe we could just start a thread. Where were you this time last year. where are you now?

I think I will go and start it now.

I'm wondering if the purpose wouldn't be better served by a more powerful search ... I mean, if you've been here since the beginning then you know how a seemingly nothing thread that starts out about the weather can turn into something useful down the line. That's where I miss the old WWWBoard format - each message was saved as a separate file and you didn't have to wade thru all kinds of other stuff to find what you wanted.

edited for (spelling! :eek: )

ABW Ambassador
    A more powerful search facility would be of significant benefit, but I'm hanging on to Abestweb Academy, so I can brag in the forums for years to come that I coined the phrase [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually the other day in the chat I stated that we would have a compilation of the best threads and would have them on affiliatecourses.com so I guess a link on affiliatecourses.com will go to ABestWeb Academy forum.

Please keep in mind that such forum will take at least two weeks to propagate.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Haikster, do I get my claim to fame badge then, do I , do I? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I find the search archives feature painfully slow. Perhaps I am using it wrongly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PerfectG, it depends on how you go about your search. There are a lot of ways you can narrow things down that will make it much faster. You've got to start with a good idea of what you are looking for; just like with a search engine.

Maybe I should come up with a "how to find what you want on ABW" post ... problem is it's one of those things I have no problem doing myself, but as far as trying to explain it I'm at a loss.

(maybe I should just volunteer to do the knowledgebase)

Microdot,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haikster, do I get my claim to fame badge then, do I , do I? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YEP [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

FYI - the mySQL /PHP search is almost instantaneous.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Hang on a cotton-pickin' minute Haiko - is that a recent upgrade?

Last time I did a search on here it took forever and displayed some message about a limited number of results being returned or something?

The claim to fame badge is for coining the phrase Abestweb Academy by the way, not for getting it wrong re. the search thing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

microdot,

The PHP/mySQL isn't up yet.

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Please wait... we are processing your search request...
    Matches Thus Far: 16

Note: there is a limit to the number of matches that will be returned.

Sit tight... We are taking you back to: Search Continuing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And on....and on.....

Oh when will the PHP/mySQL search be available then pal?

hey - it's faster than waiting to hear back from CJ support!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast